[Imc-newsroom] could someone write a story for Bloomington Normal's indy?

Nick Berveiler naberve at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 5 15:07:57 CDT 2001

Our second issue of the indy is out and is a labor day oriented issue with
some history of labor in Bloomington Normal thanks to Mike Matejka.
Unfortunately, I am the only person who gets out to Urbana to distribute
the paper and I won't be in town until this coming Sunday. I wasn't able to
make it out to Urbana last Sunday. If I could get people who are working on
the distribution of the "public i" to work on distribution of the indy as
well in Urbana I think greatly appreciate it. The only place I have been
distributing the indy is at the Urbana IMC. If anyone has recommendations
of places to distribute, please let me know. I can work on distribution of
the "public i" in Bloomington Normal.

Our next issue is going to be criticisms about the Vidette, ISU's student
newspaper. I think it would be great if I can get a news story about what
its like in Urbana having two conservative newspapers (local and student)
with a perspective from people working on independent media. The media
situation here is similar to what's happening in Urbana Champaign except I
think you all have more resources than we do. (U-C IMC, WEFT, School for
Designing a Society)

Themes for the story could be about what its like in Urbana: Do students
pay attention to the daily illini and not the news gazette? (a lot of
students here seem to only read the Vidette and not the Pantagraph) What is
so horrible about the media in Urbana that has inspired you all to take up
news reporting for yourselves? What similarities have you noticed between
the media situation in U-C compared to B-N? How can both cities communicate
with each other more through the media?

Ideally this story would be best written by someone in Urbana since you all
read the news gazette and daily illini enough to know where these media
outlets have failed you. Otherwise, I would probably just write this story
myself.

Our next issue will be coming out Thursday, Sept 13th and a deadline for a
submission would probably be by next week Tuesday at the latest. If someone
is interested in writing such a story, please let me know that you are
working on a story. This news story could also be written in the distant
future and would still be considered relevant to B-N's indy. If anyone has
an old story with similar themes that might be able to be re-written for
our paper.

Nick