[Imc-newsroom] Media Relations Training/Taste Success/Kotlowitz/Donate

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Fri Dec 3 15:09:03 CST 2004

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES - December 3, 2004
On Chicago's CAN-TV Channel 21. . .

* YOUTH AND THE ELECTORAL PROCESS *
featured Saturday, December 6, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

How did youth involvement in campaigns, voter education and voter turn out
impact this year's election? Throughout Chicago and in Wisconsin, students
registered voters and served as election judges. How was all this
accomplished?  Ram Vilivalam, a Chicago high school student; Claire Finn, a
teacher/organizer from Lincoln Park High School, and Brian Brady, Executive
Director of the Mikva Challenge offer their answers to host Thom Clark.
This show first ran in November.

The gold-standard in media training for non-profit staff members  . . .

* PROFESSIONAL MEDIA RELATIONS *
Friday, February 4 - March 4, 2005
Register at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=1

This five-week workshop trains participants to plan a media campaign around
one of their own stories while learning basic public relations skills. All
learn how to:
€ Develop and tell your newsworthy stories
€ Craft a media strategy
€ Pitch your stories to reporters
€ Plan media events
€ Handle a broadcast interview

Veteran media relations pro Laurie Glenn leads the team of trainers and
prominent Chicago journalists who help participants understand how to
connect with the media effectively to get their stories out there.

* ALEX KOTLOWITZ AT OAK PARK PUBLIC LIBRARY *
December 9, 2004, 7 p.m.
834 Lake Street, Oak Park, IL

Terkel award winner Alex Kotlowitz will discuss his latest book, "Never a
City So Real", which explores the city from the ground up through the eyes
of some of its resident outsiders. If you have questions, call the library
at 708-383-8200.

If he miss him there, you can see him on January 19 at DePaul's Student
Center at 2250 N. Sheffield Ave. Rm 314, Chicago.  If you have questions,
call DePaul's Humanity Center at 773-325-4580.

At www.newstips.org . . .

* GREATER CHICAGO FOOD DEPOSITORY'S MEDIA SUCCESS *
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=421.

Donna L. Larkin, the Greater Chicago Food Depository communications
director, practiced valuable lessons this summer during "food rescue"
efforts with the "Taste of Chicago" leftovers.

To report your own media success, send a message to the Workshop at
cmw at newstips.org with "my media success story" in the subject line.

* GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT 2005 *
http://www.newstips.org/cart/
Per Chicago Sun-Times Rob Feder is the Workshop's media guide is "a gold
mine...an indespensable resource for anyone dealing with the media."  The
print edition provides 250+ pages and 3500+ listings of journalists. The CD
is searchable, sortable and data can be exported for you to make your own
lists and labels. Both the book and CD offer fresh feature articles and
advice about best practices in media relations and communication.

* MAKE A DONATION *
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Donate&main_id=53

There are lots of ways to give to the Workshop be it cash, an in-kind
contribution or time.
Q: Why might you want to give to the Workshop?
A: Promoting news that matters matters. What we do makes a difference, and
because we know how to pinch our pennies and use our resources wisely, your
contribution will go far.
To contribute funds, the web page is handy.  If you'd like to discuss your
cash donation or would like to make an in-kind contribution or volunteer,
contact Jennifer Layne at 312-344-6400 or jennifer at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of educators,
journalists and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing
vital work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We
provide workshops, an annual conference, awards and recognition for
journalists, a journalists' tipsheet, briefing papers, sources, and a media
guide.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities.  To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.