[Imc-newsroom] Free Speech During War/Go Studs!/Perfect Power Point/Quiz/Mingle with Media

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Thu May 19 17:46:16 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES - Friday, May 20, 2005
On WNUA 95.5 . . .

> FIRST AMENDMENT IN TIMES OF WAR <
featured Sunday, May 22, 6:30 a.m. on "City Voices" on WNUA 95.5 FM

Throughout history, during times of war, the First Amendment rights to free
speech and press come under fire -- from the Sedition Act of 1798, aimed at
thwarting critics of then President John Adams and the Federalist Party, to
the more recent Patriot Act.  Joining host Thom Clark to examine how
freedom of expression can be affected during a time of war are Geoffrey
Stone, Professor at University of Chicago's School of Law and author of
"Perilous Times: Free Speech in Wartime" and Deborah Horan, reporter for
Chicago Tribune who recently returned from covering the Iraq War.

On Chicago's CAN-TV Channel 21. . .

> STUDS TERKEL AWARDS 2005 <
Sunday, May 22, 2005, 3:30 p.m.

Mark Studs Terkel 93rd birthday this week and tune in to coverage of the
2005 Studs Terkel Awards featuring tributes to Lu Palmer, Vernon Jarrett
and Grant Pick, wit and wisdom of awardees Tracy Baim, John Conroy, James
Weinstein and Mary Schmich, and Studs Terkel himself.  For more about this
year's winners and pictures from this great event, go to
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=430.

> ZONING'S IMPACT ON CHICAGO'S COMMUNITIES <
featured Saturday, May 21, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Zoning can reshape the landscape of a community, for better or for worse.
Some citizens believe the City of Chicago isn't doing enough to engage
citizens in the process, despite a recent series of town hall meetings to
explain a recently passed zoning ordinance.  Peter Skosey of the
Metropolitan Planning Council, Alejandra Ibanez of the Pilsen Alliance and
Michael Land of the 49th Ward discuss the impact of zoning reform in
Chicago communities with host Thom Clark.

Also on Chicago's CAN-TV and Free Speech TV. . .

> BILL MOYER RESPONDS TO CRITICS OF PUBLIC BROADCASTING <

Saturday, May 21, 2005, at 1 a.m., 4 a.m., 7 a.m., noon, 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.
on Free Speech TV

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 11 a.m. on channel CAN TV21
and at midnight, 5 a.m., noon and 9 p.m. on Free Speech TV

Monday, May 23 at 9 a.m. on cable channel CAN TV19.

Bill Moyers, veteran broadcast journalist, documentary producer, and
author, wowwed the crowd of more than 2,000 journalists, activist and
interested citizens at the National Conference for Media Reform in St.
Louis last Saturday, May 14, with a stinging indictment of Beltway
journalism, a strong defense of his public affairs program, "NOW," and a
powerful reminder that the mandate of the Public Broadcasting System is to
"defend the interests of the people who have to live with the consequences
of corporate and governmental power."  For more information, call
(312)738-1400 or visit: www.cantv.org.

-------------------------------------
Coming up at the Workshop . . .

> BECOME A BETTER STORYTELLER <
Wednesday, June 1, 2005, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. / $165 per person includes lunch

Storytelling isn't just for entertaining or sharing history.  Telling
stories can paint pictures, illustrate complex situations and issues in
evocative and impactful ways that mere information often can't.  It can
transform, change attitudes and influence policy.

With that in mind, the Workshop is pleased to have award-winning
storyteller and trainer Sue O'Halloran leading this popular workshop. Come
learn how to tap the storyteller inside you and apply these skills to your
communications and media work. Be ready to write, sweat and try out story
ideas in small groups. For details about this and other June 1 workshops,
see http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=454.

> SECRETS OF EFFECTIVE POWER POINT PRESENTATIONS <
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 / 9 a.m. ­ Noon / $95 per person

At this highly interactive workshop you'll learn how to make PowerPoint
presentations that are effective tools for reinforcing your message instead
of boring or annoying your audience.  Find out how to avoid the most common
mistakes; hear the two secrets of creating a clear and impactful
presentation and the five tricks to pulling it off. Learn more and register
at http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=454.

