[Imc-newsroom] FYI-Starbucks and reprisals following Sep. 11 attacks

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Mon Sep 24 18:40:15 CDT 2001

>"Starbucks Coffee does not have a policy stating that partners (employees)
>who missed work specifically because of the WTC attacks will be terminated."

That's Starbucks' position on using absences related to the Sep. 11 attacks
as an excuse to fire union activists.  The Starbucks spokesperson, Audrey
Lincoff, sent me the statement via email on Friday.  I contacted her after
receiving the article at the bottom of this message.

The article's author told me the following:

>You might be interested to know that the Washington State Labor Council
>(which posted this story to its email list of WA state union officers, staff
>and activists) says it has been barraged with calls & emails about this
>story, with people saying they are outraged and asking what they can do.
>
>One state Sen. contacted WSLC and told the lobbying director that she
>doubted the story's veracity. She said she could not believe that any
>company, no matter how anti-union, could be so "insensitive and stupid." At
>WSLC's request, I will be trying tomorrow to put this legislator in touch
>with IUOE and/or Don Goodson.
>
>One other note on the story I will be following up on -- Don has appealed
>the "occurences" being put in his personnel file. He can possibly get the
>marks removed if he proves, through documentary evidence (such as copies of
>flight manifests?) that he actually was stuck in Texas....

Sept. 20, 2001

Starbucks Wants Double-Tall Non-Union Roasting Plant
http://seattle.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=7093&group=webcast

By Mike Blain Seattle Independent Media Center

Seattle, Wash. -- Don Goodson was given three black marks in his personnel
file last week. He had missed several scheduled shifts at his job at
Starbuck’s roasting plant just south of Seattle. His excuse: He just
couldn’ t make it in to work.

He says he called his Starbuck’s manager and explained why he would be
unable to come in. When he returned to work he learned that he had been
given three “occurrences.” Nine such marks in his personnel file and he
could be fired.

The reason Goodson had to miss work? He was stranded in Austin, Texas, at
the tail end of his scheduled vacation. The day was September 11, 2001. In
Austin, as in the rest of the nation, all commercial air traffic had been
suspended in the wake of the terrorist attacks on New York City and
Washington D.C.

Starbucks gives “occurrences” to workers (whom the company calls
“partners”) for things such as tardiness, unexcused work absences, safety
violations, and shoddy work. And, apparently, for being stranded in another
city after a terrorist attack shuts down all the nation’s commercial
airlines. Goodson was told by his Starbucks manager that his phone call
from Texas and verbal explanation of his absence were not enough. The
derogatory marks would be entered into his file.

“It astounds me that they can go about treating people this way and get
away with it,” says Goodson.

When asked about the situation, Starbucks spokesperson Audry Linkoff said:
“It is our policy not to comment on partner employment.”

  Workers Say Company Targets Union Supporters

Goodson is one of 18 mechanics and technicians employed at the Starbucks
roasting facility, and a union supporter who has been active with the
International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE) in its efforts to
organize the plant in Kent, Wash. Despite having voted in the union more
than two years ago, and after numerous negotiating sessions with the
company, union organizers say Starbucks has yet to put a comprehensive
contract offer on the table. They say the company is more interested in
harassing and disciplining union supporters, and waging a battle of
attrition until the company can drive out most union supporters and
re-stock the bargaining unit with enough anti-union workers to win a
decertification vote.

Starbucks hired Goodson five months ago, on the recommendation of an
anti-union worker who was organizing a union decertification vote. Workers
say Starbucks management thought Goodson could play a role in helping to
vote the union out. But after he learned of the union’s contract proposals
regarding a retirement plan, he says he decided to support the union. After
the unsuccessful decertification vote, Starbucks managers claimed that
Goodson made derogatory remarks to a co-worker. Despite witness accounts to
the contrary, he was punished by being switched to the graveyard shift.

Goodson and other union supporters at the Starbucks roasting plant say that
company managers exercise broad discretionary powers when giving out
occurrences, liberally doling out the black marks to union supporters for
any real or unsubstantiated infractions, while turning a blind eye to the
tardiness, absences, safety violations, and other occurrence-worthy acts of
Starbucks workers who oppose the unionization effort.

Roasting plant workers say one union supporter was given two occurrences
for allegedly leaving a washer on a machine. The worker said he did not do
so, but, at Starbucks, if you are a union supporter it appears you are
guilty until proven innocent.

