[Imc-newsroom] a little update from DC

Molly Stentz molly at onthejob.net
Sat Apr 20 20:15:22 CDT 2002

Hello all,

I arrived in DC this afternoon. There were 2 big marches downtown that met
up at the Mall - one pro-Palestinian and one anti-war. The marches had
already dissolved at the mall by the time I arrived. From all accounts so
far everything was peaceful (described by some as 'boring'). The estimates
I've heard were 10-20 thousand but I would not be surprised if it were
more. I haven't heard about arrests for today, around 32 people were
arrested yesterday at a Critical Mass bike ride. All but 2 have been
released so far.

In other actions, about 2 hours ago 15 Food Not Bombs people were arrested
in a parking garage near 13th and K streets.  They were distributing free
food out of their cars. It is not known how police discovered them but
when we arrived there were 15 people detained on a sidewalk surrounded by
lines of cops. More than 20 police cars, vans, and unmarked vehicles
blocked off the street. They were detained for 'trespassing' for being in
the parking garage. Apparently they were told they would be released if
they gave their names and IDs while the police attempted to contact the
property manager to see if they wanted to press charges. It was not clear
if anyone was reached but soon after they were all lined up, handcuffed,
photographed with a polaroid camera and taken away in vans. It was
presumed by the legal team that they will either be released with a
citation tonight or held and released in the morning.

Simultaneously, a demonstration took place against Taco Bell, I assume
organized by the Coalition of Immokalee Workers. More than 100 people
gathered in front of a Taco Bell near 14th? and U Streets chanting,
drumming and waving signs and puppets in support of farmworkers. A person
dressed up as the Taco Bell dog held up a huge cutout of a penny,
symbolizing what a difference 1 cent would make for the wages of the
farmworkers who pick the tomatoes for Taco Bell.

The big actions are planned for Monday. I'll send updates as I can. I
haven't seen Danielle or Sehvilla yet.

If someone could update the front panel of our features page w/ something
about DC that would be great. Check www.indymedia for updates, apparently
the dc site is still broken.

Thanks,

Molly