[Imc-newsroom] Disaster Prep/Framing/Wal-Mart/Brownlees

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Fri Sep 30 17:32:59 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ September 30, 2005
New on Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21. . .

>> CHICAGO'S DISASTER PREP<<
featured Saturday, October 1 and 15, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Martha Meegan, Columbia College Chicago's security chief and Sara
Alexander, Assistant Director, Office of Emergency Management &
Communications, City of Chicago Saturday will discuss Chicago's
preparedness for the unexpected in this post 911 and Katrina era with host
Thom Clark.

Up next at the Workshop . . .

>> FRAMING AND SOCIAL POLICY ­ OCTOBER 6 <<

Makani Themba Nixon kicks off Community Media Workshops' Fall series of
workshops with a new offering focusing on how to communicate progressive
issues given the conservative "framing terrain." Participants will debate
whether there are "wrong" words and, more importantly, consider how to
forge a shared language with shared meanings that reinforces common values
with the public.  There are still seats available. Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=64.

The full schedule for the Fall series of media and communication workshops
for volunteers and staff of non-profit organizations is posted at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop.

>> WHY WAL-MART?  WIN OR WHINE? ­ OCTOBER 14 <<

The public is invited to join political, community and union leaders in a
lively discussion about the pros, cons and facts about Wal-Mart's
relationship with Chicago. Panelists include State Senator Carol Ronen,
Chicago Alderman Howard Brookins, South Austin Coalition Community
Council's Elce Redmond and WakeUpWalMart.com's Paul Blank, with the
Workshop's Thom Clark moderator. Breakfast starts at 8 a.m.; discussion
goes 8:30 - 10 a.m. at UNITE Hall, 333 S. Ashland, Chicago. Co-sponsored by
the Illinois State Labor Press Association and Community Media Workshop,
the cost is $10. Contact S.J. Peters at SJPeters at ufswlocal1546.org or
800-592-3208 for more details and to sign up.
A flyer for this events is posted at
http://www.newstips.org/WalmartOctober14.pdf.

Newstips recent piece offers some insight into this issue facing Chicago:
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=506

>> MEDIA GUIDE 2006 COMES IN TODAY <<

The printer of the Workshop's media guide book, "Getting On The Air & Into
Print" says we'll be seeing media guide delivered to us today.  Subscribers
who've ordered the book only can expect to have their books in hand next
week. More about the digital guide on CD-Rom soon.

More about the guide is at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

Publicity Club of Chicago current members receive their free print guides
in December.  To renew your membership, go to
http://www.publicity.org/membership.htm.

For your information . . .

Friday, October 7, 2005

Join the Chicago Headline Club in honoring five of Chicago's most respected
journalists: Chicago Sun-Times photojournalist Bob Black, theater critic
Richard Christiansen, Chicago Tribune reporter William Mullen, CBS2
investigative reporter Pam Zekman, and City News Bureau managing editor
Paul Zimbrakos. Ellis Cose, author, columnist and contributing editor for
Newsweek magazine will be this year's keynote speaker. For details and
tickets to the dinner, see
http://www.headlineclub.org/mc/community/eventdetails.do?eventId=63264.

>>Just released: ARABS OF CHICAGOLAND<<

Veteran journalist Ray Hanania's new book offers a look at the history of
Chicago's Arab/Muslim community from their arrival and settlement at Hull
House in the mid 19th Century to their growth and activism in the city
today. Hanania is one of the only professional Arab American syndicated
columnists in the country.  There's more about Ray at
http://www.Hanania.com.

>>Recently posted: STYLEBOOK SUPPLEMENT ON LGBT TERMINOLOGY<<

Last weekend at its convention held in Chicago, the National Lesbian & Gay
Journalists Association released its new stylebook designed to complement
the prose stylebook. It offers definitions of common words and term in
English and Spanish, plus a list of national and international
organizations serving the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender
communiies. The 24-page book can be downloaded at
http://www.nlgja.org/pubs/style.html.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.