[Imc-newsroom] Independent Media Caucus

Eric Galatas eric at freespeech.org
Tue Apr 5 15:22:39 CDT 2005

hoping to see you there...

* * *

Independent Media Caucus to Convene
@ National Conference for Media Reform
St. Louis, MO, May 13 - 15, 2005

Imagine how public discourse might be affected if all independent radio,
television, print and internet media were to put their shoulders behind
campaigns to reform media.

Free Press, a non-profit organization working to involve the public in
media policy-making and to craft policies for a more democratic media
system, is hosting the National Conference for Media Reform in St. Louis,
MO, May 13 - 15, 2005.

The conference will bring together over a thousand activists, scholars,
media creators, and policy makers for an event focused on building momentum
for media policy battles and activist campaigns on the local, regional, and
national levels.

Free Speech TV, a non-profit, public interest television network, is
coordinating an independent media caucus during the conference.  The goal
of the caucus is to discuss independent media producer's media policy
priorities, and to discuss how we can help advance media reform campaigns.

We are reaching out to decision makers from a broad range of independent
media projects to encourage you to register for the conference, and join us
at this caucus.  The conversation will include discussion on building a
working model for a progressive media "echo-chamber," one that will amplify
voices making a case for media reform.

Corporate media outlets routinely play the role of bullhorn for special
interests.  Thanks to reduced news budgets and increased investment in
public relations, corporate campaigns to privatize water, to de-regulate
industry, and other questionable policy agendas, go straight from the
corporate boardroom to the front page.

Can we take this model and turn it to our advantage?

We're looking forward to a conversation among participants in this
Independent Media Caucus to discuss ways to make this happen -- without
adding additional work or costs.

If you're planning to attend the conference, we hope you can join us to
meet your peers working in Independent Media, to discuss the need for media
reform, and to find ways we can make a difference.   Caucuses at the
conference are tentatively scheduled for the 4:00 - 5:30 slot on the
Saturday evening  please look for this in the program.

For more information about the National Conference for Media Reform and to
register, visit http://www.freepress.net/conference.

For more information about the Independent Media Caucus, please contact
Eric Galatas:
Eric at freespeech.org

Eric Galatas
Program Director
Free Speech TV
P.O. Box 6060
Boulder, CO 80306
303.442.8445 ext 108
303.442.6472 fax
eric at freespeech.org
www.freespeech.org

Working with activists and artists, FSTV uses television to cultivate an
informed and active citizenry in order to advance progressive social
change.  Now available 24 hours a day on DISH Network (channel 9415)