No subject

Sun Feb 8 03:32:39 CST 2004

accepting public comments on the proposal to cut overtime
pay, reduce overtime protections and cut the take-home
pay of millions of America's workers. You can easily submit
your letter of opposition right now by clicking on the
link below.
http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/ot4dol/w6e56541jmjw

Act today before it is too late.

New analysis shows millions could lose overtime pay, possibly
including firefighters, police officers, nurses, retail
clerks, certain medical technicians, military reservists,
tech workers and many, many more. Under the Bush plan,
you still may be forced to work overtime hours--but you
might not be paid for the extra hours. Please, just take
one minute to send your letter of opposition.
http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/ot4dol/w6e56541jmjw

Overtime pay makes up about one-fourth of the average
weekly earnings of workers who receive it. That is an
average pay cut of $161 a week and can add up to thousands
of dollars a year. Can you imagine the government cutting
the pay of a firefighter by thousands of dollars per year?
How much would you lose? These overtime pay cuts are like
a giant new tax on working families by a president who,
at the same time, works hard to give tax breaks to millionaires.

With a failing economy, millions out of work and staggering
health care and prescription drug costs, this is a burden
America's workers should NOT have to bear. The overtime
rules protect workers from bosses who would impose unbearably
long hours if they didn't have to pay extra for overtime
work. Many workers would have less predictable work schedules
because of the increased demand for overtime work.

We all need to speak out on this issue. The AFL-CIO and
all of America's unions are asking our members--and all
working families--to join the fight to protect overtime
pay. Please take one minute right now to ask your friends,
family and co-workers to do their part to protect overtime
by clicking on the link below.
http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/ot4dol/forward/w6e56541jmjw

We already stopped two congressional attacks to destroy
the 40-hour workweek. You already may have taken action
on that issue, but we need you to act today on this request.

Thanks for speaking out on this important issue.

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign
up for Working Families e-Activist Network at:

http://www.unionvoice.org/wfean/join.html?r=jpq0_iK1w11hE

"When I fed the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why they are
poor, they called me a communist."

--Brazilian Archbishop Dom Helder Camara