[Imc-newsroom] Re: Imc-newsroom digest, Vol 1 #268 - 5 msgs

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 07:29:08 CST 2002

Hi all,

I'm not sure this made it onto your listsserv --
The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, where nuclear bombs are
designed and tested, is coming to UIUC on February 14th to recruit and
interview students for bomb-making careers.  I''ve worked on Livermore
issues for about 10 years, having lived in that area before moving here.  I
am hoping to raise as much awareness about this is I can, as it's a perfect
time to educate the community in general, and students specifically, about
the perils of some potential career choices, and the lies that have been
used.

 I have copies of a letter from Isaac Trotts, a brilliant and lively young
scientist who quit his $85,000 a year job at the Lab when he found out he
was lied to about the purpose of his work-- finding out it had been used to
design nuclear weapons despite assurances by the Lab this wouldn't happen.
Hopefully this issue here can lead to a general campaign to educate
students about ethical (and unethical) career choices, and to beware. My
son Erek has tabled at other educational institutions concerning similar
issues.

I'm hoping for as much coverage of this as we can get -- radio, print,
whatever-- as it is timely.  I already wrote one article, posted to your
website, several months ago, about the general nuke weapons situation and
would be happy to work with whoever wants to on an update relating to job
recruitment at the lab, and the present situation over there.  Although my
schedule has been full, this opportunity to educate everyone about nuke
weapons and their effect  here is unique as the designers will be RIGHT
HERE.

There will be the surprise element too, as I'm sure they won't expect
anyone to be out here confronting them, and talking to students.

The recruitment will be at the Illini Union.  I will follow up and attempt
to find the times of the interviews, and also learn if they have any other
meetings or appearances scheduled for while they are here-- I'm planning to
try to talk my way into as many of them as I can, and if only UIUC
students/faculty can go, then I plan to make sure I find some suitable
people to attend whatever they decide to appear at.

Thanks for the help.  I'm looking forward to collaborating on all fo this.

Barbara Dyskant