[Imc-newsroom] Become Your Own Publicist/Conference Notes/Wanna be Alderman?/Buy the Guide

Community Media Workshop eNotes karen at newstips.org
Wed Jul 19 17:19:54 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - July 19, 2006
Teleseminar with Thom Clark . . .

>> BECOME YOUR OWN PUBLICIST - July 27 <<

Ragan Communications and Community Media Workshop invite you to attend this
teleseminar for nonprofit organizations: Become your own publicist: Build
your media strategy with these five steps. Although media relations experts
can help promote an organization, budget realities often force nonprofit
communicators to become their own best publicists. Worry not. For
nonprofits, this "challenge" can present real opportunity, since most
reporters prefer to talk directly to a source. In this must-attend
90-minute teleseminar, presenter Thom Clark will define media strategy for
the nonprofit organization. Participants will learn five key components to
build a strategy that gets a story told, hear about news sources that got
stories placed on a shoestring budget, and discover how to hook a story on
someone else's news peg.
When: July 27. 4-5:30 CST
Where: Wherever you prefer
Register or learn more at www.ragan.com/ects-072706.
Call 800-493-4867 to register-mention your Preferred Customer Code TEP2A
for special $179 pricing.
Can't attend the teleseminar on the scheduled date?  To order CD recording
of this teleseminar, visit www.ragan.com/ects-072706 for details.

In case you missed Making Media Connections. . .

>> COMMUNITY AND MEDIA CONNECTED <<

Making Media Connections 2006 was one of the best ever, according to the
participants and presenters. More than 300 community leaders, nonprofit
staff and board members, mainstream and independent journalists,
publishers, media experts and some very engaged members of the general
public shared tips and techniques helpful in getting our communities'
important stories told.

Chicago Tribune's Lou Carlozo: "I love doing stuff like this and the
Community Media Workshop did a very effective job. I already have a story
cooking thanks to the conference."

Handouts, notes from some session, pictures, Mark Suppelsa's video clip and
other material is available at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=About+CMW&main_id=633.

>> THE POWER OF RADIO <<
featured on Chicago Amplified:
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/programs/amplified/amplified_audio.asp#cmw

Recorded on June 8 during the public roundtable discussion ending our
Making Media Connections conference, WGN's Wes Bleed, Chicago Public
Radio's Torey Malatia, WGCI's Art Porter, WRTO's Javier Salas discuss the
state of news, public affairs and talk radio with moderator Thom Clark.

On WNUA 95.5 . . .

>> WANNA BE AN ALDERMAN? <<
featured Sunday, July 23, 6:30 a.m. on "City Voices" on WNUA 95.5 FM

A campaign to elect more progressive alderman to the City Council is under
way. Workshops for Chicago aldermanic candidates, campaign workers,
community groups and activists provide information on campaign planning,
fundraising, communications, and more for those who plan on participating
in the February 2007 aldermanic race. SEIU (Service Employees International
Union, Illinois Council) is at the heart of the effort. SEIU's James
Muhammad and Chicago Coalition for the Homeless' Ed Shurna discuss the
campaign and whether hiring scandals at City Hall may change the mayor's
control of legislation, with host Thom Clark.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

>>  HEALTH AND ART <<
featured Saturday, July 22, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

A fifteen year institution serving Chicago's Austin community, the Westside
Health Authority uses the capacity of local people to improve the health
and well-being of community residents. Their next step: To create a
cultural arts youth center. Host Thom Clark discusses the history and
dreams of the  Westside Health Authority with longtime leader Jacqueline
Reed, CEO & Founder, Yvonne Magee of the Austin Weed and Seed Program, and
Donyei Ebenezer, a youth organizer at Westside Health Authority.

>> THINK VISUALLY, KEEP IT REAL, BE PATIENT <<

Studies of photographs in newspapers have always shown that stories
accompanied by photographs are far more likely to be read than stories that
do not have a photograph. Also, stories that have photographs usually get
better placement on the page than stories that don't. It's imperative,
therefore, to think visually, says Chicago Tribune photographer Alex Garcia
in this article he wrote for the Workshop's media guide, "Getting on the
Air & Into Print".  The whole article is online at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips+Sub&main_id=637.

>> WHAT CHANGES SHOULD WE MAKE TO THE MEDIA GUIDE? <<

Tis the season we update the media guide in preparation for publishing the
2007 edition.  Media is constantly changing.  If you have updates or other
suggestions for the next edition of the guide, contact Karen Kring at
karen at newstips.org.

>> "GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT" SUMMER SALE <<

Prices are at rock bottom* for those ordering the Workshop's "Getting On
The Air & Into Print 2006" media guide online.  Nonprofits pay $90 to get
both the digital and print version. (Book and CD sold separately are $50
and $40 respectively.)

Order while supplies last at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

*The regular price for the media guides will increase when 2007 edition
comes out.

>>  RUN AN AD IN THE MEDIA GUIDE - deadline August 8 <<

Community Media Workshop's media guide "Getting on the Air & Into Print"
will be used by more than 1500 media professionals working for a variety of
companies: large and small non-profit organizations, large and small public
relations and advertising firms, in-house corporate media relations
departments and many news outlets. Your ad will be placed on one of the
section tabs, an often turned to part of the guide, and be on display for
the year or more the guide is in use.  Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Products&main_id=168.

Upcoming learning opportunities and events around Chicago and beyond. . .

>> YOU DECIDE WHAT'S ON TV: CAN TV ORIENTATION - July 26 <<

Individuals and nonprofits produce programs on CAN TV, Chicago public
access television, reaching a million potential viewers. Learn how to
produce your own show on CAN TV in a free one-hour orientation session.
This first step to video production is held twice every month and is open
to all Chicago residents. Reservations are not required.
When: 5:45 p.m., Wednesday, July 26
Where:  CAN TV,  322 S. Green St. (1 block west of Halsted at Van Buren),
Chicago, IL 60607-3544
For more information: 312-738-1400, info at cantv.org, or www.cantv.org

>> COMMUNITY ORGANIZING WORKSHOP - July 26-28 <<

Offered by Community Renewal Society, this three-day workshop's provoking
sessions will challenge participants' presumptions and priorities, and
inspire reflection on being a community builder. Participants will learn to
be more effective in addressing community social justice issues and what
the possibilities really are in recognizing and living one's "call" to "do
justice" as individuals and as a community.
When: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Friday, July 26, 27, 28
Where: Community Renewal Society offices, 332 S. Michigan Ave. #500,
Chicago.  _Registration fee is $150 per person for all 3 days. No meals
included.  Call Sonya Willis at CRS, 312-427-4830 to register.  Details are
at http://www.crs-ucc.org/get_involved/organization_training.html .

Share your research or benefit from others. .  .

>> ISSUE LAB <<

A new nonprofit resource is now available: IssueLab.  It exclusively
features and promotes the research work of nonprofits. If your organization
does research -- reports, surveys, studies, data sets, white papers, policy
briefs -- consider adding it to IssueLab. Registration takes two minutes,
is free, and opens the door to building greater awareness about your
findings and analysis. You can also subscribe to IssueLab mailing lists and
get info about research that interests you delivered right to your inbox.
IssueLab also offers an RSS news feed.  Learn more at
www.issuelab.com.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring.   She appreciates feedback,
karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.