[Imc-newsroom] We Need U 4 IMC @ Allen Hall

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 19 15:58:51 CST 2002

(sorry for crossposing IMC lists, but THIS IS IMPORTANT!)

The IMC will be in residence at Allen Hall at the U of I next week, Mon -
Thursday.  Michael Feltes and I are coordinating this event.   During this
week we will be holding talks and workshops demonstrating to students and
other interested persons the importance and process of independent media.
We took this on last minute to fill in for a guest in residence who
cancelled, so we are working hard to get it together quickly.

We need all IMCistas to lend a hand for this to be successful.  The IMC
will be receiving a $1400 honorarium for our participation, in addition to
having an amazing outreach opportunity.

How YOU can help -- It's simple:
-Pick a talk/workshop that you want to participate in and attend.  Then
stick around to chat with students.
-Come to one of the scheduled informal Dinners, eat some (free) food and
get to know future IMCistas.
-Come to the informal work and discussion time scheduled for 10 PM each day.

It's fun and rewarding!

PLEASE look over the schedule below and e-mail me what parts you will be
participating in -- that way I can make sure we'll have a good turn out of
IMCistas for everything.

Here's the tentative schedule for the week.  Note that some talks are
unconfirmed.  An updated schedule including persons who committed to
attending will be sent around very very soon.

NOTE: Monday is the big intro to the IMC.  We would like to see as many
IMCistas there as possible.  If you can only do one event, this is the one
to be at!

Monday
5 PM	Informal Dinner -- Topic: the role of alt. and indy media
8 PM Kick-Off Talk: Birth of a Revolution; An Intro to the Indymedia Mov't
(Paul R., Sascha, James, Pauline, Michael F.)
10 PM Informal Discussion with IMCistas

Tuesday
7 PM - Talk: Counteracting the Coercive Power of Corporate Media (unconfirmed)
9 PM - Workshop: Intro to Radio News (IMC Newsgroup, incl. Pauline, Michael
F., Orion)
10 PM - Informal radio work time, other discussion (Pauline, Mark, Orion,
Michael F.)

Wednesday
5 PM - Informal Dinner -- Topic: Advantages and problems of citizen
journalism (Avram)
7 PM - Talk: Making and Distributing Grassroots Indy Media
9 PM - Workshop: The Technology Behind Indymedia; Or, Using the Master's
Tools (IMC Tech; incl. Paul R., Brian)
10 PM - Informal Radio Work Time, other discussion

Thursday
5 PM - Informal Dinner -- Topic: How to find resources outside the
mainstream (Shana, James)
7 PM - Talk: Information Rules; Finding and Using Information for
Empowerment  (IMC Librarians; incl. James)
9 PM - Workshop: How-Tos of Investigative Journalism (unconfirmed)
10 PM - Informal radio work time, other discussion