[Imc-newsroom] Drug Confusion/Vital Sources/Sharpen Your Message/Book Bash

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Fri Nov 11 11:27:54 CST 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ November 11, 2005
 On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21. . .

>> SENIOR DRUG PLAN CONFUSION <<
featured Saturday, November 12, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

President Bush's new Medicare prescription drug plan is puzzling seniors.
Steve Pittman of the Illinois Alliance for Retired Americans and Sydney
Bild, M.D. a longtime leader with Metro Seniors in Action discuss the
variables and viability of the new plan with host Thom Clark.

Recently Asked Question . . .

>> HOW DOES THE MEDIA GUIDE "VITAL SOURCES" DIFFER FROM "GETTING ON THE AIR
& INTO PRINT"? <<

Released this month, Independent Press Association-Chicago's 84-page media
guide, "Vital Sources", offers information on approximately 200 of
Chicago's ethnic, community and independent publications helpful to
advertisers, media, civic leaders and nonprofit groups aiming to get in
touch with audiences they may not be able to reach through the mainstream
media. To order "Vital Sources", download an order form from
http://www.indypress.org/site/chicago/NMG-Orderform.pdf.

"Getting On The Air & Into Print" is especially for non-profits and others
promoting news that matters. To learn more about and order the Workshop's
280+ page guide featuring information for 600+ news outlets and 3,500+
journalists available in print and digital formats, go to
http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

(Publicity Club of Chicago current members will receive their print guide
in December.  To become or renew your membership, go to
http://www.publicity.org/membership.htm.)

>> MEDIA RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATION IN THE AFTERMATH OF KATRINA <<

Last month the Progressive Communicators Network with the Workshop's Thom
Clark organized a tele-briefing for communicators focusing on framing,
message development, making links across issues and geography, and media
goals in the on-going tragedy of Katrina's aftermath.  A summary of the
discussion and an evolving list of media contacts who are covering and
following Katrina-related news can be found at http://tinyurl.com/ch2oz .

Up next at the Workshop . . .

>> PHIL PONCE AT WORKSHOP FRIEND-RAISER - November 13 <<

Community Media  Workshop invites you to discuss the state of public
broadcasting and the increasing influence of the Latino community in
Chicago with Phil Ponce of WTTW Channel 11 at a friend-raiser house party
at the home of Workshop board member Nicholas Delgado.  When: Sunday,
November 13 from 4-6 p.m.  Where: 1000 W. 15th St., Chicago.  RSVP to
Jennifer Layne at 312-344-6402.

>> CANDIDATES, VOTERS & THE MEDIA ­ November 15 <<

Carol Marin and Newton Minow will be featured at a half-day conference
titled "The Most Powerful Voice in America: How Candidates and Voters Speak
to Each Other Through the Media" organized by Illinois Campaign for
Political Reform.  Workshop's Thom Clark will moderate a panel which
includes In These Times' Salim Muwakkil and media experts. Learn more at
http://www.ilcampaign.org/MediaConf.asp.

>> DEVELOP & SHARPEN YOUR MESSAGE ­ November 17 <<

Communicating what you're doing quickly and convincingly helps further your
organization's mission and bottom line. With media relations veteran
Valerie Denney, learn to develop messages that work. Lack of clarity and
jargon will be covered as participants develop a "key message" and focus on
a given audience, research their values and concerns, determine the best
way to reach that audience, and put the whole thing together to craft
messages that move people to action. Space is still available for this
workshop for volunteers and staff of non-profits. Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/register

>> CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS & THE MEDIA ­ November 17 <<

Being prepared for a crisis is an essential for anyone doing media
relations. Crafting the right message during times and clearly
communicating that message can make or break an organization's reputation
and image in the public eye.  The Workshop and Black Public Relations
Society invite you to a panel discussion about how to plan and anticipate
communication needs during a crisis, train a team to be ready during a
crisis with news releases, fact sheets, talking points, manage both the
media and the message. Panelists will include Chicago Sun-Times Mary
Mitchell, Alderman Shirley Coleman, Chicago 911 Center publicist Monique
Bond, publicist Jerald Wilson; community affairs talk show host Dennis
Snipe will moderate.  When: Thursday, November 17 from 6-8 p.m. Where:
Columbia College, Hokin Hall, 623 S. Wabash, Chicago.  Cost: $5-10,
includes refreshments. For more information, call Paul Davis at
708-204-7225.

Meet Journalists . . .

>> GREET THE PRESS ­ November 14-18 <<

The public is invited to join Chicago Tribune columnists Mary Schmich, Eric
Zorn and others for any of a series of discussions about this year's news:
Sox World Series sweep, family values, celebrity reporting, blogging, or
the disasters. Each event will also feature a meet-and-greet reception with
refreshments, as well as a silent auction featuring historical front pages
and photographs.  When: November 14-18 from 6:30 ­ 8:30 p.m. Where: Chicago
Tribune Freedom Center, 777 W. Chicago Avenue, Chicago. Cost: $25 to
benefit United Way Metro Chicago. Learn more at
https://www.signmeup.com/site/reg/register.aspx?fid=TK2VLK7.

>> CHICAGO HEADLINE CLUB'S FIRST EVER HOLIDAY BOOK BASH ­ November 17 <<

Chicago Tribune's Jon Anderson and Rick Kogan and 28 other journalist
authors will be on hand to meet, mingle and sign their books all to support
Chicago Headline Club Foundation's journalism literacy, scholarship and
internship programs.  When: Thursday, November 17, 2005 from 6-9 p.m
Where: Kendall College, 900 N. Branch St., Chicago. Cost: $55-75 includes a
drink, appetizer and dessert buffet, plus cooking demos by Rick Bayless and
the School of Culinary Arts. Learn more at http://www.holidaybookbash.org.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards...which will
be April 6, 2006, by the way.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.