[Imc-newsroom] Life in the Bike Lane

Pauline Bartolone alice_redqueen at hotmail.com
Thu May 24 08:11:04 CDT 2001

The Life in the Bike Lane WEFT morning drop-in started airing Mondays and
Wednesdays in the month of May. For a very hectic and transitional month to
start producing this program, I think a sturdy foundation is developing.

I have developed many contacts and program ideas that could be easily passed
on to others who would be interested in following up on them.
I was the one who proposed the drop-in for the IMC, but I assumed I would be
among many producers. Help make this be true. I will be away for a few weeks
in June, and it would be nice if a few people volunteered to help out with
some shows.

So maybe I have to make the invitation more explicit. I invite anyone to
come up with a show idea, perform interviews, do audio editing, or produce
an entire show. Its a great way to start out with audio production and media
production in general. The drop-ins are only up to 5 minutes long. Thanks to
Paul K, we have an excellent and amusing intro and outro.

Let me offer some contacts/features ideas I rounded up that could be passed
on. Email me back if you are interested:

1.Folks from the Green Party said that they would be involved in a show
about:   -renewable energy in Champaign County
         -municipality owned utilities
         -police review board

2.Bike lanes on green street. I already have an interview and some text that
could be read, it just needs a couple more short interviews and it would be
a great piece.

3. Community gardens:
         Beardsley Park Neighborhood Garden
         Oregon plot community/permaculture garden

4. Buying locally produced food: Food co-ops
         I interviewed someone from Common Ground already, just a
couple of more interviews needed.

5. The 40 acre hog farm coming to Champaign county- Bellflower dairy farm-
Factory farms in our community

6. Marc Miller of the Prairie Rivers Network said he could contribute
something- Someone could interview him about the Emberass River being
recently channelled due to urban growth, or the Black Beauty Coal mine
issue.

7. University growing south

8.Assesment of the Campus Area Transportation Study (CATS)

9. Other Sustainable Transportation issues such as a high speed rail system
in Illinois.

These are just some ideas that I thought I would throw out there.
What else can I say to make this project sexy?

Thanks, Pauline