[Imc-newsroom] Housing/Terkel Show/75+ Journalists /Trib in Iraq

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Thu May 12 20:26:56 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES - Friday, May 13, 2005
On Chicago's CAN-TV Channel 21. . .

> PRESERVING AFFORDABLE HOUSING <
featured Saturday, May 14, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

The Lawndale community is facing the loss of 1,000 units of project-based
Section 8 housing, one example of a growing trend that 150,000 households
may face over the next five years. Tony Fuller of the ACORN Housing
Corporation and Wyvonia Pickett of ACORN Tenants United join Gene Moreno of
the Chicago Rehab Network to discuss affordable housing preservation with
host Thom Clark.

Also on CAN-TV Channel 21 . . .

> STUDS TERKEL AWARDS 2005 <
Sunday, May 22, 2005, 3:30 p.m.

Features tributes to Lu Palmer, Vernon Jarrett and Grant Pick, wit and
wisdom of awardees Tracy Baim, John Conroy and Mary Schmich, and Studs
Terkel himself.

For more about this year's winners and pictures from this great event, go
to http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=430.

-------------------------------------
Coming up at the Workshop . . .

> SPIN 101: MEDIA BOOT CAMP <
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 / $195 per person includes lunch

This highly interactive, fun, grassroots-oriented workshop covers media
tactics designed to increase the profile of your group or issue in the
press. The media is a powerful player in the local, state, and national
debate around critical issues. Help shape this debate by learning how to
get your voice heard, your messages communicated, and your story told in
the press. Learn more and register at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=454.

> SECRETS OF EFFECTIVE POWER POINT PRESENTATIONS <
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 / 9 a.m. ­ Noon / $95 per person

At this highly interactive workshop you'll learn how to make PowerPoint
presentations that are effective tools for reinforcing your message instead
of boring or annoying your audience.  Find out how to avoid the most common
mistakes; hear the two secrets of creating a clear and impactful
presentation and the five tricks to pulling it off. Learn more and register
at http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=454.

> THE ART OF THE TELEVISION INTERVIEW <
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 / 1 - 4 p.m. / $95 per person

One day it will be your turn to go on TV! Appearing on television is a far
different experience than speaking in public. Veteran Fox TV News anchor
and reporter Loree Vick will help you develop the skills & techniques to
project a positive, confident image. Learn to address the camera
effectively, speak in sound bites, and present yourself for maximum
effectiveness on camera. Loree put ordinary people on air every day and
knows how to prepare people for feature or crisis coverage. Learn more and
register at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=454.

-------------------------------------

> INTERNET STRATEGIES, TIPS & TRICKS <

Is there any way around the challenge of sharing long URL's?  Yes. "Take
advantage of a free service called 'TinyURL.com.' Paste an incredibly long
URL into the TinyURL screen and it converts to a very small address. I
don't know how it works, but it works," says Jonathan Lehrer, the
Workshop's Internet trainer. To learn more, spend an hour with Jonathan
during "Internet Marketing Tips," the one-hour session he'll lead on
Thursday, June 2 during the Making Media Connections conference.

The full schedule of timely discussions at the conference is available via
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=440.

-------------------------------------
Meet Journalists . . .

> DEBORAH HORAN/What's What in Iraq and the Middle East <
Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 5:45 p.m.
Columbia College Chicago, 1104 S. Wabash Ave., Rm. 504, Chicago

Chicago Tribune's Deborah Horan spent 17 weeks last year in Iraq covering
the war, the occupation and the political situation. She will discuss her
experiences covering the Iraq story and share the insights she gained
during this informal presentation. Sponsored by the Association for Women
Journalists; cost is $10 non-members. For more information and to RSVP, go
to http://www.awjchicago.org and click on "events."

> MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS <
Wednesday & Thursday, June 1 & 2, 2005
Columbia College Chicago, 1104 S. Wabash Ave., 8th Fl., Chicago

Journalists and the public converge to discuss promoting news that matters.
Come meet:

Aaron Freeman, journalist, comedian, commentator
Alex Kotlowitz, author and journalist
Mary Mitchell, Chicago Sun-Times columnist
Cornelia Grumman, editorial writer for Chicago Tribune
Dave Beery, Daily Herald
Craig Dellimore, WBBM-Radio
Rick Kogan, WGN-Radio and Chicago Tribune
Charlie Meyerson, Chicago Tribune Interactive
Mike McHugh, Crain's Interactive Editor
Justin Kaufmann, Chicago Public Radio
Breeze Lutke-Stahlman, Chicago Public Radio
Tracy Baim, Publisher and Editor, Windy City Times
Mark Brown, Chicago Sun-Times columnist
Dawn Trice, Chicago Tribune columnist
Amanda Paulson, Christian Science Monitor
Wendy Cole, Time Magazine
Melanie Coffee, Associated Press
Tom McNamee, Chicago Sun-Times
Scott Fornek, Chicago Sun-Times
Lloyd Sachs, Chicago Sun-Times editorial writer
Sylvia Ewing, WBEZ/Chicago Public Radio producer
Eric Zorn, Chicago Tribune columnist
Casey Sanchez, Extra
Susy Schultz, Chicago Parent
Shane Tritsch, Chicago Magazine
Harold Henderson, Chicago Reader
Deidra White, WBBM-TV / Channel 2
Anita Selvaggio, CLTV
Wanda Wells, Fox 32
Lori Olszewski, Chicago Tribune
Cliff Kelley, WVON
Salim Muwakkil, syndicated columnist and editor, In These Times
Alysha Tate, Chicago Reporter
Don Wycliff, public editor, Chicago Tribune
Jorge Mota, Telemundo Channel 44
Marilia Gutierrez, Reflejos
Rey Flores, Hoy/Chicago Tribune
Oscar Avila, Chicago Tribune
Linda Lutton, Daily Southtown

But for a more complete list of journalists expected, start at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=440.
Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.