> THE ART OF THE TELEVISION INTERVIEW <
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 / 1 - 4 p.m. / $95 per person

One day it will be your turn to go on TV! Appearing on television is a far
different experience than speaking in public. Veteran Fox TV News anchor
and reporter Loree Vick will help you develop the skills & techniques to
project a positive, confident image. Learn to address the camera
effectively, speak in sound bites, and present yourself for maximum
effectiveness on camera. Loree put ordinary people on air every day and
knows how to prepare people for feature or crisis coverage. Learn more and
register at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=454.

-------------------------------------
It's about knowing what they want and how they want it . . .

> CHICAGO-AREA MEDIA QUIZ/TRUE OR FALSE? <

1) NPR's Cheryl Corley covers general stories in the Midwest, but is
especially interested in housing issues.  She prefers contact via email.

2) Bill Zwecker is a gossip columnist for both the Chicago Sun-Times and
WBBM/CBS and it's best to email him at both places.

3) Chicago Tribune columnist Eric Zorn is best contacted via email. By
phone is a terrible way to reach him and his fax is turned off.

4) Including "story idea" in the subject line of email when pitching to
People's Weekly World's Terri Albano works best.  She covers labor issues,
civil rights, racism, youth, peace and social justice issues, international
news, women's rights, immigrant rights, GLBT, electoral and legislative
news.

5) Chicago Sun-Times' Stephanie Zimmermann covers consumer affairs and
investigations, is only in the office Fridays and Saturdays and prefers
contact via email.

Answers: 1-5 are all true.
Source: "Getting On The Air & Into Print", 2005 edition.

For more information about Community Media Workshop's media guide offering
information for 3500+ journalists and 700+ news outlets in digital and/or
print format, see http://www.newstips.org/cart/index.php.

-------------------------------------
Meet Journalists for FREE . . .

>  KARI LYDERSON/Out of the Sea and into the Fire: Latin American-U.S.
Immigration in the Global Age <
Friday, May 20, 2005, 7 p.m.
Revolution Books, 1103 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago

Washington Post reporter Kari Lyderson, and frequent Making Media
Connections conference presenter, will be discussing the stories of Latin
American migrants and the policies affecting them. Her new book revealing
personal tales of people forced to leave their homelands and forge new
lives in Latin American cities, in the border netherlands or in the US.
Kari can be reached at Karilyder at yahoo.com. For more information, call
773-489-0930. Directions: CTA Blue Line, Division stop, Revolution Books is
1 block S. of Division.

> IMPROVING COVERAGE OF LATINO AND AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITIES AND ISSUES
<
Thursday, June 2, 2005, 3:30 - 5 p.m.
Columbia College Chicago, 1104 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago

Share you opinions and insight with journalists, community leaders,
laborers, parents, teachers, teenagers and the interested public about how
media covers Latino and African-American communities and issues affecting
them at one of two FREE roundtable discussion running concurrently.

Telemundo's Jorge Mota and Chicago Sun-Times columnist Laura Washington
will lead discussions about media's relationship with these communities of
color. We'll talk about what is currently being reported and how it's being
done, what's working, what needs to improve and how to facilitate better
coverage.

Coming to "EL ENIGMA LATINO: Improving Coverage of Latino Communities and
Issues" is:

Marilia Gutierrez, Reflejos
Jesus Garcia, Little Village Community Development Corp
Rey Flores, Hoy/Chicago Tribune
Ana Maria Soto, Columbia College Chicago
Oscar Avila, Chicago Tribune
Casey Sanchez, Extra
Linda Lutton, Daily Southtown
and others

For more details and to RSVP, go to
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=469.

Coming to "THE GREAT DIVIDE: Improving Coverage of the African-American
Communities and Issues" is:

Cliff Kelley, Host, WVON
Jerry Thomas, publicist, Rainbow/PUSH Coalition
Salim Muwakkil, syndicated columnist and editor and In These Time reporter
Sylvia Ewing, journalist and producer for WBEZ/Chicago public Radio
Alysia Tate, editor and publisher, Chicago Reporter
Don Wycliff, public editor, Chicago Tribune
Roland Martin, executive editor, Chicago Defender
and others

For more details and to RSVP, go to
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=473.

Organized in cooperation with the Independent Press Association-Chicago,
Chicago Association of Hispanic Journalists, Black Public Relations
Society, Chicago Headline Club and other conference partners, these
roundtables conclude the June 1 & 2 Making Media Connections conference.
For more about the whole conference, see
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=440.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.