[Imc-newsroom] Katrina Briefing/Blogging/CAN TV/NPO PR/Using Radio

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Thu Oct 13 20:48:28 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ October 14, 2005

>> TELE-BRIEFING FOR COMMUNICATORS IN THE AFTERMATH OF KATRINA <<

The Workshop's Thom Clark with Allison Conyers, ACORN, Jane Wholey, Esopus
Creek Communications, Sangita Nayak, Praxis Project; Jen Soriano, Youth
Media Council; Holly Minch, Spin Project; Carolyn Cushing, Progressive
Communicators Network; Ludovic Blain of Demos will be leading a
tele-briefing for communicators focusing on framing, message development,
making links across issues and geography, and media goals in the on-going
tragedy of Katrina's aftermath Friday afternoon. Organized by the
Progressive Communicators Network, a summary of the discussion will be
posted next week on www.spiritinaction.net.

If you receive this late reminder before 10 a.m.  Friday, you can still
listen in by replying to carolyn at spiritinaction.net  who will send you the
dial in and logistical information.  The only cost for the call will be
your long distance charges for dialing in. Send her the following
information: Name, e-mail, phone, organization affiliation, full address,
job title/description of communications role, number of years doing
progressive communications, questions for presenters.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21. . .

>> CHICAGO'S DISASTER PREP <<
featured Saturday, October 15, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Sara Alexander, Assistant Director of the Office of Emergency Management &
Communications for the City of Chicago and Martha Meegan, Columbia College
Chicago's security chief will discuss Chicago's preparedness for the
unexpected in this post 911 and Katrina era with host Thom Clark.

Up next at the Workshop . . .

>> New: BLOGGING FOR NONPROFIT COMMUNICATORS - October 18, 2005 <<

The trend is toward blogs transforming the way
non-profits communicate. What can blogging do for you?
Find out at this workshop and learn to create a blog
as part of your broader communication, fundraising or
advocacy strategy.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=65

>> Panel discussion: NONPROFIT PR ­ October 20, 2005 <<

The Chicago Chapter of the Black Public Relations Society invites you to a
panel discussion about how to become an expert go-to source for a reporter,
strategies for developing pitch angles, how to build upon the resources and
relationships you already have to get coverage, impact of the Internet for
the nonprofit communications plan, creating tools that appeal to the media.
How much: $5 for members and Columbia students, $10 for non-members.  When:
Thursday, October 20, 6 ­ 8 p.m. . Where: Community Media Workshop, 623 S.
Wabash, #201, Chicago.

>> USING RADIO: NEW FOR 2006 MEDIA GUIDE <<

"The easier you make it for the station to fit your information into their
format, the easier you will find it to get your person/information on the
station", says Jeff Bierig in "The Key to Radio: Listen", one of the new
articles featured in the 2006 Getting On the Air & Into Print print and
digital media guide.

More about the guide is at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

Publicity Club of Chicago current members will receive their free print
guides in December.  To become or renew your membership, go to
http://www.publicity.org/membership.htm.

Later this month on Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21. . .

>> WIFI FOR THE GULF COAST <<
featured Saturday, October 22, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Just back from the Gulf Coast, wireless internet experts Paul Smith, Center
for Neighborhood Technology, and Rogers Wilson III, Wireless Community
Network, discuss with host Thom Clark their work helping connect evacuees
with family and emergency services in the hurricane-devastated region.

More about Chicago wireless activists aiding Louisiana on Newstips:
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=526&topic=

Later this month at the Workshop . . .

>> NEWSLETTERS: READERS, WRITING AND GRAND DESIGNS - October 25, 2005 <<

This is a crash course geared toward fine tuning your
organization's newsletter through effective design and
collaboration with co-workers that includes tips for
non-designers and tricks for whipping the non-writers
on your staff into shape as well.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=66

Help close media's gender gap. . .

>> SheSOURCE.ORG LOOKING FOR WOMEN EXPERTS TO BE JOURNALISTS' SOURCES <<

SheSource.org is an online resource  providing journalists with a database
of women who are experts in their fields and experienced spokespeople.  To
learn more, see http://www.shesource.org; to recommend a woman who is an
expert in her field, click "recommend an expert".

For your information . . .

>> At Axelson: BUILDING AND LEVERAGING YOUR BRAND <<

Assess and develop a plan for enhancing your brand awareness at this
workshop at The Axelson Center at North Park Friday, October 28, 2005 from
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Registration is $150. See
http://www.northpark.edu/axelson/2005_2006_workshops.cfm  for more
information or contact Kris at 773-203-8233 or kmaldre at northpark.edu.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.