[Imc-newsroom] NEWSROOM: 1-28-01 meeting notes

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 30 00:58:15 CST 2001

Urbana-Champaign News Room
1-28-01 Meeting Notes

Paul Kaiser is researching the status of midwifery in Illinois, working
with Sarah K and looking for guidance in finding the proper venue for this
story.  Encouraged to work with IMC News.

Paul R. suggests that when we go over stories both covered and to be
covered that we consider the venue for the story: Radio/WEFT/WILL,
Print/Octopus, website, archive, or others.  Knowing the venue will help us
prioritize time and other resources.

Danielle brings up the idea of continuing to do stories for WEFT now that
the 'newshour' series is coming to a close.  Proposes doing 1 or 2 drop-ins
a week for play during Morning Menu or other interested shows, and possibly
a weekly half-hour.  Paul R. notes that there are no open slots, and that
Nat'l Radio Project news will replace Pacifica for a trial run.  Mark E., a
WEFT Programming Committee member, confirms this.  Some general agreement
that drop-ins are most feasible to start.

Recap: stories covered in the last week
============================
Covered on last Monday's WEFT show: Dave Johnson story, IP treecutting, J20
protests, Feature on the County Board

Monsanto researcher talk at U of I covered by Sehvilla.  Will write a
commentary to be posted on website.

IL Green Party meeting in Urbana covered by Paul K.  Will be a short radio
piece for Monday's WEFT show.

Interview with Urbana Councilperson Esther Patt on Comprehensive Plan, done
by Pauline for Monday WEFT show.

Outreach trip to Springfield group forming IMC.  Paul R. will write a short
summary for Monday WEFT show.

Upcoming Stories:
===============

GEO big meeting.  IL AFL-CIO president will be there.  Sascha and Paul K.
will do audio, Brent will take pictures.

Labor  57,000 layoffs in Bush's first week, includes parent co. of Bell
Helmet.  What is local effect?  Open for coverage.

Bio-tech / Ag expo in Gifford this week. Paul, Andy and Sehvilla going,
will produce piece for 2/5 WEFT show.

IP tree cutting stuff  statewide action group centered in Urbana.  Molly
will provide updates.

Family and Community Activity Center in N. Champaign. Feb. 21 organizting
lunch.  We're invited and should cover.  11:45 AM  1pm, NW corner of Neil
and Springfield.  Sascha, Brent, Mark and Molly will go.

School Climate Report  Feb. 1, will go to Planning and Implementation
Committee.  Maybe a member of that committee will talk to press?

Campaign 2001  local campaigns for city council, mayor.  What kind of coverage?

Other Business:
============

Having Beats  Paul R. brings it up, noting that it's come up several
times.  Should think about for next meeting.

Progressive Librarians Research Service  Ellen says Librarians are
interested in offering a research/reference serviceis News interested?  We are.

Paul R reports that Octopus interested in working with us.

Status of ongoing investigations:  U of I & Military?  Sehvilla says it's
on hiatus.  Greg Brown?  No update.

Items for future agendas:
Mentoring and training (reporting and tech.)
	Division of labor, beats
	Where to output stories.

Would like to set up a bulletin board in back room for posting and tracking
stories.

NOTE: If you finish a story bring the finished product to the News meeting.

NEXT MEETING: Sunday 2/4 at 1:00pm, Paul R. facilitating.  Up for
discussion: beats & division of labor.