[Imc-newsroom] Crisis Communications/Make Media Connections/Shortcuts

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Wed Apr 27 16:39:31 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES - Wednesday, April 27, 2005
Enroll for today for Friday's workshop. . .

* CRISIS COMMUNCATIONS AND THE MEDIA *
Friday, April 29, 9 a.m. - noon
at Community Media Workshop on Columbia College's south Loop campus at 623
S. Wabash, Suite 201, Chicago.

When something bad happens that involves your organization, how you handle
the media afterwards can have a deep effect on the future of your
organization. Get a taste of what will happen at this workshop at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=418.

This workshop is designed with the boards and staff of nonprofits in mind.
To register online, go to
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=5.
The fee is $95.

Community Media Workshop's annual conference . . .

* MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS *
Wednesday and Thursday, June 1 & 2, 2005, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
at Columbia College Chicago, 1104 S. Wabash, Chicago

June 1 includes full-day and half-day specialized media and communication
skill building workshops: Storytelling, Media Boot Camp, Power Pitching and
more.  Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=454.

June 2 is a full-day panel of speakers, panel discussions and two FREE
roundtable discussions about improving media coverage of African-American
and Latino communities and issues.
- Keynoters are Sun-Times columnist Mary Mitchell and author Alex Kotlowitz

- Satirist Aaron Freeman will perform
- Presenters include journalists from the Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago
Tribune, Daily Herald, WBEZ/Chicago Public Radio, Telemundo, CLTV, Time
Magazine, Christian Science Monitor, Time Magazine, Chicago Defender and
other mainstream, independent, community and ethnic news outlets; plus
media relations experts Carolyn Grisko, Mort Kaplan, Valerie Denney, Alton
Miller to name a few. See the full schedule at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=453.

For more information and to register, see
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=440.

At www.newstips.org . . .

* PITCH YOUR NEWSTIPS *
http://www.newstips.org/forms/suggest_newstip.php

Bookmark this page! Here's an easy means to pitch your news to Newstips
editor Curtis Black. Newstips previews grassroots community initiatives.
Newstips are added to newstips.org frequently with links at the top of the
front page. More than 700 Chicago-area journalists receive this tipsheet.

* HELP FOR OVERWORKED, STRESSED-OUT NEWS RELEASE WRITERS *
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=141

Try our guided press release creator tool in the PR TIPS section of our
website.

* MENTION YOUR EVENT *
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=371

Send information about your event to these online community calendars
sponsored by some Chicago news outlets.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.