[Imc-newsroom] Reporters Roundtable/ Cruickshank's Take/2006 Trainings/Corley's New Orleans

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Fri Dec 16 12:56:04 CST 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES - December 15, 2005

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

>> THE BLUES BAG or HOW THE CITY COULD RUN A RECYCLING PROGRAM <<
featured Saturday, December 17, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

New York City's and Los Angeles' participation rates are above 70
percent. Chicago participation in its recycling program is only 13
percent.  Betsy Vandercook of the Chicago Recycling Coalition
examines how Chicagoans can clean up their recycling program,
learn why they've had trouble in the past and what the future holds,
with host Thom Clark.

On WNUA 95.5 . . .

>> KATRINA, SCHOOLS, CORRUPTION, HOUSING AND MORE <<
featured Sunday, January 1, 6:30 a.m. on "City Voices" on WNUA 95.5 FM

Looking back on a year where the floodwaters of Katrina swept away the
veil of class and race in this country, at least for a moment, the
co-hosts of WNUA's long-running public affairs show will start the New
Year, and its thirteenth year on WNUA, with a Reporter's Roundtable
looking back on some key stories facing Chicago and the region.
Chicago Reporter's Alden Loury, Catalyst's Lorraine Forte and the
Community Media Workshop's Thom Clark will discuss whether:
Renaissance 2010 makes a measurable impact on improving
CPS schools, City Hall corruption will effect Mayor Daley's
re-election bid in 2007, widespread gentrification occurring across the
city is a good or bad trend, and public housing transformation is taking
hold.

Meeting John Cruickshank. . .

>> NEWS, NEIGHBORHOODS AND WHAT'S NEXT - January 31, 2006 <<

Community and non-profit leaders, journalists, student and the public
are invited to join in a conversation with John Cruickshank, Publisher
of the Chicago Sun-Times and COO of the Sun-Times News Group.
The Sun-Times'  focus is local news, as is the group's many
suburban and community newspapers. Organized by Community
Media Workshop and co-sponsors Columbia College Chicago
Chapter of Society Professional Journalists and Columbia
College Chronicle, this event is FREE.
When: 5-7 p.m., Tuesday, January 31.   Where: HotHouse, 31 E. Balbo,
Chicago.

Up next at the Workshop . . .

>>PROFESSIONAL MEDIA RELATIONS / January 27 - February 24, 2006<<
This is Community Media Workshop's ever-popular training, which
includes developing a media strategy, discussions with journalists,
practice pitching stories and broadcast interviewing, during five
Friday mornings of intense training. Specifically designed for
nonprofit communicators, participants plan a media campaign
around one of their own stories while acquiring basic public
relations skills and confidence.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=1

>>POWER PITCHING: THE PHONE CALL WORTH 1000 WORDS - February 7, 2006<<
A short pitch call - followed by a short fax that puts an edge on your
story -- usually works better than a longer elegantly worded news
release. It's effective and efficient. Learn how it works.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=60

>> STORYTELLING TO CREATE CHANGE - March 8, 2006 <<
A good story is a prerequisite to getting media and the public's
attention. Information and statistics are not enough. Come
ready to write, sweat and try out story ideas in small groups.
Learn to find your organization's stories and how to tell stories with
impact.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=30

>> A PERSONAL VIEW OF NEW ORLEANS <<

Studs Terkel Award winner Cheryl Corley of National Public Radio has
been covering stories about the effects of Hurricane Katrina on the
Gulf coast region. Her reports can be heard on NPR stations throughout
the country including Chicago Public Radio at 91.5FM. Here's some
additional reflections on her experiences that she's shared with
friends and colleagues...

The physical danger of covering a city inundated by flood waters is
gone.  It is dry in New Orleans. The battle now for the people who
have returned is dealing with mold, trying to find jobs if they don't
have one, getting over the loss and rebuilding if they can.  My first
stint of reporting began after Hurricane Katrina tore through the
Gulf Coast and just as New Orleans braced itself for another
hurricane hit in September.  Hurricane Rita did not disappoint.
In its wake, the city's lower 9th ward and other areas were flooded
again.

