[Imc-newsroom] Organizing Impact/Media Guide/Resources/Dates

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Thu Jul 28 16:21:23 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ July 29, 2005
On Chicago's CAN-TV Channel 21. . .

> ORGANIZING WORKERS AND COMMUNITIES <
featured Saturday, July 30, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

"Organizing," at its best, can bring hope and engage people in unique and
effective ways, against the powers-that-be in the worlds or business and
government. Taking a look at how workers and community leaders use
organizing and are beginning to work more closely to increase the impact of
their work are Regina McGraw of the Wieboldt Foundation, Antonia Dempsey of
Chicago Interfaith Committee on Worker Issues and Amisha Patel of SEIU 73
with host Thom Clark.

-------------------------------------
Recently Asked Questions . . .

> ARE DEMOS AVAILABLE FOR THE DIGITAL "GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT"? <

No. On the other hand, the 2005 version of the digital media guide is now
available for a mere $50 while supplies last. See
http://www.newstips.org/cart for more info and to order. Also, you can make
an appointment to come to the Workshop to use the digital or print guide
for free; call 312-344-6400.

The 2006 media guide, to feature new articles and expanded listings for
Midwest news outlets, is in production now. Anyone with new information
that should be add can contact Karen Kring at karen at newstips.org or
312-344-6400.

-------------------------------------
At www.newstips.org . . .

> PITCH YOUR NEWSTIPS <
http://www.newstips.org/forms/suggest_newstip.php

Bookmark this page! Here's an easy means to pitch your news to Newstips
editor Curtis Black. Newstips previews grassroots community initiatives.
Newstips are added to newstips.org frequently with links at the top of the
front page. More than 700 journalists receive this tipsheet.

> LINK TO NONPROFITS AND COMMUNITY GROUPS <
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Resources+Nonprofits

Nonprofit groups list themselves and their website here in order to be a
resource to journalists and connect with others who should know about them.

-------------------------------------

> BUILDING COMMUNICATIONS CAPACITY <
http://www.aspenwsi.org/publications/04-069.pdf

"Next to doing the right thing, the most important thing is to let people
know you are doing the right thing." - John D. Rockefeller

So starts this report published by The Aspen Institute, which looks at the
experience of six nonprofits' communications initiatives.  It highlights
strategic communications as a vital tool that should be integrated into an
organization's overall strategic plan in order to achieve objectives and
can be used to raise funds, attract new clients, recruit high profile board
members and solidify public support for their work.

-------------------------------------

> MARK YOUR CALENDAR <

Friday, September 2, 2005, 6 p.m. -- Chicago Headline Club's Burger Night
will be at the Billy Goat Tavern, 430 N. Michigan Ave., lower level, in
Chicago. There are all sort of reasons to mingle with journalists when you
don't have a story immediately to pitch. Maybe you need an advisor in the
media who can help you hone your pitch on a future story. Maybe you are new
at media relations and gaining insight into journalists and Chicago
journalism over a CHEEZBORGER at the Goat is just what you need. Admission
is free; no reservations required. More Burger Nights are expected to be
schedule on the first Friday of the month.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 -- Publicity Club of Chicago Luncheon
will be at Maggiano's, 516 N. Clark in Chicago. Topic is yet to be
announced; go to http://www.publicity.org in a few weeks for details.
Articles about past luncheon discussions are at
http://www.publicity.org/articlesindx.htm.

-------------------------------------
Correction: The July 7 media quiz gave inaccurate information for Gayle
Worland and John Dobberstein. Media's forever on the move. Gayle Worland is
no longer at the Chicago Tribune and features for the Wisconsin State
Journal and can be contacted at gworland at madison.com or 608-252-6188.  John
Dobberstein is no longer with the Daily Southtown and is now with the South
Bend Tribune at jdobberstein at sbtinfo.com.

Liam Ford, Linda Lutton, Stephanie Gehring and Candy Hatcher noted the
errors, so like Chicago Tribune's Daybreak does, we'll be sending them a
pen.
Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists and
media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital work in their
community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide workshops, an
annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet, briefing papers,
sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.