[Imc-newsroom] long distance charges:

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Mon Dec 2 12:08:19 CST 2002

> IMHO, not being able to do long distance phone interviews from the IMC
> without jumping through hoops, and then having the hoops be very
> expensive, is a realy hamper to doing radio news there.

perhaps, but the reason why we decided not to have long distance is
because there's no way to monitor who's using it, and thus get reimbursed.
free long distance for the public is unfortunately not a service we can
afford financially to provide.  it would be easy for someone to walk in
off the street and make a phone call (as they already do), and to make a
long distance phone call (international, perhaps), and then walk away and
never reimburse the imc for it.  as you can see just from this one phone
call, it could put the imc under.

maybe the imc could get a calling card or somethin for use for the
newsgroup or imc emergency only?

brian