[Imc-newsroom] Power of Radio/Become Your Own Publicist/Tim Black/Media Guide Sale

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Fri Jul 7 12:35:15 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - July 7, 2006
In case you missed Making Media Connections. . .

>> THE POWER OF RADIO <<
featured Sunday, July 9, 7 p.m. on WBEZ 91.5, WBEW 89.5, and WBEQ 90.7
and
Sunday, July 9, 5 p.m. and Monday, July 10, Noon on CAN TV 19

Radio news and talk is more vital than ever. This year saw radio disc
jockeys mobilize more than 1 million immigrant-rights advocates across the
country, providing forums where everyone from neighborhood folks to former
President Bill Clinton can debate local and national issues, and serve as a
lifeline in emergencies like Hurricane Katrina. Recorded on June 8 during
the public roundtable discussion ending our Making Media Connections
conference, WGN's Wes Bleed, Chicago Public Radio's Torey Malatia, WGCI's
Art Porter, WRTO's Javier Salas discuss the state of news, public affairs
and talk radio with moderator Thom Clark.

Teleseminar with Thom Clark . . .

>> BECOME YOUR OWN PUBLICIST - July 27 <<

Ragan Communications and Community Media Workshop invite you to attend this
teleseminar for nonprofit organizations: Become your own publicist: Build
your media strategy with these five steps. Although media relations experts
can help promote an organization, budget realities often force nonprofit
communicators to become their own best publicists. Worry not. For
nonprofits, this "challenge" can present real opportunity, since most
reporters prefer to talk directly to a source. In this must-attend
90-minute teleseminar, presenter Thom Clark will define media strategy for
the nonprofit organization. Participants will learn five key components to
build a strategy that gets a story told, hear about news sources that got
stories placed on a shoestring budget, and discover how to hook a story on
someone else's news peg.
When: July 27, 2006, 4-5:30 CST
Where: Wherever you prefer
Register or learn more at www.ragan.com/ects-072706.
Call 800.493.4867 to register-mention your Preferred Customer Code TEP2A
for special $179 pricing.
Can't attend the teleseminar on the scheduled date?  To order CD recording
of this teleseminar, visit www.ragan.com/ects-072706 for details.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

>> BETWEEN THE SHEETS AND UNDER THE BED: A LOOK AT HOTEL WORKERS' RIGHTS <<
featured Saturday, July 8, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Hotel workers have a 51 percent higher rate of disabling injuries than
other service sector workers. With major union contracts under negotiation
this summer at Chicago's hotels, the industry has unleashed a competitive
"amenity race" which has piled on the workload, especially heavy mattresses
and luxury linens, even while instituting a dramatic reduction in
staff-to-room ratios. Linda Sanchez with UNITE Here and  hotel workers
Gertrude Johnson and Ruben Sanchez join host Thom Clark for a conversation
about workers' rights in a booming tourist town.

>> TIMUEL BLACK <<
featured Saturday, July 15, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Historian and long-time South Side political activist Timuel Black
discusses segregation, the civil rights movement and issues of race, class
and politics in these times.

Learn of other CAN TV shows at http://www.cantv.org/commpartschedule.htm .

Hear "The Power of Radio" and other Chicago discussions online . . .

>> CHICAGO AMPLIFIED <<

Chicago Public Radio's Chicago Amplified is a web audio archive filled with
diverse lectures, conversations, panel discussions, forums, and other
educational events organized by Chicago Public Library, Field Museum,
Nextbook, Young Chicago Authors, Illinois Humanities Council, Chicago State
University, Chicago History Museum and the Workshop.  To hear The Power of
Radio roundtable online or entertaining remarks by Studs Terkel Award
winners Mark Brown, Renee Ferguson, the Residents' Journal staff and Studs
himself from April's celebration of excellence in journalism or Sun-Times
John Cruickshank's comments on covering local news recorded in January, go
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/programs/amplified/amplified_audio.asp#cmw
 .

>> "GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT 2006" SUMMER SALE <<

Prices are at rock bottom for those ordering the Workshop's "Getting On The
Air & Into Print 2006" media guide online with check or credit card.
Nonprofits pay $90 to get both the digital and print version; others pay
$170.  Order at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

Tis the season we update the guide in preparation for publication of the
2007 edition in the fall.  Media is constantly changing.  If you have
updates or other suggestions for the next edition of the guide, contact
Karen Kring at karen at newstips.org.

Upcoming learning opportunities and events around Chicago and beyond. . .

>> SPIN ACADEMY - deadline July 14 <<

The 2006 SPIN Academy will be held August 16-20, 2006 in Petaluma, CA at
the Walker Creek Ranch. This annual event brings together more than sixty
activists from across the country for five days of intensive communications
training with the assistance of more than thirty trainers and facilitators.
Transportion will be your major expense since the $200-$300 registration
fee covers training, meals and accommodations for 5 days.  See
https://secure.spinproject.org/article.php?id=178 for details.

>> COMMUNITY ORGANIZING WORKSHOP - July 26-28 <<_
Offered by Community Renewal Society, this three-day workshop's provoking
sessions that will challenge participants' presumptions and priorities, and
inspire reflection on being a community builder. Participants will learn to
be more effective in addressing community social justice issues and what
the possibilities really are in recognizing and living one's "call" to "do
justice" as individuals and as a community.
When: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Friday, July 26, 27, 28_Where: Community Renewal
Society offices, 332 S. Michigan Ave. #500, Chicago.  _Registration fee is
$150 per person for all 3 days. No meals included.  Call Sonya Willis at
CRS, 312-427-4830 to register.  Details are at
http://www.crs-ucc.org/get_involved/organization_training.html .

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring.   She appreciates feedback,
karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.