[Imc-newsroom] Charges Dropped in DeWine Petitioner Case

Mary Hershberger mhershbe at capital.edu
Tue Jul 30 23:13:09 CDT 2002

The Ohio Working Group on Latin America

July 30, 2002

Contact: Vince Ramos (614) 235-1883 (ramosfam at core.com); Mary Hershberger
(614) 442-5915

All Charges Dropped for DeWine Petitioner

In a surprise move, all charges against Vince Ramos of Columbus, Ohio, were
dropped today before his dismissal hearing which was scheduled for 10 am
tomorrow, Wednesday, July 31.  The charges were dropped at the request of
Senator Mike DeWine's office.

Ramos, a seminary student at Trinity Lutheran Seminary, and nine other
Ohioans were arrested in DeWine's Columbus office on April 30, 2002, while
trying to schedule a meeting with the Senator at his convenience.

Ramos and the nine others belong to the Ohio Working Group on Latin
America, whose members tried unsuccessfully for two years to speak directly
to Senator DeWine about the detrimental effects of U.S. foreign policy in
Colombia. DeWine (R-OH) has played a prominent role in crafting Plan
Colombia which primarily consists of massive military aid and widespread
toxic aerial fumigation. On July 9, Columbus Judge Anne Taylor dropped all
charges against 8 other defendants.  The tenth defendant, Cheryl Ann
Raver-Sanchez, is currently in Colombia.

Following a public outcry regarding Senator DeWine's refusal to meet with
his constituents, his staff agreed to a meeting between the Senator and
members of the Ohio Working Group on Latin America.  That meeting is
scheduled for August 13.  After charges against him were dropped today,
Ramos said, "Being arrested for trying to meet with my Senator about U.S.
foreign policy was not an easy experience, but I would do it again for my
brothers and sisters in Latin America."

The Ohio Working Group on Latin America (OWGLA) is a statewide coalition of
peace and solidarity organizations and individuals working to address
escalating U.S. intervention in Latin America.

For more information about Colombia:
http://ciponline.org/colombia or http://www.usfumigation.org