[Imc-newsroom] Organizing Impact/Media Answers/Mark These Dates

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Thu Aug 25 19:29:20 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ August 25, 2005
On Chicago's CAN-TV Channel 21. . .

> ORGANIZING WORKERS AND COMMUNITIES <
featured Saturday, August 27, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

"Organizing," at its best, can bring hope and engage people in unique and
effective ways, against the powers-that-be in the worlds of business and
government. Taking a look at how workers and community leaders use
organizing and are beginning to work more closely to increase the impact of
their work are Regina McGraw of the Wieboldt Foundation, Antonia Dempsey of
Chicago Interfaith Committee on Worker Issues and Amisha Patel of SEIU 73
with host Thom Clark. Previously aired 7/30/05.

-------------------------------------
Recently Asked Questions . . .

> ARE DEMOS AVAILABLE FOR THE DIGITAL "GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT"? <

No. On the other hand, the 2005 version of the Workshop's digital media
guide is now available for a mere $50 while supplies last. See
http://www.newstips.org/cart for more info and to order. Also, you can make
an appointment to come to the Workshop to use the digital or print guide
for free; call 312-344-6400.

> WHEN DOES THE 2006 MEDIA GUIDE COME OUT? <

The 2006 media guide, to feature new articles and expanded listings for
Midwest news outlets, is about to go to press. The Workshop expects the
print and digital versions to be released in September with only a little
less fanfare than the last Harry Potter book. You can subscribe at the
pre-publication rate at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

> WHAT IS THE AP DAYBOOK? <

Mark Donahue and Yvonne Hortillo handle the Daybook for the Chicago bureau.
Here's how Mark explains it:

The AP Daybook is an electronic planner of upcoming events that runs on
the (Associated Press) wire three times a day. It's intended for our
members to use for planning purposes. We encourage them NOT to publish it,
as it often has sensitive contact phone numbers on it. Most of the major AP
bureaus have their own local daybooks (New York, Washington, etc.).

The Daybook exists as far ahead as we have material available. But
when we run it out for members on the wire, we give them the current
day's listings and those for the next six days, a week's worth.

Here's a sample entry from today's Daybook to give you an idea...

CHICAGO -- Mayor Daley attends the city police department's graduation
ceremony. 9:25 a.m. Navy Pier, grand ballroom, 600 E. Grand Ave.
Contact: 312-744-3334 or 312-745-6110.

Who gets on the Daybook? People, groups or offices who are planning
actual spot events with a time, place and date. We put events from Mayor
Daley and Gov. Blagojevich on it, along with those from other state/city
offices: attorney general, secretary of state, etc. In addition, we put
on important court dates, community rallies, protests, academic
conferences of note, sports team announcements and ribbon cuttings, to
name just a few. If it would be of real news interest to our members,
it's on there.

How do you get something on the Daybook? For the AP Chicago Daybook,
your event must be happening in the state of Illinois, that's our
jurisdiction. If it's a conference call, it should apply to Illinois.
Then, simply send us a news release by fax to 312-930-9564 or email:
mdonahue at ap.org.

>From there, we'll determine if the event should go on. I will say that
we shy away from blatant company promotions for products or services. We
don't want to seem like we're endorsing something people should pay for.

-------------------------------------

> MARK YOUR CALENDAR <

Friday, September 2, 2005, 6 p.m. -- Chicago Headline Club's Burger Night
will be at the Billy Goat Tavern, 430 N. Michigan Ave., lower level, in
Chicago. There are all sort of reasons to mingle with journalists when you
don't have a story immediately to pitch. Maybe you need an advisor in the
media who can help you hone your pitch on a future story. Maybe you are new
at media relations and gaining insight into journalists and Chicago
journalism over a CHEEZBORGER at the Goat is just what you need. Admission
is free; no reservations required. More Burger Nights are expected to be
schedule on the first Friday of the month.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 -- Publicity Club of Chicago Luncheon
will be at Maggiano's, 516 N. Clark in Chicago. Topic is yet to be
announced; go to http://www.publicity.org soon for details. Articles about
past luncheon discussions are at http://www.publicity.org/articlesindx.htm.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 -- Studs Terkel Awards, sponsored annually by
Community Media Workshop, will have community and media movers-n-shakers
honoring outstanding journalists for covering Chicago's diverse
communities. For photos and text on this year's ceremonies, see
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=430.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists and
media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital work in their
community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide workshops, an
annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet, briefing papers,
sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.