[Imc-newsroom] Re: [Imc-tech] various things

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 29 09:37:32 CST 2002

Actually, Clint, I agree with you, from the standpoint of the IMC's
equipment not being up to the task.  But I don't actually think going
cassette, DAT or HD recorder necessarily solves the problem in the long
term.

Believe it or not, when the IMC was first starting up, I frequently
encouraged people to get started with cassette recorders rather than
minidisc, specifically because they were easier to use and super cheap.

But do not mistake -- cassette and recorders are not less prone to
breakage. They just break in different ways.  And if not
catastrophically broken, the cassettes themselves can often be repaired
for one last play.

DAT is actually pretty fragile, too, unless you get the high-end $1000+
recorders.  Read around on Grateful Dead tapers lists to hear about the
horror stories.  Only that happens with $600 recorders (not $150
recorders like with MD).

Our problem is less about minidisc than about wear-and-tear and abuse.
 We're using consumer gear in a "professional" manner.  So, as long was
we submit inexpensive consumer gear to this kind of wear and tear at
multiple hands, we are going to have problems.

Instead, what I'd suggest is that we save up for pro gear.  Sony makes a
swank pro minidisc recorder for about $400 that has built in mics and is
much sturdier than the consumer stuff we use.  WEFT has had an older one
for years that has sustained a shitload of abuse. MD recorders in the
$1000 range have strong XLR mic connections (as do DAT ones in that range).

My guess is that if we were to have HD recorders we'd see the same
incidence of failure, if not more catastrophic.  The weak points would
again be things like the 1/8" input jacks--which suck, by the way--and
the hard disk itself.

Our set of gear has gotten us through almost two years of reporting --
that's pretty good considering that most of it wasn't new and how many
different people have used it.  Perhaps we need to be thinking very
seriously of replacing much of it with better stuff.

--Paul