No subject

Sun Feb 8 03:32:39 CST 2004

vacation and the slot is vacant
Proposal:
The UCIMC, a local community news service, will provide timely coverage of
news relevant to the U-C community, packaged in 1-hour weekly blocks, called
"News Hours". While the UCIMC will create, draft, record, engineer, produce,
edit, and air all News Hours, and will be solely responsible for the
content, it will continue to work with and solicit input and content from
other community organizations.
Narrative:
The UCIMC is an independent non-profit organization which provides low-to-no
cost news and information services. It seeks to empower residents of East
Central Illinois with tools needed to produce citizen-driven media and
multimedia.
The UCIMC currently operates a storefront, office, and production studio at
218 W. Main in Downtown Urbana. It provides coverage of local, regional,
national, and international events, with emphasis on those events relevant
to the immediate communities of Urbana-Champaign (and WEFT's listening
audience). The UCIMC operates a website at http://urbana.indymedia.org which
reaches an international audience and receives an average of over 7500
monthly, in addition to producing print content for local media outlets
Black Thought, the Octopus, Illinois Issues, as well as audio content for
WEFT 90.1 FM and WILL AM 580.
The UCIMC has already piloted the News Hours on WEFT on previous Friday
Forum slots in January of this year. They were met with much attention and
interest, receiving several call-ins during each of the shows and many
follow-up emails and comments, including praise, thank-yous, suggestions,
ideas, and invaluable constructive criticisms. We have since had the
opportunity to reflect upon past work and contributions, and await
opportunities to continue to enhance and expand upon our work and utilize
new ideas.
We believe that there is a wide and diverse audience hungry for local
affairs programming in the U-C area, as evidenced by the overwhelming
support the UCIMC has received since opening its doors in January.
This venture provides WEFT the opportunity to provide its listenership
access to an alternative, independent, thought-provoking, locally-produced
content, all at no additional cost or effort to WEFT.
Format:
The News Hours will follow the following format:
5 min: intro
15 min: news headlines
35 min: feature story (examples: interviews with local elected officials,
recorded lectures by interesting individuals, highlights on notable
community groups, etc)
5 min: outtro
In order for the News Hours to be highly effective, fresh, and news-worthy,
they will remain highly flexible as to the news content to fill each of the
weekly slots. News organizations cannot pre-produce very far into the
future, as stories may go "stale" before their airtime rolls around. This
format provides the optimum flexibility for listeners to have fresh, current
access to breaking stories.
Contact:
384-8820 (UCIMC), newsroom at urbana.indymedia.org

###