[Imc-newsroom] Ottawa '7 Year Squat' Communique #1 (fwd)

Mark Enslin enslin at prairienet.org
Sun Jun 30 10:09:49 CDT 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:09:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ontario Coalition Against Poverty <ocap at tao.ca>
To: ocap at lists.tao.ca
Subject: Ottawa '7 Year Squat' Communique #1=20

Spread this far and wide!!!

7 Year Squat
Communique #1

In collaboration with the anti-G8 =91Take the Capital=92 demonstrations, ho=
using
activists and homeless youth have occupied an abandoned home on Gilmour Str=
eet
in Ottawa.

With the tremendous support of demonstrators who converged in Ottawa on Jun=
26th, we have been successful in maintaining and securing the squat.
Renovations and construction is underway!

The housing crisis in Ottawa is no secret: 15,000 families on 7 year waitin=
lists, unreasonable rents, and tenant =93protection=94 acts that do not ser=
ve the
interests of renters, but rather, solely those of landlords.

Community development occurs when support and links are created between gro=
ups
seeking sustainable solutions to local problems.  This is why we are asking=
 for
your support and endorsement of the seven year squat.

We urge you, in solidarity, to contact the city councillors and tell them t=
hat
you endorse the =917 year squat=92 and want them to cooperate in the proces=
s of
keeping 246 Gilmour a positive community squat.  Their contacts are below.

We fear that with the demonstration over and the media gone home, the Ottaw=
police will be vigilant in trying to shut us down.  If this police attempt =
shut us down does happen, we ask that you contact the Ottawa Police and inf=
orm
them that their actions and attitudes towards the squatters are unacceptabl=
e.

The seven year squat does not promote violence and is attempting to build
community and creative dialogue.  It is our hope that this is the first of =
many
communiqu=E9s between our organizations.  Any contributions, suggestions, o=
support is appreciated.  Please visit, or call us at 613-262-6403.  Calls o=
support from out of town are also greatly appreciated!

In solidarity,

The 7 Year Squat

------------

City Councillor contact numbers:

- Elizabeth Arnold, Somerset Ward
Ph: (613) 580-2484 Elizabeth.Arnold at ottawa.ca (councillor for area of squat=
)
- Clive Doucet, Capital Ward
Ph: (613) 580-2487  Clive.Doucet at ottawa.ca
- Alex Munter, Kanata
Ph: (613) 580-2474 Alex.Munter at ottawa.ca

For contact info of all Ottawa City Councillors, see
http://www.city.ottawa.on.ca/city_council/wards_councillors_en.html

Main City email contact: info at ottawa.ca
City Phone number (24 hours): 580-2400 or toll-free at 1-866-261-9799.

Mayor=92s Contact: Bob.Chiarelli at ottawa.ca  Phone: (613) 580-2496   Fax: (6=
13)
580-2509

Police Contacts: