[Imc-newsroom] Media Quiz/Conference highlights/Meet Journalists

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Fri Jul 8 16:28:11 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ July 8, 2005

>CHICAGO-AREA MEDIA QUIZ:TRUE OR FALSE?<

1) For best results, contact Fox's News Planner Christine Badowski
mornings.

2) NPR's David Schaper covers transportation, education, politics, and
crime and legal issues and it's best to contact him by email or fax; he
prefers voice mail be brief.

3) Chicago Tribune's Lake Co. Bureau reporter Gayle Worland looks for
stories about people of all ages starting or bucking trends, facing
challenges, making transitions and achieving the unusual. She prefers to be
contacted via email.

4) Springfield State Journal-Register's Sarah Antonacci, Chicago Tribune's
Patrcia Callahan and Laurie Cohen, Dateline's Marsha Bartel, Fox-32's Diane
Carbonera and Larry Yellen, WMAQ-TV's Carol Marin and Renee Ferguson,
WLS-TV's Chuck Goudie and Ann Pistone, WBBM-TV's Pam Zekman and Chicago
Sun-Times Stephanie Zimmerman do investigative reporting.

Answers: 1-4 are all true.
Source: "Getting On The Air & Into Print", 2005 edition, print and digital
version.

For more information about Community Media Workshop's media guide offering
information for 3500+ journalists and 700+ news outlets in digital and/or
print format, see http://www.newstips.org/cart/index.php.

-------------------------------------
The buzz continues . . .

>MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS BROUGHT COMMUNITY AND MEDIA TOGETHER<

The Workshop's annual conference was over a month ago and we are still
getting reactions from participants and presenters about what a great
event.  See pictures and Mark W. Anderson's write up at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=About+CMW&main_id=495

-------------------------------------
Meet Journalists . . .

>CAROL MARIN DISCUSSES LEADERSHIP IN THE NEWSROOM<
Monday, July 11, 2005 / 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Catalyst Ranch, 656 W. Randolph, Suite 3W, Chicago, IL 60661

Join ABC News' Carole Simpson and other journalists from around the country
celebrate the opening of International Women's Media Foundation's
Leadership Institute for Women Journalists. Chicago's own award-winning
Carol Marin, investigative reporter for NBC5 and political columnist for
the Chicago Sun-Times will offer tips and advice on how to get ahead.
Please respond by July 6 to Charity Fain at 202/496-1992 or
programs at iwmf.org. This program is supported by a generous grant from  the
McCormick Tribune Foundation.

>SYMPOSIUM ON RELIGION AND THE PRESS<
Monday, July 25, 2005 / 9 a.m. to Noon
McCormick Tribune Center at Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism
1870 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL

Religious leaders will present their views of how the media cover religion
and then have a panel of reporters question them. Speakers include Francis
Cardinal George, the Catholic Archbishop of Chicago; Michael Kotzin, the
executive vice president of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago;
Safaa Zarzour, the chair of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in
Chicago; and Ellen Blumhofer, a professor and director of the Institute for
the Study of American Evangelicals at Wheaton College. The symposium is
free and no reservations are required. For more information, contact
Katherine Labinsky, (847) 491-5401 or k-labinsky at northwestern.edu

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.