[Imc-newsroom] Vital Neighborhoods/Media Quiz/TinyURL/Delivering On The Pitch/Argument is good

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Thu Mar 9 11:57:35 CST 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - March 9, 2006

>> YOUR PICK FOR GOVERNOR <<

In the upcoming Illinois gubernatorial primary election, whom do you favor?
Answer the CMW Survey at http://www.newstips.org.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

 >> CLEAN SWEEP <<
featured Saturday, March 11, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You
The built environment in successful communities works in relation to the
common space around it, and the livelihoods of the people using those
buildings and blocks. Several south side community development corporations
are looking at the bigger picture, beyond bricks and mortar, to clean
streets and employed residents.

Bernita Johnson-Gabriel of Quad Communities Development Corporation, Carlos
Nelson of Greater Auburn Gresham Development Corporation, and Jesse
Teverbaugh of Cleanslate Chicago talk about bringing new vitality to their
neighborhood business districts, with host Thom Clark.

True or false. . .

>> CHICAGO-AREA MEDIA QUIZ <<

1) Chicago Public Radio's BEN CALHOUN was recently named political
reporter.  He's still at 312-948-4810 and bcalhoun at chicagopublicradio.org.

2) ILAN BRAT recently joined the Wall Street Journal as a reporter and is
interested in "...things that fly in the face of preconceived notions",
poverty and minority-related issues. He is reachable at 312-750-4152 and
ilan.brat at wsj.com.

3) PAMELA JONES has joined WBBM-TV/Channel 2 as its NW Indiana reporter.
She's at 219-736-2696.

4) The Chicago Daily Defender's new address is 200 S. Michigan Ave., #1700,
Chicago, IL, 60604.  Phone: 312-225-2400.

5) SUSAN RICHARDSON is the Chicago Tribune's new Lake County bureau chief.

6) JEREMY MULLMAN, who covered nonprofits for Crain's Chicago Business, is
now with Advertising Age.

Answers: 1-6 are all true.
Source: "Getting On The Air & Into Print" 2006 media guide and Update

For more information about subscribing to Community Media Workshop's media
guide and updates offering information for 3500+ journalists and 700+ news
outlets in digital and/or print format, see http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

Up next at the Workshop. . .

>> DEVELOP AND SHARPEN YOUR MESSAGE - March 14 <<
Communicating what you're doing quickly and convincingly helps further your
organization's mission and bottom line. Lack of clarity and jargon will be
covered as participants develop a "key message" and focus on a given
audience, research their values and concerns, determine the best way to
reach that audience, and put the whole thing together to craft messages
that move people to action.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=45

>> DELIVERING ON THE PITCH: HOW TO PACKAGE YOUR STORY FOR TV & RADIO -
March 16 <<
Now that a broadcast news outlet has agreed to cover your story or event,
what can you do to get the most out of the opportunity? Find out to
determine and sharpen the focus or "hook" for your story and make sure
you're offering the absolute essentials--interesting people, video and
audio.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=69

>> STUDS TERKEL AWARDS - April 19 <<
Join Studs and honorary chairpersons MARY SCHMICH and ERIC ZORN for hors
d'oeuvres, drinks, dinner & some special entertainment as we celebrate the
accomplishments of some of Chicago's best journalists:  MARY JOHNS and the
editorial team of the Residents' Journal; MARK BROWN, columnist for the
Chicago Sun-Times and RENEE FERGUSON, investigative reporter for WMAQ-TV.
When: 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, April 19, 2006.
Where: The Arts Club of Chicago, 201 E. Ontario, Chicago.
Details are at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=558.

You might have noticed in the media guide the ceremonies were slated for
April 5.  The date changed to accommodate Studs' book tour schedule. He's
expected to be on The Daily Show that week to mix it up with Jon Stewart.

Did you ever wonder. . .

>> IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND USING LONG URL'S? <<

Yes. Take advantage of a free service called "TinyURL.com." Paste a long
URL into the TinyURL screen and it converts to a very small address.

To learn more internet tips and tricks, come to the Making Media
Connections conference June 7 & 8. The full schedule of timely workshops
and discussions will be available shortly.  To learn more as soon as it is
posted, send an email to cmw at newstips.org with "June Media Conference" in
the subject line.

>> FREE PASSES TO THE STUDS TERKEL AWARDS AND MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS <<

A few volunteers are needed April 19 and June 7-8 to help make the
Workshop's awards night and conference run smoothly.  Volunteers' event
fees are waived. Those volunteering have a unique opportunity to get
involved, meet some interesting people and learn a lot.  Help at
registration is what is mostly needed at the Studs Terkel Awards. For the
conference, volunteers will help with the specialized workshops, panel
discussion, registration, etc. Each volunteer is required to work during a
specific agreed upon time. Prospective event volunteers can contact
Jennifer Layne at 312-344-6402 to discuss the opportunities.

discussion will enhance your organization's ability to address he
challenges in implementing cultural competency initiatives. Panelists
include: Lisa Hampton, Senior Policy Associate, Chicago Jobs Council;
Rachel McDonald, Executive Director, Central States SER; Jacqui Lyda,
Director of Administration and Finance, Chicago Women in Trades; Kara
Wright, President, Wright Solutions, Moderator.

FREE to nonprofits' staff and board members (non-ACN consultants and others
pay $20). Free parking in lot, but check in with security desk  RSVP to
these events at rsvp at acnconsult.org. Questions, visit www.acnconsult.org or
call Eva Booker of ACN at 773-412-9263.

Co-sponsored by Blacks in Development, Latinos in Development; Asian
Americans & Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy; Chicago African Americans in
Philanthropy; Chicago Latinos in Philanthropy, this is just one in a series
of monthly brown-bag workshops sponsored byACN. Monthly, networking goes
from 11:30 a.m. to noon with program from noon to 1:30 p.m.  Next one is
April 20.

Where the journalists are . . .

>> WOMEN ROCK! <<
Saturday, March 11, 1 p.m.
Harold Washington Library Center, Video Theater-Lower Level, 400 S. State
St., Chicago

Chicago Reader's MONICA KENDRICK, Venus' AMY SCHROEDER, Music critic
JESSICA HOPPER, and DePaul professor DEENA WEINSTEIN will discuss women,
class, race and music.  Have women installed themselves so firmly into the
various roles of the music business that we don't notice them anymore? Is
talking about 'women in rock' a self-ghettoizing exercise or simply a tired
topic? From punk and metal, to hip-hop, country and electro, these experts
elucidate the roles of superstars, critics and groupies of all genders.
For more info, contact Lorna Donley at 312-747-4889 or
ldonley at chipublib.org.

>> EXPLORING RESPONSIBLE SOLUTIONS IN IRAQ <<
Sunday, March 12, 2006, 2-4 p.m.
St. Alphonsus Church, 411 N. Wheeling Rd. (1/2 mile S. of Palatine Rd.)
Prospect Hts.

Community, Media & You's THOM CLARK will moderate a discussion with Voices
for Creative Violence's Kathy Kelly, Council of Islamic Organizations of
Greater Chicago Abdul Malik Mujahid and community members about solutions
to the current problems of U.S. involvement in Iraq.  Sponsored by Families
for Peace and North Suburban Peace Initiative, contact
wrcpeaceproject at aol.com for details.

"Argument is good, ideas are vital. But you don't have to bludgeon people
with argument if you tell them the right stories."  - Mary Schmich

Mary Schmich spoke these works upon accepting her Studs Terkel Award last
year.  To read her remarks in full, see
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=588.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring; she's reachable at karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.