[Imc-newsroom] Direct Action: Addressing Sexual Violence within Activist Communities

Colleen Cook colleencook7 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:29:10 CDT 2005

Direct Action: Addressing Sexual Violence within
Activist Communities

An open dialogue about dealing with sexual harassment, sexual assault, rape,
and misogynistic violence within activist communities

Saturday, April 16 at 2pm
U-C Independent Media Center, 218 W. Main St., Urbana

Activist communities are dedicated to struggles for justice; yet sometimes
our own communities can be unsafe because of sexual harassment or other
violence from within the group. How can we deal with sexual violence when it
occurs within our justice-seeking groups? Join fellow activists for an open
dialogue about sexual violence among activist groups and how we can address
it.. This workshop is queer and transinclusive. For more information,
contact Ariel at a_clemenzi at yahoo.com.

This workshop is sponsored by Urbana-Champaign’s Independent Media Center’s
Climate Group and will be facilitated by members of Chicago Action Medical,
Chicagoland Anarchist Network, Pomegranate Radical Health Collective, and
Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline.

***For this dialogue to work, we need your help.

Please RSVP by April 12th that you or your group will be in attendance, so
that adequate space can be reserved.

In order for that this workshop to better meet your needs, we also recommend
that you and members of your organization complete a brief survey at

(http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=65542952853).

The survey is anonymous, and will only take a few minutes. ***

***Please forward this e-mail to your entire group. ***