[Imc-newsroom] June 7 Conference Workshops

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Thu Apr 27 16:30:24 CDT 2006

Dear ,

Community Media Workshop announces its summer schedule of workshops and
invites you or anyone you know doing media relations and communication work
to polish their skills at any of these training sessions happening
Wednesday, June 7, kicking off Making Media Connections 2006 conference.

This schedule includes favorites like "Story Power" and "SPIN 101 Media
Boot Camp", as well as new classes like "Building a Strong Online
Community" and "Mejorar Sus Comunicados De Prensa".

Best,

Karen Kring
Community Media Workshop
karen at newstips.org

>Building a Strong Online Community ($195, includes lunch)
10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Led by: Marnie Webb, Vice President of Knowledge Services, CompuMentor (San
Francisco)

The session will explore how nonprofits are creating networks--of
information, of stories, of people-with online community-building tools.
How can you share the Web sites you use in your work with colleagues? What
are the best ways to extend your work in the real world on-line? Will the
people you work with see it, or just funders and peers at other nonprofits?
Beyond discussing how to project your own work onto the Web in appropriate
and useful ways, the session will focus on using the Web to 'pull' relevant
information to you. Among the concrete takeaways from the session will be
the opportunity to create a search tool for gathering targeted news that's
relevant to your work through RSS feeds.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=70

>SPIN 101: Media Boot Camp ($195, includes lunch)
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Led by: Rosi Reyes, Communications Strategist, SPIN Project (San Francisco)

Organizers and activists: learn to make your voice heard, get your message
communicated, and your story told in a fun, interactive workshop that
features role-playing, writing assignments, and practicing 'sound bites' on
camera. Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=57

>Story Power ($195, includes lunch)
10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Led by: Susan O'Halloran, veteran storyteller, trainer andd writer

Use stories to win allies, motivate your members and turn strangers
(including the press) into supporters. What is your organization's story?
Information and statistics are not enough. Be noticed and remembered. Set
your organization apart from the rest. This workshop is for communicators
who are looking for innovative and effective ways to describe their work.
Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=30

>The Art of the News Conference ($95)
10 a.m. - Noon
Led by: Valerie Denney, Valerie Denney Communications

What are the successful elements of a news conference? How far out from the
date of the event should you plan? And what if you have to hold one at the
last minute? We can't guarantee reporters at your next news conference but
these pointers will help increase success! Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=73

>Become a Better Spokesperson: How to talk to reporters and anyone else
about your organization and issues ($95)
10 a.m. to Noon
Led by: Hope Daniels, Columbia College Chicago professor in the Radio Dept,
former press secretary to Carol Moseley Braun

How do you react when a journalist calls? Interview skills and protocols to
help prepare for the moment when someone contacts you about a possible
story will be the focus of this session, which will include the opportunity
to be videotaped and get constructive critique on how to improve
performance. Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=74

>Advanced News Release Writing: Better Releases, Alerts, and Pitch Letters
($95)
1 - 3 p.m.
Led by: Gordon Mayer, Senior Media Trainer, Community Media Workshop

For those who already write for journalists as part of their work, this
session will cover three types of written communications-the release,
advisory, and pitch letter-plus creativity tips and tricks, packaging and
reframing, and how to produce a news release fast. Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=71

>Mejorar Sus Comunicados De Prensa ($95)
1 - 3 p.m.
Led by: Karen Girolami Callam, veteran writer, communications strategist
and bilingual media relations expert.

Para las personas que escriben para periodistas como parte de su trabajo,
esta session cubrirá tres tipos de comunicados escritos-el comunicado de
prensa, los avisos, y la carta de ajusta--además de pistas de creatividad,
como "empacar" una historia, y como producir un comunicado de prensa
rápida. Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=72

Learn more about Day 2 of the conference at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=582.