[Imc-newsroom] Hotel Workers/Issue Lab/Media Guide Sale/Unseen America /Developing Capacity

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Wed Jun 21 09:53:51 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - June 21, 2006
On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

>> BETWEEN THE SHEET AND UNDER THE BED: A LOOK AT HOTEL WORKERS' RIGHTS <<
featured Saturday, June 24, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Hotel workers have a 51 percent higher rate of disabling injuries than
other service sector workers. With major union contracts under negotiation
this summer at Chicago's hotels, the industry has unleashed a competitive
"amenity race" which has piled on the workload, especially heavy mattresses
and luxury linens, even while instituting a dramatic reduction in
staff-to-room ratios. Linda Sanchez with UNITE Here and  hotel workers
Gertrude Johnson and Ruben Sanchez join host Thom Clark for a conversation
about workers' rights in a booming tourist town.

>> IRAQ: THE LOGIC OF WITHDRAWL <<
featured Sunday, June 25, 10:30 a.m.

Workshop colleague Studs Terkel, author Anthony Arnove and anti-war
activist Juan Torres discuss the U.S. occupation in Iraq with Chicago
Sun-Times columnist (and Terkel winner) Laura Washington moderating.

You can also listen to Studs at his finest at the Studs Terkel Awards via
partner Chicago Public Radio as part of Chicago Amplified:
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/programs/amplified/amplified_audio.asp#cmw
 .

>>Sunday June 25 at 6:30 a.m. on WNUA 95.5 FM "City Voices . . .

Saving school recess improves student safety and grades!
Host Thom Clark talks with two Austin community parents about Peace Pac, a
new approach to school discipline issues that keeps students in the
classroom.

New Nonprofit Resource . .  .

>> ISSUE LAB <<

A new nonprofit resource is now available on the web: IssueLab.  It
exclusively features and promotes the research work of nonprofits. If your
organization does research -- reports, surveys, studies, data sets, white
papers, policy briefs -- consider adding it to IssueLab. Registration takes
two minutes, is free, and opens the door to building greater awareness
about your findings and analysis. You can also subscribe to IssueLab
mailing lists and get info about research that interests you delivered
right to your inbox. IssueLab also offers an RSS news feed.  Learn more at
www.issuelab.com.

>> FREE NEWS RELEASE SERVICE FOR HOUSING GROUPS <<

Housing Newswire.com, a news service for the local real estate industry,
provides FREE accounts to area nonprofits, allowing them to post/distribute
news releases via their website.  This service can cost $299/year.  For
more information, see http://www.housingnewswire.com/about.php or contact
Kris Zillo at kzillo at housingnewswire.com or 773-868-4770 x 508.

>> "GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT" SUMMER SALE <<

Prices are at rock bottom for those ordering the Workshop's "Getting On The
Air & Into Print" media guide online with check or credit card.  Nonprofits
pay $90 to get both the digital and print version; others pay $170.  Order
at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

Upcoming learning opportunities and events around Chicago. . .

>> FIRST ANNUAL MIDWEST INDY MEDIA CAUCUS INFO MEETING - TONIGHT/June 21 <<

Come discuss the 1st Annual Independent Media Caucus, to take place in
Milwaukee, Wisconsin on July 6, as a part of the 2006 Midwest Social Forum.
Held this year at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee's campus, the
Midwest Social Forum is an annual gathering of progressive individuals and
organizations from the diverse communities of the Midwest and is an
outgrowth and a convergence of both the World Social Forum movement and the
annual progressive summit run by the University of Wisconsin - Madison's
Haven's Center for the Study of Social Structure and Social Change. This
year, the event is preceded by an Independent Media Caucus, an opportunity
for members of the labor, community, ethnic and independent media and
fellow-travelers to network and forge new alliances. Our goal for this
caucus is to develop the regional capacity of our media, both in terms of
our editorial capacity and the resources we are able to leverage.
> When: 5-7 p.m., Wednesday, June 21
> Where: Video Machete, 1180 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago
If you are interested in participating in the caucus, contact Gabriel
Piemonte at 773-363-0674 or gabrielpiemonte at hotmail.com. For more
information on the July 6th Midwest Social Forum, visit
www.mwsocialforum.org or contact info at mwsocialforum.org.

>> RELEASE PARTY: UNSEEN AMERICA - Friday/June 23 <<

Eight members of the Service Employees International Union spent six months
capturing the unique and unheard stories of their daily lives through
photography. Images range from a Latino motorcycle club, to a West Side
housing project, to a thriving local church, to a family-run funeral home
have resulted in an exhibition and a book "unseen america: Photos and
stories by workers. Join the artists for cocktails,  a brief panel
discussion hosted by WVON's Cliff Kelley and an opportunity to purchase
this book at a discounted price.
> When: 5-7 p.m., Friday, June 23
> Where: Hot House, 31 E. Balbo, Chicago
An exhibition of the photos continues through June 29.
More about the project is at
http://www.seiu-illinois.org/unseenamerica_exhibit.cfm.

>> MORE ALIKE THAN NOT - Sunday/June 25 <<

Workshop trainer Susan O'Halloran with Arif Choudhury will be perform their
two-person version of  this original performance piece interweaving
life-story with traditional and sacred material from Jewish, Muslim and
Catholic cultures. The performers compare perspectives on being "the other"
in an America where we live side by side. With funny, scary, challenging
and affirming stories these professional storytellers (Sue's training at
our recent Making Media Connections conference was a sold out sensation)
bring alive their distinct backgrounds and our common humanity.
For more info, see http://www.susanohalloran.com/morealike/morealike.htm.

>> DEVELOPING NONPROFIT CAPACITY FOR EFFECTIVE ADVOCACY - July 13 <<
Liz Towne, attorney trainer from the nationally recognized Alliance for
Justice, will provide participants with invaluable information about
Lobbying Rules for Nonprofits.  This session provides 501(c)(3)
organizations the opportunity to learn to what extent they can lobby so
that they can influence policy in their communities. Session topics answer,
"What types of lobbying can 501(c)(3) do?", "What is the 501(h) election?",
and "May nonprofits use private foundation or community foundation grants
to lobby?" Alliance for Justice will also be supplementing the session by
providing participants with concrete advocacy strategies they can use in
their work.
RSVP ASAP to rsvp at cfw.org or call 312-577-2801 x 229.
At www.newstips.org . . .

>> LIBRARIES WITH GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=507

Don't have time to wait for a media guide to come to you in the mail? You
can come to our offices to pick one up immediately or go to one of these
libraries listed her that carries the guide.

>> WRITING LETTERS TO THE EDITOR <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips+Sub&main_id=21

It's a respectable way to express your point of view and gain exposure in
the marketplace. Writing a letter to the editor is a great way to correct a
mistake, misquote, or distortion in a recent news story; illuminate one or
both sides of a controversy involving your issues; or comment on how
proposed regulations or policies may affect your constituents.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring.   She appreciates feedback,
karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.