Employees tell of another anti-union worker they claim has physically
threatened at least three union supporters, both at and away from work. One
union supporter ­ the shop steward ­ recently filed a police report, and
then quit his job, because he feared for his safety after being confronted
and threatened by the anti-union employee outside of work. Union supporters
say they have reported the threats and intimidation to Starbucks
management, but their complaints have basically fallen on deaf ears.
Goodson says Starbucks managers told the union supporters that they had
“brought on” the confrontations.

“We just want an equitable deal we can all live with, and some standards
that we all have to follow,” said Goodson earlier this week, standing on
the sidewalk in front of Starbuck’s corporate headquarters in South
Seattle. Goodson was part of a group of about 25 union members and
supporters, who were holding picket signs and handing out literature to
passersby calling on the company to negotiate a fair contract.

  Dry-Roasted, Bitter Blend

It was shortly after 10 pm on September 5, and James Gower had just begun
his graveyard shift at the roasting facility in Kent. It was his first
shift back at work after the Labor Day weekend, and after his August
vacation with his wife and two children.

His Starbucks manager had just told him that he was being given a “first
notification write-up” for a “no-show, no-call” absence because he had been
scheduled to work on August 31 and did not show up.

Gower told the supervisor that he had been gone that day because it was the
last day of his vacation. He explained how he had had requested the time
off, submitted the proper paperwork, and had the time off approved before
leaving on vacation. The manager told him that the company had lost his
paperwork, and that he was going to be suspended for a day without pay.

He told his supervisor that he had copies of the documentation he had
submitted requesting vacation time, and that he wanted a union
representative present if they were going to be discussing any disciplinary
action. The manager told him if that were the case, he needed to call the
union rep (it was now about 10:30pm) and have someone come down right then.
Gower said it was too late for that night, but that a union rep could come
in first thing in the morning. The manager told him that the suspension stood.

“I was punished for standing up for myself,” says Gower.

A union rep did later meet with Starbucks, and Gower eventually got the
back pay he had been docked. But he says this was just one of several times
in which he has been singled out for harassment or discipline because he is
a union supporter. He points out that he had worked on the day shift for
three years, and was abruptly switched to the graveyard shift because of
his union activities.

“We are tired of them changing the rules every time we turn around,” adds
Gower, “depending on the person or the situation.”

The Operating Engineers union has filed local, state and federal charges of
intimidation, coercion, discrimination, health and safety violations and
physical assault related to various incidents at the Starbucks roasting
plant in Kent.

  Extra Foam, Hold the Contract

Operating Engineers organizer Rene Jankiewicz says the union was holding
the rally and picket in front of company headquarters not only to educate
the public about the contract campaign, but to also remember those who lost
their lives in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, and to support all those
who lost co-workers and families. She drew links between the call to
protect and cherish the freedoms we enjoy in the United States, and the
organizing drive. “The right to organize a union,” says Jankiewicz, “is one
of the fundamental rights we are trying to protect.”

In its contract proposals, the union’s requests include a standardized wage
scale, improved medical benefits, promotion based upon experience and
demonstrable skill, and retirement benefits. The company has proposed
granting a retirement benefit, but it would be in exchange for a wage
freeze, no improvement in health benefit costs, and the revocation of some
company stock benefits already in place.

In fact, according to union supporters, Starbucks has awarded at least one
of the benefits the union is requesting ­ an increase in the company share
of workers’ medical premiums from 75 percent to 90 percent ­ to all
270-plus non-union employees working in distribution and packing jobs, but
not to the workers in the roasting facility. That is, the company raised
the health benefits of all its Kent facility workers, except those in the
unit that had voted for the union.

Starbucks spokesperson Linkoff would not address any specific questions
about the union organizing campaign or contract negotiations. Instead, she
provided the following company statement, titled “Media Statement on Kent
Roasting Plant Union Activities,” which was issued on Sept. 8, 2001:

“Starbucks fully respects workers’ rights and can assure you that we are
doing everything possible to negotiate a fair contract for the mechanics
and technicians at our Kent Roasting Plant.”

Gower says such platitudes ring hollow based upon the company’s behavior
thus far during negotiations. “They say they are trying to give us a
contract, and then in their next proposal they go back and change things we
already agreed upon.”

Peter Miller, co-host
The Illinois Labor Hour, Saturdays 11 a.m. - noon
WEFT 90.1 FM
113 N. Market St.
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 359-9338 (WEFT) / (217) 367-1336 (h) / (217) 337-5174 (w)
peterm at shout.net