[Imc-newsroom] Radio News Meeting 10/28

Clint Popetz cpopetz at cpopetz.com
Sun Oct 27 15:58:24 CST 2002

IMC Radio News Meeting, 10/28

Attending: Clint and Dan

Dan has produced Jello audio from Bloomington.  Mark has audio from
the Palestinian Truth Tour, which Clint will produce.  Kevin called
and will coordinate headlines.  Clint will shift, and Kevin will read
headlines with him.

I have no audio from DC.  I don't know when the DC group will return,
but I will ask at the AWARE meeting tonight, in the hopes of getting
some audio from them for a headline or mini-feature.  Ditto for audio
from North Prospect.

We didn't discuss next week's show; it will be the last before the
election.  We had talked previously about making that show focus on
local candidates and issues, e.g. the nursing home issue.  The "Meet
the Candidates" forum in 213 Gregory Hall at 7pm on Tuesday, and the
possible death penalty protest that will occur outside, would be a
good thing to cover.  Can anyone get audio from this; I will be on my
co-op shift.   Also, there is a candidates forum on Monday at 11am in
the campus Y which will have Carle debating Hartke.  That should be
good for roadkill, and I can cover that.  But we need more sources.
Can anyone do a feature on the nursing home issue?  Is anyone
interested in doing a survey of the local candidates focusing on an
issue that is important to the reporter, i.e. "News that states your
views" :)

My personal story radar includes:

1) the housing authority story (forwarded by Kim).  I will be talking
to Kim about this when she returns.

2) A BOAST story with Bobbi Trist, and/or a report on the fallout of
the new champaign superintendent.

3) The IDF dinner with Marina Cordoba.  I will get audio from this; it
could be used for the 11/11 show.

4) Kevin's police brutality story

5) The Quito Caravans (happening currently.)  This could be drawn
mainly from IMC audio posted to the various sites abroad.

6) A "Debunking the Fields" show.  In the past week I have been
coincidently having conversations with many different groups who were
completely unaware that Strawberry Fields (a) has a horrible history
w.r.t. treatment of employees, (b) refuses to buy locally grown
produce, and (c) doesn't use _any_ organic produce in its deli.  I
would like to whack that image by interviewing past and present
workers, concentrating on the labor and organic produce issues.
Thoughts?

			-Clint