[Imc-newsroom] MY ACCOUNT F.Y.I.

Jyoti Asha Bhatt jyoti.bhatt at oberlin.edu
Sat Jul 6 16:49:32 CDT 2002

Hi U-C IMC,

I'm the girl/Oberlin College student/student activist involved in a
recent action in Columbus, OH (Senator DeWine's office) who wrote in
earlier today about the Ohio Ten.  We were the ones who asked for a
face-to-face meeting anytime, any place with Senator DeWine over his
positions on Plan Colombia and the SOA.  For staying after office hours
(which weren't posted anywhere), we were thrown in jail.

Here (below)'s the account of what happened.

Our trial begins this Tuesday, July 9th.  The charges slapped on us
were "Criminal Trespass" (Misdemeanor 4th Degree) and "Resisting
Arrest" (M2).  We're hoping they'll be dropped, b/c the real specious
and esp. problematic deal is that our OWGLA (Ohio Working Group on
Latin America) has been denied a face-to-face with DeWine for over two
years.

PLEASE INCLUDE THIS ON IMC (+ the Press Advisory I sent previously).
THANKS SO MUCH!

I apologize that this one is unformatted as I am having problems
attaching docs. on my computer.

Respectfully,
Jyo
^*^
Influenced by the long-standing efforts of OWGLA to speak with DeWine
about
US foreign policy in Colombia, six Oberlin students and four Ohioans
decided on Tuesday April 30th, 2002 that enough was enough.  As
responsible, concerned constituents, we wanted a meeting with our
senator.
Seven of our ten are eyewitnesses to the destructive, disastrous
effects of
Plan Colombia on the peoples and environment of Colombia.  Where does
the
Senator DeWine come in?  He was one of the main orchestrators of this
initiative during the Clinton Administration, and now furthers US
military
"aid" to Colombia to the tune of millions in tax-payer dollars.

Upon our arrival at Senator DeWine's Columbus office at around 4:15PM,
we
found on the sidewalk in front of his office a rally on human rights and
environmental issues surrounding Plan Colombia and the School of the
Americas.  Represented here was Dalia Mina Valencia, (a Colombian woman
who
is on a speaking tour of the US with Witness for Peace to address
Colombian
issues), Ryan Calkins and Kathy Baldoni (Witness for Peace staff and
organizers), Margaret Knapke (OWGLA--Ohio Working Group on Latin America
coordinator), Chester Chambers (member of our group), Father Roy (head
of
SOA--School of the Americas Watch, speaker at the April 30 rally), and
thirty some odd other concerned citizens.  After ten or so minutes, I
split
off in a group of three, which was later joined by a group of seven, to
make our way to the Senator's office for an appointment with Scott
Corbin,
one of his Columbus aides.  We--Paula and John Ewers of Dayton, Vincent
Ramos of Columbus, Anita Sanchez of Groveport, and Jacqueline Downing,
Sarah Saunders, Anna Hendricks, Kathleen Berrigan, Jyoti Bhatt and John
Durkalski of Oberlin College--proceeded into the building, accompanied
by
Chet Chambers.

We were asked by a secretary to wait in DeWine's lobby, where
incidentally,
we were able to catch some congressional action on C-SPAN; ironically,
the
topic being discussed was the Andean Policy.  After some time, Scott
Corbin
met with our two spokepeople, Jackie Downing and John Ewers.  From what
could see through the glass of the room in which they were meeting, Mr.
Corbin grew increasingly uncomfortable, which was represented by his not
infrequently employing a hankerchief to wipe the sweat from his face.
From
what I was able to hear, he was slightly bombastic and interruptive to
the
concerns put forth by Jackie and Mr. Ewers both on Colombia and on
OWLGA's
dismissed attempts for a meeting with Sen. DeWine.

When the two of our group stepped into the lobby where the rest of us
were
waiting, they told us that Mr. Corbin had agreed to go into another room
and attempt to phone the senator for the purpose of giving him the
message
that we desired a face-to-face meeting any time, any place.  Whether or
not
Mr. Corbin actually kept to his agreement is for all intents and
purposes
unknown.  When he emerged from his separate room, he told us it would be
quite impossible to meet with Senator DeWine; he also gave me personally
the strong impression and later in so many words that it was too bad we
disagreed with congressional policies, but there was nothing that could
actually be done for us as constituents.

At that point, I felt democracy going astray.  If we cannot express
dissent
and strive for change, we as American citizens are powerless.

Five o'clock rolls around and we still have no assurance of a meeting.
It
is closing time and a few of us remember aloud to each other how a
meeting
with Senator DeWine on Plan Colombia has been speciously denied for
upwards
of two years now.  We observe the two secretaries present becoming
nervous,
and I feel bad for them as we certainly did not intend or wish our
presence
to influence any adverse effect.  Perhaps they realized that what we
wanted
in theory should be granted, but in reality would be denied even after
persistent struggle.

At this point, we were asked by Mr. Corbin to leave, and at different
points we spoke up to communicate once again that our objective had been
obstructed from achieving success; and thus after repeated faxes, phone
calls, letters and visits to DeWine offices for over two years, our
business was incomplete.  At this point, Mr. Corbin called in a security
person, who also told us to leave the premises.  After again politely
but
firmly refusing, they called in the Columbus police who hauled us off
(literally) to the Franklin County Correctional Center (jail), where we
spent two days and barely emerged with due process after noting much
beaurocracy and disorganization.

After arraigments/pre-trial and both individual and group court dates,
we
finally were recognized as a group for participating in a group action
(were consolidated) with the assistance of attorney William Owen.  At
this
point, we can only hope for justice before a jury of our peers on July
9th.
Our plea is not guilty and our objective is to communicate to the
public on
three counts: Senator DeWine is not someone to be supported with votes
or
moneys, Latin American issues have come to a head and demand our
attention
as US citizens, and the meanings of justice are worth reviewing and
actualizing.

That's all.

*******

--Jyoti Asha Bhatt

----- End forwarded message -----

"The world owes us nothing; but we owe each other the world."
--Ani DiFranco

"Sometimes there is so much sadness--in
the larger world, in your world--that
we don't have tears for it all."

"No one is useless in the world who lightens the burdens of another."
--Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

"we're not going to play to the mainstream.....we're going to hijack it"
--Zack de la Rocha

"Religion is the opiate of the masses, the sigh of the oppressed."
--Brother Karl Marx

"Sometimes I just wish people were a darn lot more for real than they
are."

"You cannot have capitalism without racism."  --Malcolm X

"He (or she) who has the youth has the future."  -- V. I. Lenin

"Politics is Life."  -- anonymous