[Imc-newsroom] Cruickshank, Terkel, Handling Misquotes, Media and Black Community

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Fri Feb 24 14:45:17 CST 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES -February 24, 2006
On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 19 . . .

>> NEWS, NEIGHBORHOODS & WHAT'S NEXT <<
featured Sunday, February 26, 5 p.m.

Chicago Sun-Times publisher John Cruickshank talks about the future of
local news in Chicago, newspapers surviving the internet, and news coverage
of city-hall hiring scandals and public housing in a conversation with Thom
Clark president of the Community Media Workshop at Columbia College.

This discussion is also available at www.fireontheprairie.com and soon to
be part of Chicago Public Radio's forthcoming "Chicago Amplified". Details
to come.

>> STUDS TERKEL AWARDS - April 19 <<
5-8 p.m. Wednesday, April 19
The Arts Club of Chicago, 201 E. Ontario, Chicago.

Presented annually, the Studs Terkel Awards honor outstanding journalists
who use "unofficial" news sources and cover Chicago's diverse communities.
This year's awardees are Mary Johns and the editorial team of the
Residents' Journal; Mark Brown, columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times and
Renee Ferguson, reporter for WMAQ-TV. Community Media Workshop invites all
to this elegant, spirited soiree that brings together media, community and
non-profit movers and shakers. Join Studs for hors d'oeuvres, dinner, cash
bar & some special entertainment. Details are at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=558.

Recently Asked Questions . . .

>> WHAT DO I DO WHEN I'VE BEEN MISQUOTED IN THE PRESS? <<

According to strategic communications guru Laurie Glenn-Gista: "Always
remember when you are doing a story that this is just one battle in the war
of ideas.  Don't pick a short-term fight with a reporter and lose the
opportunity to build a long-term and valuable relationship.  Remember, they
have the pen, the camera, and recorder.  Try and take the negative and
build it into a positive opportunity to develop an understanding between
you and the reporter for future stories.".

To learn more from Laurie Glenn-Gista, consider taking her workshop --
Creating a Strategic Communications Plan - March 31.  Details are at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=54.

>> CAN INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE NOT ON STAFF WITH A NONPROFIT COME TO YOUR
WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENCE? <<

Yes and no. Volunteers with a nonprofit organization are encouraged to
participate in our spring and summer workshops, too.  Information about our
workshop is at http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop.

Because our job is to train nonprofit communicators, which we are
subsidized by local and national foundations to do, the content of our
workshops are designed to serve this core constituency specifically.
However, we can accommodate staff from public relations firms, businesses,
and others unaffiliated with a nonprofit in some workshops, if we have
space.  To be put on the wait list, contact senior media trainer Gordon
Mayer at 312-344-7722.

Where the journalists are . . .

>> BUILDING BRIDGES: THE CHICAGO MEDIA AND THE BLACK COMMUNITY<<
Noon, Monday, February 27
Gage Gallery, 18 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, first floor

Roosevelt University's student chapter of Society for Professional
Journalists presents this free discussion and brown bag lunch, featuring
ALDEN LOURY, senior editor for the Chicago Reporter, as moderator; ROLAND
MARTIN, executive editor of the Chicago Defender; JONHATHAN BRIGGS, metro
reporter for the Chicago Tribune; BYRON HARLAN, anchor at FOX News Chicago;
KAREN JORDAN, anchor at WLS News Chicago, and Rev. WALTER GILLESPIE JR., a
south side Chicago pastor and youth center director. Free and open to the
public.

>> THE EDITORIAL PAGE AND ITS RELEVANCE TO THE POLITICAL PROCESS <<
7:30 a.m. Tuesday, February 28
Union League Club, 65 W. Jackson Blvd, Chicago

This panel discussion kicks off a new civic affairs forum, entitled
"Breakfast at 65West." Roosevelt University's PAUL GREEN will engage editorial
page leaders in a discussion of how their respective publications influence
the views of voters and the public at large. Expected are R. BRUCE DOLD of
the Chicago Tribune, STEVE HUNTLEY of the Chicago Sun-Times, DAVE BEERY of
the Daily Herald, and ED KOZIARSKI of the Daily Southtown. Cost: $20.
Register at www.65west.org

>> THE PARTY'S OVER, THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES: COVERING HURRICANE KATRINA <<
5:45 p.m. Tuesday, February 28
Columbia College, Room C-219, 33 E. Congress Pkwy., Chicago

The Chicago chapter of the Association for Women Journalists hosts National
Public Radio's CHERYL CORLEY, who will reflect on the challenges of
reporting on Hurricane Katrina and share the insights she's gained. Cost:
$10 for non-AWJ members. RSVP at www.awjchicago.org.

>> WOMEN, ACTION & THE MEDIA: MAKING NOISE, MAKING CHANGE <<
March 31 - April 2
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA

Now in its third year, progressive journalists, authors, activists,
bloggers, students, and fed-up TV-viewers come together near Boston to
share skills, trade information, exchange strategies, and inform and
inspire one another. More about it at
http://www.centerfornewwords.org/wam.html.

At newstips.org . . .

>> ORDER A MEDIA GUIDE >>
http://www.newstips.org/cart

The Workshop's 2006 media guide, "Getting On The Air & Into Print" is more
than a directory. The media guide provides information for more than 3,500
journalists and 700 outlets, as well as advice on developing strong
relationships with journalists, media plan worksheets and checklists, and a
list of freelance journalists, photojournalists and editors.

>> CREATE A PRESS RELEASE <<
http://www.newstips.org/forms/create_a_release.php

Try our automated press release creator.  It guides you through the what,
where, when and other the elements needed to create a complete press
release.

>> LEARN ADVANCED PRESS RELEASE-OLOGY <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips+Sub&main_id=14

David M. Freedman, a Chicago-based freelance writer, editor, and media
relations consultant offers advice on how to create press releases that get
results and win respect of journalists.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards...that will
be April 19, 2006, by the way.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.