[Imc-newsroom] Matt Hale

IVAN BRANDT kativan1 at msn.com
Tue Sep 3 20:19:40 CDT 2002

Hello, my name is Kathy Brandt from East Peoria, IL and I have stumbled on to a very newsworthy story regarding domestic terrorism, which is on the increase right under our noses. Let me back track a bit.
In June of this year while searching for a local attorney online I came across a name that is all to familiar, Matt Hale. He is the leader of the World Church of the Creator, a racist organization based here in East Peoria. You might recall that one of his “followers” Ben Smith went on a shooting spree a few years back that gained national coverage. Matt Hale professed he did it because he was angered that he (Hale) was denied a license to practice law in Illinois. Knowing about this is what really peaked my attention. How could he be listing himself as an attorney if he is not? I knew that he was also trying to get one in Montana but did not know if he was successful. I really doubted it though, he would have shouted from the rooftop if he had. I did some looking into if he had received one anywhere. Low and behold, he hasn’t. I then looked into if that was legal or not. I contacted the ARDC here in Illinois on June 20, 2002 by e-mail asking just that. The next day I received a reply from them stating that in Illinois, a person who falsely represents him/herself to be an attorney has committed a criminal offense. They also added that it was the jurisdiction of the county States Attorney’s office. I contacted Stewart J. Umholtz, the Tazewell county States Attorney on July 2, 2002 via e-mail telling him what I had found out and giving him the e-mail from the ARDC and a few of the websites that he is listed on. The states Attorney replied and said he referred it to his investigator Dave Franks. After not hearing from their office about this I e-mailed Dave Franks asking what was being done if anything. He replied that they had forwarded the information I provided to the US Attorneys office for an opinion on how to proceed. I asked him whom he had referred it to in case I had anymore information to provide. He did not give it to me, he just said that I should just give him the information and he would give it to them. Another week passed and no news or someone calling me to discuss it. I then contacted the Illinois States Attorney’s office about this. They replied that it did not fall under their jurisdiction and once again I was referred to the local States Attorney’s office. As of now, I still have not heard from anyone. Someone has dropped the ball here, they are allowing Matt Hale to continue breaking the law. Just wait, it gets worse. Matt Hale has announced that his is running for city council next year, this will be his second attempt. He already has signs up around town, way in advance of when you can gather the necessary signatures to get placed on the ballot.
Since Sept. 11, his group has increased the level of hostility. All you have to do is go to their website to see that. For a group who claims to be non-violent, some of the things I have seen on their website are very disturbing especially on their bulletin boards. There is a link to the pictures and video of Daniel Pearl’s murder. With the past history of some of their members here in the US committing murder among other things, and that Matt Hale making a big deal about how his is going to “win” the election makes you wonder. I think he knows that he will not get elected, I think he is counting on it. While else would you throw your hat into the ring so early? What better way can you think of to really get his followers all worked up for the election, only to have him lose in the hopes that one of them will flip out and do exactly what Ben Smith did, all the while having Matt Hale saying, “well if I would have been elected this might not have happened” and “ I had nothing to do with it”. I don’t know about you, but that is the last thing I want to have happen. It’s bad enough that we live in the same town. I for one don’t want to be constantly looking over my shoulder fearing that one of his warped church members could reek havoc in our town. If the FBI pre Sept 11 warned that Matt Hale and his “church” are domestic terrorist that need to be carefully watched, don’t you think that they should be all over this?
In the last five days there has been two news articles written about this. One of those is at www.pjstar.com, it appeared on Aug. 31st 2002. The second one was by Rick Ross and can be seen at www.cultnews.com. It appeared on Aug 30, 02 with updates on the 31st. There are some major differences in the two stories. Some of the comments the State’s Attorney made were completely false. They States Attorney denied that he had any knowledge regarding the ARDC. I know for a fact that he knew because that was the first e-mail I had forwarded to him after the initial e-mail.
I also have been contacting sites that he is listed as an attorney to inform them that he in fact not. Seems that it is working. On Aug. 28, 2002 Yahoo has pulled his “church’s” e-mail list. As for the ad on the yellow pages at yahoo, its still there but its also out of their hands because Info USA provides the service. As you might imagine Hale and his “church” were not too happy about that.
I have also discovered that Matt Hale is posting his bid for election on his church’s website and on their weekly online “White Power Hour” radio show. The church pays for both of these. According to the IRS website you can’t do that and keep your tax exempt status and that they would have to pay taxes for the entire year and a penalty.
If you would like I can forward all of the e-mail regarding this situation or you can call me at
Home 309-698-9264
Cell 309-678-9040
If you get a machine at the home number I an either online or out, just call the cell.
Would you please do a story about this? I know this not “local” news but Matt Hale and his church are everywhere.
Thank, and I hope to hear from you soon

p.s. I have also contacted one of the sites he is listed on and to be listed in the yellow pages they have to confirm that the add is legit by calling them for verification.

Kathy Brandt