[Imc-newsroom] Making Contact production calendar

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 23 16:10:15 CDT 2001

for those who are interested in producing, there are still several
openings for making contact.  the UCIMC has been asked on multiple
occasions to produce for this nationally syndicated show.  thus far, noone
has done so -- anyone want to break some new ground?

--sascha

Making Contact
Production Schedule
updated: October 22, 2001
managing producer: Phillip Babich -- (510) 251-1332 ex. 103

#01-43
Uplink: October 24, 2001 -- Status: PRODUCED
Title:  "Whose Beacon of Freedom?: U.S. Foreign Intervention"
of freedom," charing that terrorist attacks against the nation are
attacks against freedom and democracy everywhere.  But, in many
instances worldwide the U.S. government has been behind military efforts
to overthrow or undermine democratic governments and movements.  On this
program, we take a look at the U.S. track record on promoting democracy.

#01-44
Uplink: October 31, 2001 -- Status: PRODUCED
Title: "Coal Fever: Industry Priorities and Public Policy"
many executives and lobbyists from the oil, gas, nuclear, and coal
industries.  On this program we look at how industry ties to the
administration affect U.S. energy policy. We also have an investigative
report on a top Bush appointee.

#01-45
Uplink: November 7, 2001 -- Status: PRODUCED
Title: "More for Our Buck?: U.S. Tax Policy and Economic Inequality"
uncertainty swirling in the air domestically, some analysts are raising
questions about the wisdom of President Bush's tax cuts.  Federal
revenue shortfalls and increased military spending may put vital social
programs in jeopardy.  On this program, we take a look at U.S. tax
policy and economic inequality.

#01-46
Uplink: November 14, 2001 -- Status: ASSIGNED
Title: "When the Media Report for Duty: War and Truth"
armed conflict.  Whose interests do the mass media serve when the U.S.
goes to war?
Deadline: October 24, 2001
Final Mix: October 25, 2001
Tapes to Stations: November 5, 2001
Coordinator: Stephanie Welch
 #01-47
Uplink: November 21, 2001 -- Status: ASSIGNED
Title: "Trade Coup: Plan Puebla Panama"
government and the Zapatista rebels in the southern state of Chiapas.
Some observers say a new trade pact, Plan Puebla Panama, could allow for
greater military and business incursions into Zapatista territory.  On
this program, we take a look at this free trade agreement, its
implications, and whether the U.S. war on terrorism could provide cover
for the Mexican government to deal with the Zapatistas.
 Segments:
 Schrieber on Biodiversity
 Ruiz on Overview
 Babich q/a on trade pacts and post Sept. 11
Deadline: October 31, 2001
Final Mix: November 1, 2001
Tapes to Stations: November 12, 2001
Coordinator: Phillip Babich

#01-48
Uplink: November 28, 2001 -- Status: ASSIGNED
Title: "A Drug Kind of War: U.S. in Colombia"
hottest spots in the world.  Ostensibly fighting a "drug war" with U.S.
financing and military support and training, the Colombian military has
been trying to win its three-decades old civil war against left-wing
guerilla groups.  U.S. military and corporate interests run high in that
Andean country.  What does the so-called war on terrorism mean for the
situation?  On this program we take a look at this and other questions
concerning U.S. policy on Colombia.
Deadline: November 7, 2001
Final Mix: November 8, 2001
Tapes to Stations: November 21, 2001
Coordinator: Phillip Babich

#01-49
Uplink: December 5, 2001 -- Status: ACCEPTING PITCHES
Title: "Trumped?: National Sovereignty, Globalization and Terrorism"
crafted by international financial institutions affect the governing
power of nations.  We also see how Bush's international coalition
against terrorism is weighing in on sovereignty.
 Segments:
Olukoya on Nigeria
Deadline: November 14, 2001
Final Mix: November 15, 2001
Tapes to Stations: November 26, 2001
Coordinator: Stephanie Welch

 #01-50
Uplink: December 12, 2001
Title: TBA

#01-51
Uplink: December 19, 2001
Title: TBA

#01-52
Uplink: December 26, 2001 -- Status: ASSIGNED
Title: Archive Edition -- TBA
Deadline: November 28, 2001
Final Mix: November 29, 2001
Tapes to Stations: December 17, 2001
Coordinator: Stephanie Welch

#02-01
Uplink: January 2, 2002 -- Status: ASSIGNED
Title: Roundtable Edition -- TBA
Deadline: December 5, 2001
Final Mix: December 6, 2001
Tapes to Stations: December 20, 2001
Coordinator: Phillip Babich

#02-02
Uplink: January 9, 2001
Title: ["Punishment of Poor Mothers"] -- Status: ASSIGNED
Descripton: This program will look at some challenges, problems and
solutions confronting poor mothers and their children - It will include
several stories which illustrate what happens when the drug war
intersects with the wars against reproductive choice, civil rights and
the rights of poor people.  It will also include positive strategies for
change.  Segments on:  1) arrests of women who give birth and are tested
for drug use; 2) Removal of children to foster care when women are using
drugs; 3) New underreported welfare laws requiring or admonishing women
to get/stay married to men (even if there’s domestic violence) in order
to receive welfare benefits.
Deadline: December 12, 2001
Final Mix: December 13, 2001
Tapes to Stations: December 27, 2001
Coordinator: Lisa Rudman, NRP Women's Desk
 Programs Without Uplink Dates

Title: "Sneak Attacks: Congressional Action During U.S. Air Strikes"
nominations that have gotten little attention because of the so-called
war on terrorism.

Title: [Oil Interests in the Middle East, South-Central Asia, and the
Balkans]
East, South-Central Asia, and the Balkans.  We also look at Bush-Cheney
administration oil industry ties and how those weigh on U.S. policy in
the regions.

Title: "Home Field Disadvantage: Impacts of Stadium Construction"
construction.
Segment deadline: October 31, 2001
Coordinator: Phillip Babich

Title: "Water Harvest: A Look at Desalinization Plants"
impacts of desalinization plants.
Segment deadline: November 7, 2001
Coordinator: Phillip Babich

Title: [Sexism and Racism: Intersections]
who attended the UN World Conference on Racism in Durban, South
Africa.   We had several ideas of angles in advance of going to the
conference but now that we’re all back home we need to evaluate what we
have and make a production plan.  We feel the conference and issues
discussed was grossly underreported and skewed in the U.S. mainstream
media.  Even less present or accurate were perspectives on racism
through a gender lens.
Coordinator: Lisa Rudman, NRP Women's Desk

Title: [Anti-Globalization Movement Building Since Seattle 1999]
organizing against corporate-globalization over the past two years.
Segment deadline: November 14, 2001
Coordinators: Phillip Babich

Title: [Ethics and Medical Research]
practices in the medical and pharmaceutical fields.
Segment deadline: December 12, 2001
Coordinator: Phillip Babich

--
Phillip Babich