[Imc-newsroom] Race/Phil Ponce/Carol Marin/Develop and Sharpen Your Message

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Thu Nov 3 21:26:56 CST 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ November 4, 2005
 On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21. . .

>> RACE AND INEQUALITY <<
featured Saturday, November 5, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Katrina aftermath has made clearer the racial problems in society. How can
we address the inequalities and institutional racism the floodwaters
unleashed?  The recent Advancing Racial Justice conference gathered
activists, organizers, policy advocates and researchers to explore ways
that public policy may be shaped for the advancement of equality in
America. Terry Keleher and Josina Morita of the Applied Research Center
continue this conversation with host Thom Clark.

>> WHY WAL-MART: WIN OR WHINE? <<
featured Sunday, November 6, 3 p.m.

Wal-Mart: an example of American ingenuity, business sense, employment
opportunities and customer value or greedy, selfish, shameless
union-busting miser of an employer? Chicago political, union and community
leaders join in a lively discussion about Wal-Mart and the pros and cons of
its expansion in Chicago, featuring Alderman Howard Brookins, Elce Redmond,
State Senator Carol Ronen, WakeUpWalMart's Paul Blank and moderator Thom
Clark.

You should be able to hear audio only via
http://www.outreachradioonline.com/walmart.htm.

List your events by November 8 . . .

>> CRAIN'S BLUE DATES CALENDAR OF EVENTS <<

This annual calendar highlights non-profit and business events --
fundraisers, galas, golf tournaments, general business meetings and other
pertinent events -- via a print publication and online. To list your event
in the 2006 calendar, email details to bluedates at crain.com by November 8.

Up next at the Workshop . . .

>> PHIL PONCE AT WORKSHOP FRIEND-RAISER ­ November 13 <<

Community Media  Workshop invites you to discuss the state of public
broadcasting and the increasing influence of the Latino community in
Chicago with Phil Ponce of WTTW Channel 11 at a friend-raiser house party
at the home of Workshop board member Nicholas Delgado.  When: Sunday,
November 13 from 4-6 p.m.  Where: 1000 W. 15th St., Chicago.  RSVP to
Jennifer Layne at 312-344-6402.

>> CANDIDATES, VOTERS & THE MEDIA ­ November 15 <<

Carol Marin and Newton Minow will be featured at a half-day conference
titled "The Most Powerful Voice in America: How Candidates and Voters Speak
to Each Other Through the Media" organized by Illinois Campaign for
Political Reform.  Workshop's Thom Clark will moderate a panel which
includes In These Times' Salim Muwakkil and media experts. Learn more at
http://www.ilcampaign.org/MediaConf.asp.

>> DEVELOP & SHARPEN YOUR MESSAGE ­ November 17 <<

Communicating what you're doing quickly and convincingly helps further your
organization's mission and bottom line. With Valerie Denney, learn to
develop messages that work. Lack of clarity and jargon will be covered as
participants develop a "key message" and focus on a given audience,
research their values and concerns, determine the best way to reach that
audience, and put the whole thing together to craft messages that move
people to action. Space is still available for this workshop for volunteers
and staff of non-profits. Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register.
This is the last workshop for the season. Next workshops start in January.

>> CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS & THE MEDIA ­ November 17 <<

Being prepared for a crisis is an essential for anyone doing media
relations. Crafting the right message during crisis times and clearly
communicating that message can make or break an organization's reputation
and image in the public eye.  The Workshop and Black Public Relations
Society invite you to a panel discussion about how to plan and anticipate
communication needs during a crisis, train a team to be ready during a
crisis with news releases, fact sheets, talking points, manage both the
media and the message. Panelists will include Chicago Sun-Times Mary
Mitchell, Alderman Shirley Coleman, Chicago 911 Center publicist Monique
Bond, publicist Jerald Wilson; community affairs talk show host Dennis
Snipe will moderate.  When: Thursday, November 17 from 6-8 p.m. Where:
Columbia College, Hokin Hall, 623 S. Wabash, Chicago.  Cost: $5-10,
includes refreshments. For more information, call BPRS'Paul Davis at
708-204-7225.

>>THINK VISUALLY: NEW FOR 2006 MEDIA GUIDE <<

"Studies of photographs in newspapers have always shown that stories
accompanied by photographs are far more likely to be read than stories that
do not have a photograph", says Chicago Tribune photojournalist Alex Garcia
in "Think Visually Keep It Real, Be Patient", one of the new articles
featured in the 2006 Getting On the Air & Into Print print and digital
media guide.  In the article, Garcia offers clues to navigating the photo
desk and nature of the various sections.

More about the guide is at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

Publicity Club of Chicago current members will receive their free print
guides in December.  To become or renew your membership, go to
http://www.publicity.org/membership.htm.

Meet Journalists . . .

>> REPORTERS ON THE RECORD ­ November 7 <<

Who is qualified to tell the African  American story?  Can--and
should--black writers define the challenges of their race?  Award-winning
journalists and authors discuss their craft with columnist and professor
Laura S. Washington; they include:
- Chris Benson, former editor and writer for Ebony magazine, and co-author
with Mamie Till-Mobley of "Death of Innocence: The Story of a Hate crime
that Changed America."
- Yolanda Joe, former news writer for CBS-TV, and best-selling author of
"He Say, She Say" and other novels
- David Thigpen, correspondent for Time magazine and author of  "Jam
Master Jay: the Heart of Hip Hop
- Rita Whack, Emmy Award winning independent television, contributor to
Chicago Public Radio and author of "Meant to Be."
When: Monday, November. 7 from 6-8 p.m.. Where: DePaul University, Schmitt
Academic Center, Room 154, 2320 North Kenmore Avenue, Chicago. Learn more
at http://condor.depaul.edu/~humctr/events/index.html#fall05.

>> GREET THE PRESS <<

The public is invited to join Chicago Tribune columnists Mary Schmich, Eric
Zorn and others for any of a series of discussions about this year's news:
Sox World Series sweep, family values, celebrity reporting, blogging, or
the disasters. Each event will also feature a meet-and-greet reception with
refreshments, as well as a silent auction featuring historical front pages
and photographs.  When: November 14-18 from 6:30­8:30 p.m. Where: Chicago
Tribune Freedom Center, 777 W. Chicago Avenue, Chicago. Cost: $25 to
benefit United Way Metro Chicago. Learn more at
https://www.signmeup.com/site/reg/register.aspx?fid=TK2VLK7.

>> ALEX KOTLOWITZ & NEVER A CITY SO REAL ­ November 28 <<

Terkel award-winning journalist, author and "storyteller" will read from
and discuss his most recent book "Never A City So Real" at the Des Plaines
Public Library, 1501 Ellinwood, Des Plaines, IL, from 7-8:30 p.m. on
Monday, November 28. (Registration is required via
http://tinyurl.com/amw3e.) Kotlowitz thinks of himself as "a teller of true
stories"; learn more about him at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=359.

Community Media Workshop is a non-profit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other non-profits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.