[Imc-newsroom] Re: WORT visit

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 28 21:42:50 CST 2002

This is perplexing.  I know Mark raised this with at least some folks
at WEFT.  It is a shame he is out of town.  Regarding co-sponsorship,
there is no financial commitment involved.  The IMC will deal with
all the expenses. The hope was that we could all have a fruitful
discussion on how to do more and better news and public affairs.  As
far as I know there are no specific proposals on how to accomplish
better collaboration.  That would have to be discussed at the
workshop or later on.

Some of us have been discussing these ideas publicly for several
months beginning at the first AWARE teach-in with Bob McChesney, and
then at AWARE events and meetings.   Some WEFT people come to these
meetings.  I have personally discussed this with Carl Estabrook, Paul
Mueth, Peter Miller, Danielle, and Mark Enslin.  I don't know where
the communications breakdown happened.

Anyway, what we need to do now is see if people from WEFT want to
participate and/or co-sponsor.  Mick needs a special invitation.

At 6:32 PM -0500 1/28/02, Pauline Bartolone wrote:
>Hey folks.
>
>I talked to Mick Wolf about the WORT visit on the 9th, and there is
>confusion/miscommunication about what it means for WEFT to be a
>"co-sponsor" of the WORT event. According to him, noone from WEFT
>was notified about sponsorship or other participation.
>
>What kind of participation does the IMC request of WEFT to be
>co-sponsor? What else do we request from them besides reading a PSA
>on the air?
>
>On the flyer for the event that Al Kagan made, it mentions using the
>event to strengthen collaboration between WEFT and the IMC. How
>exactly is this going to happen? Is there going to be a panel of
>reps from each organization? Or is there going to be some sort of
>discussion about collaboration after the WORT workshops?
>
>I told Mick I'd tell him the scoop during the WEFT Courier on Wednesday.
>
>Can anyone enlighten me?
>
>Thanks, Pauline

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328