[Imc-newsroom] News in Review/Digital Directory/Cruickshank talk/Resources and Links

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Wed Dec 21 12:51:21 CST 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES - December 21, 2005
On WNUA 95.5 . . .

>> KATRINA, SCHOOLS, CORRUPTION, HOUSING AND MORE <<
featured Sunday, January 1, 6:30 a.m. on "City Voices" on WNUA 95.5 FM

Looking back on a year where the floodwaters of Katrina swept away the
veil of class and race in this country, at least for a moment, the
co-hosts of WNUA's long-running public affairs show will start the New
Year, and its thirteenth year on WNUA, with a Reporter's Roundtable
looking back on some key stories facing Chicago and the region.
Chicago Reporter's Alden Loury, Catalyst's Lorraine Forte and the
Community Media Workshop's Thom Clark will discuss whether:
Renaissance 2010 makes a measurable impact on improving
CPS schools, City Hall corruption will effect Mayor Daley's
re-election bid in 2007, widespread gentrification occurring across the
city is a good or bad trend, and public housing transformation is
taking hold.

Recently Asked Question . . .

>> IS THE SAME INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE MEDIA GUIDE BOOK ON THE CD-ROM?
<<

Yes and no. Information about news outlets provided in the "Getting On
The Air & Into Print" book are also featured on the CD.  The digital
media guide does, however, offer more names and contact information
for journalists at some of the smaller outlets.

For more about the Workshop's media guide offering information for
3500+ journalists and 700+ news outlets in digital and/or print
format, see http://www.newstips.org/cart/index.php.

(Publicity Club of Chicago's current members' print guides are in the
mail.  They can order the digital guide at
http://www.newstips.org/FlyerPCC99.MediaGuide2006.pdf.
To become a member or renew your membership, go to
http://www.publicity.org/membership.htm.  )

Up next at the Workshop . . .

>>PROFESSIONAL MEDIA RELATIONS / January 27 - February 24, 2006<<
This is Community Media Workshop's ever-popular training, which
includes developing a media strategy, discussions with
journalists, practice pitching stories and broadcast interviewing,
during five Friday mornings of intense training. Specifically designed
for nonprofit communicators, participants plan a media campaign
around one of their own stories while acquiring basic public relations
skills and confidence.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=1

>> POWER PITCHING: THE PHONE CALL WORTH 1000 WORDS - February 7, 2006 <<
A short pitch call - followed by a short fax that puts an edge on your
story -- usually works better than a longer elegantly worded news
release. It's effective and efficient. Learn how it works.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=60

>> STORYTELLING TO CREATE CHANGE - March 8, 2006 <<
A good story is a prerequisite to getting media and the public's
attention. Information and statistics are not enough. Come
ready to write, sweat and try out story ideas in small groups.
Learn to find your organization's stories and how to tell stories
with impact.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=30

Meet John Cruickshank. . .

>> NEWS, NEIGHBORHOODS AND WHAT'S NEXT - January 31, 2006 <<

Community and non-profit leaders, journalists, student and the public
are invited to join in a conversation with John Cruickshank, Publisher
of the Chicago Sun-Times and COO of the Sun-Times News Group.
The Sun-Times' focus is local news, as is the group's many suburban
and community newspapers.  Organized by Community Media
Workshop and co-sponsors Columbia College Chicago Chapter
of Society Professional Journalists and Columbia College Chronicle,
this event is FREE.
When: 5-7 p.m., Tuesday, January 31.
Where: HotHouse, 31 E. Balbo, Chicago.

At www.newstips.org . . .

>> DAVID WILHELM'S 10 TACTICS <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?main_id=13&section=PR+Tips+Sub

David Wilhelm, once chairman of the Democratic National Committee,
suggests 10 tactics for a winning media campaign.

>> LINK YOUR WEBSITE TO NEWSTIPS.ORG <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Resources+Nonprofits

Nonprofit groups with websites can link from our site to theirs. This
is a great way to help journalists find you as they work on stories
about issues that matter to you and draw more attention to your
website through the common search engines.

>> WORKSHOP NOTES NEWSLETTER <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=About+CMW&main_id=556

Find articles here about the power of photography, local groups efforts
to get coverage of issues, highlights from the Studs Terkel Awards
and the Making Media Connections conference and other scoops.

>> MAKE A DONATION <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Donate&main_id=53

There are lots of ways to give to the Workshop be it cash, an in-kind
contribution or time.
Q: Why give to the Community Media Workshop?
A: Because promoting news that matters matters. The Workshop's
work with numerous community leaders and groups makes them
more effective at creating positive change that resonates beyond
their communities. Also, because we know how to pinch our
pennies and use our resources wisely, your contribution will
go far.  To contribute funds, the web page is handy.  If you'd
like to discuss your cash donation or would like to make an
in-kind contribution or volunteer, contact Jennifer Layne at
312-344-6400 or jennifer at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing
vital work in their community connect with the media and visa versa.
We provide workshops, an annual conference, a media guide,
a journalists' tipsheet, briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the
Studs Terkel Awards...that will be April 5, 2006, by the way.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.