[Imc-newsroom] PLEASE READ: Equipment and Security

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 6 22:32:16 CST 2002

At tonight's Tech meeting we primarily talked about equipment security
issues.  The main issue is that Minidisc Kit #3, which is the only one with
adaptors equipped for int'l use, has been missing for about a week and
nobody is on record as checking it out.  Brian has already mailed to the
general IMC list about this.

We figure the kit could be missing for several reasons:
1. Whoever checked it out forgot to write her/his name down properly and
isn't in town to see the e-mails, or isn't on the IMC e-mail list.
2. Whoever checked it out improperly still needs it but is embarrassed to
say s/he has it and would rather quietly return it.
3. It has been liberated/stolen.

Whatever has happened, the fact remains that we now have one less minidisc
kit.  This particular minidisc was on permanent loan from Brian, so he,
too, is out one minidisc recorder.  The Tech group will not be replacing
this kit, which has a total equipment value of $200 - $250. We're lucky
that losing one minidisc kit does not stop the IMC's work, but that does
not mean that we can afford to be losing equipment.

In general it seems that security around the IMC has been pretty lax, as
has adherence to the extremely simple check-out policy.  So, it seems that
a reminder of current IMC rules is in order:

-Equipment may be checked out by IMC MEMBERS ONLY.  A list of members is in
the "MEMBERS" binders kept with all the other binders on the bottom shelf
of the bookcase that also houses the phone in the front room.  It doesn't
matter how upstanding a citizen, how well known or how many people vouch
for  somebody -- if they want to check something out they must be
member.  Membership is available for a sliding scale beginning at $50
annually.  If you can't afford $50, then please go to a Finance meeting
(1st & 3rd Wed @ 6:30pm) to negotiate a membership fee.

-EVERYONE who checks out equipment must fill out the appropriate clipboard
with name, contact information and the date that the equipment will be
returned.  As you'll see in the e-mail that follows, if you don't put a
return date YOU WILL BE FINED.

-STAFF PEOPLE SHOULD OVERSEE ALL EQUIPMENT CHECK-OUT -- this protects both
the borrower and the IMC.  This means, don't check it out alone!

-ONLY IMC MEMBERS MAY USE THE EQUIPMENT IN THE PRODUCTION ROOM.  This
equipment is for producing NEWS and other IMC projects, not web surfing,
downloading audio to your walkman or reading e-mail.  That's what the
public access machines are for.  (And if you're not happy with the state of
the public access machines, well then come to the Tech meetings Wed. @ 6 PM
and help us fix things!).

-THE PRODUCTION ROOM SHOULD BE LOCKED at all times unless someone is
actually in the room working on something.

It appears that having the production room secure is especially problematic
during off-hours when the IMC isn't being "staffed" but IMC volunteers are
in the building working on things.  Often the lights are on, the cash
register is on but nobody is up front and sometimes nobody's in the
production room, and it's unlocked.  This is very likely a prime time for
things to be stolen/liberated.  If you're in the IMC alone after hours you
should be doubly aware of what's going on, and be keeping things locked
that aren't being used.

In addition to the equipment loss there was a theft of money from the cash
register a week or so ago, too.  This is clearly not a trend we want to
continue.

The Steering Group will begin discussions on this issue this Sunday at
Noon. Everyone who cares about this is invited to attend.  Some solutions
the Tech Group is recommending:

-Locking the equipment cabinet, with the key only accessible to the staff
person on duty.
-Changing the combination on the production room door and only giving out
the new combo to currently active IMC volunteers.
-Recalling all keys from volunteers who are not currently staffing.

Thanks for your reading time,

Paul
IMC-Tech Spoke