[Imc-newsroom] proposed PSA-plain text (sorry 'bout that last one)

Omar Ricks omarricks at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:13:54 CDT 2001

This is going to several working groups with which I'm involved-- and,
hopefully, to some people in the steering group who can actually approve
this.
A little over a week ago, I told Sascha I would help come up with a Public
Service Announcement to go on WEFT that would ask people to donate all or
part of their tax refunds to the IMC. Well, here (at last) is my first
attempt. Please make comments and suggest improvements. (Personally, I think
it's a bit long to be a PSA...)
Thanks.
Omar
******************
Donate Your Three to the IMC!
The Independent Media Center is a local non-profit that helps citizens
become journalists, a resource for anyone who knows that the mainstream
media isn’t telling us the half of it.
We need your support to start a local newspaper, to produce community news
segments, and to keep the local, national, and international movement of
citizen journalists alive.
George W. and Dick Cheney think that $300 tax refunds can buy your support
for their administration--that’s a hundred dollars each for big oil, big
energy, and big tobacco to buy your apathy while they keep tightening their
grip on your freedoms.
That’s pretty cheap!
Is $300 enough to buy your apathy for an administration that values the
profits of HMOs, pharmaceutical companies, and nuclear plants over the
health of you and your children?
Don’t invest your refunds in the companies that will have you coughing ten
years from now and then charge you three thousand dollars for medications.
Give Your Three to the IMC!
Donate all or part of your refund to the non-profit that helps you fights
back. Most of us won't see anywhere near $300. But please give what you can.
Support your local Independent Media Center. Send your donations to the
URBANA-CHAMPAIGN INDEPENDENT MEDIA CENTER
218 W. MAIN ST.
URBANA, IL 61801
(217) 344-8820

And check us out on the Web to urbana.indymedia.org for more information on
how you can get involved.
That’s Urbana-dot-I-N-D-Y-media-dot-O-R-G.
Thank you!

Omar

I freed hundreds of slaves
and could have freed hundreds more