[Imc-newsroom] This Month at Community Media Workshop

Community Media Workshop Community_Media_Workshop at mail.vresp.com
Wed Oct 5 12:39:41 CDT 2005

This Month at Community Media Workshop

October 2005

Thursday/October 9 - NEW: Framing and Social Policy Change
This week we launch our new workshop -- Framing and Social Policy Change.
>From 9 a.m. - noon, workshop participants will discuss how to communicate
progressive issues given the conservative "framing terrain." They will
debate whether there are "wrong" words or things we shouldn't say, and
more importantly, consider how to forge a shared language with shared
meanings that reinforces common values.

Makani Themba-Nixon, Executive Director of The Praxis Project, a nonprofit
organization helping communities use media and policy advocacy to advance
health equity and justice, will lead the workshop.

Some space is still available for this workshop. Call us at 312-344-6400 if
you have questions.

Register online now at http://www.newstips.org/register to reserve your
spot.
http://r.vresp.com/?CommunityMediaWorksh/404f36fd45/414060/343ba6f9f5/fd8ed20

Tuesday/October 11 - Power Pitching: The Phone Call Worth 1000 Words
"For seven years I was getting SEIU Local 73 into the Chicago media, I had
much more success using the phone than the fax machine," says trainer
Suzan Erem. "I'd make the pitch, and then fax an advisory if a reporter
wanted it. It saved us all a lot of time -- and it worked."  With Suzan,
participants will practice and learn how to make that call — and put a
newsy edge on your stories from Suzan Erem, a seasoned pro in progressive
media relations. Space is still available.  Call us at 312-344-6400 if you
have questions.

 Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register.
http://r.vresp.com/?CommunityMediaWorksh/e6d90b11fc/414060/343ba6f9f5/fd8ed20

Friday/October 14 - Professional Media Relations
Non-profit strategist Laurie Glenn-Gista will lead this intensive,
five-week course specifically for nonprofit communicators. Each
participant plans a media campaign around one of their own stories while
learning basic public relations skills. They will learn develop a a media
strategy, pitch stories to journalists, plan media events and handle a
broadcast interview. Working journalists will participate in many of the
sessions.

Attendance limited to 25, but space is still available for this workshop.
Call us at 312-344-6400 if you have questions.

Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register.
http://r.vresp.com/?CommunityMediaWorksh/138db6962c/414060/343ba6f9f5/fd8ed20

Friday/October 14 - Why Wal-Mart? Win or Whine?
Community Media Workshop's Thom Clark will lead a lively panel discussion
between political, union and community leaders on the pros and cons of
Wal-Mart’s expansion into Chicago.

Join the discussion on Friday, October 14, 2005, 8:30 – 10 a.m. at UNITE
Hall, 333 S. Ashland, Chicago.

Panelists include Paul Blank, WakeUpWalMart.com; Carol Ronen, State Senator
for the 7th District; Howard Brookins, Alderman for Chicago’s 21st Ward;
and Elce Redmond,
South Austin Coalition Community Council.

Cost is $10; RSVP to S.J. Peters, ISLPA, SJPeters at ufswlocal1546.org or
800-592-3208.

This event is presented jointly with the Illinois State Labor Press
Association.

Tuesday/October 18 - NEW: Blogging for Nonprofit Communicators
Statistics show that 32 million Americans read blogs. Despite the stat that
says 62 percent of online Americans are still not sure what a blog is, the
trend is toward blogs transforming the way nonprofits communicate.

Lead by Christine Cupaiuolo, workshop participants will learn to create and
use blogs as part of a broader communication, fundraising or advocacy
strategy.  It's still early so space is still available for this workshop.
Call us at 312-344-6400 if you have questions.

 Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register.
http://r.vresp.com/?CommunityMediaWorksh/b1834e628f/414060/343ba6f9f5/fd8ed20

Tuesday/October 25 - Newsletters: Readers Writing and Grand Designs
This crash course geared toward fine tuning your organization's newsletter
through effective design and collaboration with co-workers includes tips
for non-designers and tricks for whipping the non-writers on your staff
into shape as well. National Training and Information Center's Richard
Muhammad will lead the way. Call us at 312-344-6400 if you have questions.

Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register.
http://r.vresp.com/?CommunityMediaWorksh/256c294429/414060/343ba6f9f5/fd8ed20

Wednesday/October 26 - Planning Those #?!&*~@! Special Events
Planning and managing special events takes a special creative knack, an
array of organizational skills and the patience of Job. From checklists to
"pre-cons", rehearsals to last-minute surprises, finicky keynoters to
weather surprises, Michelle Weber and Jill Stewart have seen it all and
will show participants the ropes. Call us at 312-344-6400 if you have
questions.

 Learn more at http://www.newstips.org/register.
http://r.vresp.com/?CommunityMediaWorksh/853720dfef/414060/343ba6f9f5/fd8ed20

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists and
media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital work in their
community connect with the media. We provide workshops, an annual
conference, awards and recognition for journalists, a journalists'
tipsheet, briefing papers, sources, and a media guide.

If you no longer wish to receive email from us, break our hearts and reply
to this message with "Opt-Out" in the subject line or simply click on the
following link:http://unsub.vresp.com/u.html?6147c2ca2c/343ba6f9f5/fd8ed20

This message was sent by Community Media Workshop using
VerticalResponse's iBuilder (R)

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60605

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy:
http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html