[Imc-newsroom] first bulleton from quito caravans

alca-nunca alcanunca at riseup.net
Sat Oct 26 10:46:50 CDT 2002

MARCH OF THE PEOPLE AGAINST THE FTAA

Loja, October 24, 2002
First Bulletin

To the National and International Press
To our Brothers and Sisters

On the 27th of October, thousands of representatives from all parts of the
Americas will gather in the city of Quito to create a document that
encapsulates the positions of the indigenous, campesino and social movments of
the Continent.  Representatives from the countries of Canada, Bolivia, Peru,
Argentina, Brizil, Colombia, Mexico, the United States, Guatemala, Panama and
Chile among others will all gather together under the phrase ¨Another
Integration is Possible¨.

To strengthen this continental gathering, starting on the 23rd of October,
Indigenous and Campesino peoples started out on a March from the four cardinal
directions of Ecuador, (north, south, the eastern coast and the western
Amazon).  We will advance together towards Quito to express our thoughts just
as our ancestors did, and the Chasquis did when we walked toward the center of
the world to express our thoughts.  In Minga we will advance to Quito!

In the early hours of the morning on the 24th of October, many leaders of the
CONAIE and the CONFEUNASSC began to arrive in the city of Loja: the flags,
posters, signs give life and strengthen the beginning of the Southern walk for
Life and Against the FTAA.

Cesar Cabrera, President of CONFEUNASSC-CNC, stated that like on the 21 of
January, today, the Indigenous and Campesino peoples have put down our
agricultural tools to head to Quito in a great march, which will allow us to
be present before the National Government and the 34 Ministers negotiating the
FTAA.

The rules of the game and competition which the large transnationals of Big
Capital would impose, betray the indigenous peoples.  We are a small country
with no subsidies nor access to credit to make our lands produce,” the
campesino leader affirmed. “That is why we mobilize ourselves to say No to the
FTAA and Yes to Life.

Humberto Cholango, leader of the CONAIE, refers to the unity among the largest
rural organizations of the country as they work together, which strengthens
the process of struggle and the construction of another possible world.

Finally the leaders affirm their tireless struggle in defense of solidarity
and reciprocity and they call on the population in general to join the march
as the FTAA will affect all of us.
ACTIVITIES:  October 24, 2002
2:00 P.M.         Press Conference in Loja (central park)
4:00 P.M.        Concentration in Saraguro (in front of the Alcadia of Saraguro)
6:00 P.M.        Assembly of the Peoples of Saraguro
8:00 P.M.        Rest
Fraternally:  CONFEUNASSC-CNC, INDYMEDIA