As I traveled through the  city, I felt like a visitor from another
planet who had come to witness the end of the world--it
was just that bleak.  Streets were dark and empty, houses
ravaged, cars and even a few boats piled in heaps on
medians of some streets.  The amount of debris was
amazing.  It was often spooky.

In November, I returned for another round of duty.  I was impressed by
some of the changes.  To be sure, there remain a myriad of problems,
but I rode a bike through the French Quarter where the city and
residents were conducting a massive cleanup.  Café Du Monde
and other restaurants were open---fine dining is back and I must
say I've had some of the best meals I've ever eaten. Many of the
refrigerators full of rotting food have been hauled away and in most
places, there's no longer the stench of garbage.  The medians
with the junked cars and debris are  clean in many neighborhoods.
I watched a city worker cutting the grass there as if it was simply
a mundane chore---and it was. The artists and musicians
congregate again around the French Quarter's Jackson Square
and in neighborhoods outside of the tourist area, there are signs
touting the businesses that have opened.

New Orleans is a city in a massive struggle.  There is anger,
optimism, disappointment and hope here....and more change
for the better than I expected to see when I returned.

For more reaction to Hurricane Katrina, see some Katrina Newstips at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=528

It's about knowing what they want and how they want it . . .

>> CHICAGO-AREA MEDIA QUIZ / TRUE OR FALSE? <<

1) Redeye's Kathryn Masterson covers a wide variety of topics
including sexual assault and other crimes and gay rights.
Contacting her by email is best, phoning next best.

2) Elena Ferrarin reports for Reflejos, the weekly newspaper
covering NW Cook Co., Kane Co., McHenry Co., Lake Co.,
DuPage Co. for Latinos. She's interested in stories about
immigration, education, labor, housing that relates to the
Latino community, inspirational stories and stories that
present solutions. She prefers to be contacted via email
or phone.

3) Chicago Reader columnist Liz Armstrong covers anything
from parties to lectures, book readings, protests, fashion
shows & other radical arts stuff and is best contacted by email.

4) Times of Northwest Indiana's columnist Jerry Davich
writes about E. Lake Co, Indiana social issues and
human interest stories.

5) Chicago Sun-Times' Stephanie Zimmermann covers consumer affairs
and investigations, is only in the office Fridays and Saturdays and
prefers contact via email.

Answers: 1-5 are all true.
Source: "Getting On The Air & Into Print", 2006 edition, print and
digital version.

For more information about Community Media Workshop's media
guide offering information for 3500+ journalists and 700+ news
outlets in digital and/or print format, see
http://www.newstips.org/cart/index.php.

(Publicity Club of Chicago current members will receive their print
guide later this month.  To become or renew your membership, go to
http://www.publicity.org/membership.htm.)

At www.newstips.org . . .

>> RECENT NEWSTIPS <<

Holiday Shoppers Urged to 'Buy Local'
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=559

Manley Students Rehab Abandoned Home
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=561

Conservation Could Cut Natural Gas Prices
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=555

Shoppers Warned of Hazardous Toys
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=551

>> SUBMIT TO COMMUNITY CALENDARS <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=371

Non-profit and community organizations are invited to submit event
information to Chicago-area media outlets quick and easy via these
handy links.

>> MAKE A DONATION <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Donate&main_id=53

There are lots of ways to give to the Workshop be it cash, an in-kind
contribution or time.
Q: Why give to the Community Media Workshop?
A: Because promoting news that matters matters. The Workshop's work
with numerous community leaders and groups makes them more
effective at creating positive change that resonates beyond their
communities. Also, because we know how to pinch our pennies and
use our resources wisely, your contribution will go far.  To contribute
funds, the web page is handy.  If you'd like to discuss your cash
donation or would like to make an in-kind contribution or volunteer,
contact Jennifer Layne at 312-344-6400 or jennifer at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing
vital work in their community connect with the media and visa versa.
We provide workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a
journalists' tipsheet, briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the
Studs Terkel Awards...that will be April 5, 2006, by the way.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break
our hearts and remove yourself from this list, reply to this
message with "Opt-Out" in the subject line.