[Imc-newsroom] Life in the Bike Lane Meeting!

Jay Morris jrmorris at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 16:21:45 CST 2002

[Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested]

Folks,

There will be a meeting next Tuesday  at 8:00 pm to discuss the future of
Life in the Bike Lane.  (If you don't know what Life in the Bike Lane is,
read on!).

At this meeting we will:

- determine how much support we have and whether the show should continue
running on a weekly basis, biweekly basis, or not continue at all (booo!)
- discuss future bike lane topics
- set up a regular (bi-weekly?) meeting time
- set up a regular time for audio production training

One purpose of this meeting will be to determine whether there is enough
support to continue producing the show.

SO ...

- if you want the show to continue, if you have ideas for future shows, if
you want to get some audio production training, PLEASE come to the meeting
and get involved!
- if you don't know anything about the show, but you want to learn about it,
come to the meeting and we'll tell you everything we know!
- if you don't like the show, come to the meeting and tell us why you don't
like it!
- if you are completely ambivalent and don't care about anything, come to
the meeting and buy an IMC t-shirt!

One very critical feature of Life in the Bike Lane is that it is a community
show.  While we are trying to make it as professional sounding as possible,
the main goal of this project is to give a voice to the concerns of people
in this community.

Life in the Bike Lane is YOUR show!
YOU can decide the topic!
YOU can do the research!
YOU can do the interviews!
YOU can produce the show!
YOU can use this as a project to learn how to produce a radio show!

If you are interested in doing any one of those things, please come to the
meeting!

************************
        Tuesday, April 9
        8:00 pm
        At the Urbana-Champaign IMC
        218 West Main Street in Urbana
        (next to The Office, across from the giant Busey Bank)
************************

Hope to see you there!
Jay

p.s., here is a description of the show that Pauline wrote up a while ago.
Some of the 'coming up' shows have been covered, but we'll discuss more
potential topics on Tuesday, and I hope people will bring their ideas!

Life in the Bike Lane is a 4-6 minute radio segment produced at the
Urbana-Champaign, Illinois Independent Media Center. It profiles community
organizations, individuals, and ideas that advocate sustainability.

Sustainability in this show describes an environment that meets needs on a
local level. The term sustainability encompasses the ecological environment
as well as the social or political environment in which we live. The program
  gives voice to the understanding that the producer has. Advocating
sustainability could be promoting housing rights, protesting Wal-Marts,
riding a bike, or strengthening a free art movement.

 Life in the Bike Lane has a collective of independent radio journalists
producing it. Some have only learned how to produce when they started with
Life in the Bike Lane. Some have a strength in Environmental issues, others
are community organizers, or well versed about globalization and local
issues.

 Life in the Bike Lane is an alternative to other environmental programs. It
makes connections between local and global issues, broadening the
perspective of the audience while making underrepresented issues accessible.

By incorporating trends relevant to the U-C area, Life in the Bike Lane
promotes community interaction and takes a critical look at accepted social
practices that are unsustainable. It points at paradigms that make the news
possible, and sheds light on issues through a holistic point of view. It
gives proposals and information for being socially engaged by avoiding the
mere reporting on uninspiring issues. Life in the Bike Lane has been aired
on WEFT Champaign 90.1 FM, every week since May 1st, 2001.
Since then we have produced radio shows on the following:

Shade grown coffee
Air Quality in IL
Permaculture Commentary on Revolutionizing your back yard
Tree sitters in Bloomington IN
Savoy Wal-Mart Protests
Public Interviews about Wal-Mart
Sprawl Commentary/ Interview with Urbana CityCouncil Woman
Public Interest Fund of IL
Biotechnology Commentary
Nuclear Energy IN IL
Urbana Sweet Corn Festival
Corn Detassling
Self Help Center
Bellflower MegaDairy Development
Buy Nothing Day/ Consumerism Commentary
Global Environmentalism: Prof Crummey Lecture
Community Land Trust in St, Louis
Prairie Rivers Network-Marc Miller
Community Gardens in C-U
Bellflower Dairy Farm Development)

Coming up:
Wetlands protection and Environmental  Law
Interview with Eric Freyfogle
Illinois Fair Trade Campaign.
Bike Lanes on Green Street
Peotone Airport Development Issue
Bush's Energy Plan
Food and Transportation
Environmental Campaigns at the U of I
Stopping Menards from selling old growth
Campus Area Transportation Study
High Speed Rail in Illinois
State of Water/Water Quality in Champaign County
Profile on Heartland Pathways?
Progressive Resource Center
Campaign for Sensible Growth
Top ten bike routes in C-U