[Imc-newsroom] Think Visually/Understand the W's/Plan Now/Free Passes to Terkel

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Tue Mar 14 12:27:08 CST 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - March 14, 2006
Tribune journalist offers his advice . . .

"I used to work for a Ralph Nader organization in Washington D.C., and I
remember sitting at the fax machine, wondering what it was going to take to
get seemingly out-of-touch reporters to see the story that was screaming to
be told.", starts Alex Garcia, Chicago Tribune staff photographer in his
article "Think Visually, Keep It Real, Be Patient".  The full article can
be read in this year's Getting On The Air & Into Print media guide or
downloaded, along with other helpful articles, from the Ideas, Tips and
Tricks page at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=143.

Learn from colleagues. . .

>> THE FIVE W's OF PITCHING YOUR STORY TO TV AND PRINT MEDIA - March 16 <<

What is the media looking for from your expert spokesperson? How can public
relations practitioners break through the clutter of similar messages? When
is a good time to put your story in front of reporters, editors, and
writers? Why are some pitches successful and others don't even make it to
the assignment editor's desk.?  Tracey Alston, President of Danielle Ashley
Communications; Cheryl Pearson-McNeil, Vice-President of Communications and
Community Affairs at Nielsen Ratings; and Carrie Walker, News Desk Editor
at ABC-7 TV News will talk about a variety of strategies and best practices
to successfully pitch local and national media during this panel discussion
sponsored by the Black Public Relations Society.
When: 6:30 - 8 p.m., Thursday, March 16, 2006
Where: Community Media Workshop, 619 S. Wabash, 2nd Fl.
Cost: $10 for non-members; $5 for Columbia students, faculty and BPRS
members.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

 >> MEDIA ACCORDING TO MARK, MARY AND RENEE <<
featured Saturday, March 18, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You
This year's Studs Terkel Award winners -- Sun-Times page-two columnist Mark
Brown, veteran NBC 5 investigative reporter Renee Ferguson, and Mary Johns
editor-in-chief of Residents Journal -- talk about how they got into
journalism, challenges of doing local journalism these days, the difference
between newspaper and television reporting and how communities can get
their news on the air and into print, with host Thom Clark.

Meet Mark, Mary and Renee. . .

>> STUDS TERKEL AWARDS - April 19 <<
Join Studs and honorary chairpersons Mary Schmich and Eric Zorn for hors
d'oeuvres, drinks, dinner & some special entertainment as we celebrate the
accomplishments of Mary Johns, Mark Brown and Renee Ferguson.
When: 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, April 19, 2006.
Where: The Arts Club of Chicago, 201 E. Ontario, Chicago.
Details are at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=558.

You might have noticed in the media guide the ceremonies were slated for
April 5.  The date changed to accommodate Studs' book tour schedule. He's
expected to be on The Daily Show that week to mix it up with Jon Stewart.

Up next at the Workshop. . .

>> CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS - March 24 <<

Just ask Hope Daniels about her first week working for Carol Moseley
Braun...and the "pants suit story". Hope Daniels, former spokesperson for
Carol Moseley Braun, and Wynona Redmond, former spokesman for DCFS, Cook
County Hospital and CHA, now public affairs director for Dominick's, will
help you prepare a crisis communication plan that provides guidance on what
to do when, how to answer questions, and how to respond to reporters and
constituents needs.

Why take this workshop?  Because as Hope says, "It's not if a crisis
happens, but when." How you handle the media after a crisis can have a deep
effect on the future of your organization.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=40

One participant shares what she learned at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=418.

>> CREATE A STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS PLAN - March 31 <<

Getting an article on the newspaper's front page or report on TV news is
not a strategy. Why do you want news coverage? Learning to connect
organizational goals to communications strategies is the focus of this
session lead by one of Chicago's leading media strategists Laurie Glenn
Gista. Participants will walk through the process of mapping out a strategy
for their organizations, examining the value of communications tactics from
special events to media campaigns to reports and other publications, and
how to put these and other pieces in place to build a comprehensive
campaign.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=54

>> FRAMING AND SOCIAL POLICY CHANGE - April 13 <<
Framing. Another buzzword, or a useful tool?  Learn how to forge a shared
language with shared meaning that reinforces common values with your
audience. Participants will discuss how to communicate progressive issues
given the conservative "framing terrain" with veteran media trainer Thom
Clark.
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=64

>> FREE PASSES TO THE STUDS TERKEL AWARDS AND MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS  <<

A few volunteers are needed April 19 and June 7-8 to help make the
Workshop's awards night and conference run smoothly.  Volunteers' event
fees are waived. Those volunteering have a unique opportunity to get
involved, meet some interesting people and learn a lot.  Help at
registration is what is mostly needed at the Studs Terkel Awards. For the
conference, volunteers will help with the specialized workshops, panel
discussion, registration, etc. Each volunteer is required to work during a
specific agreed upon time. Prospective event volunteers can contact
Jennifer Layne at 312-344-6402 to discuss the opportunities.

>> ONE-ON-ONE COACHING FOR WORKSHOP PARTICIPANTS <<

If you're new at getting media coverage and don't have anyone to help you
learn the ropes, or if you're pretty good at it but don't have someone to
strategize with, Community Media Workshop can help. The Workshop's senior
staff offer one-on-one phone coaching to organizations who have attended
workshops or the annual conference. The staff can work with you to develop
a story, pitch it, and to whom. Coaching helps reinforce what you have
learned and to get coverage for your specific issues. Call us at
312-344-6400.

At www.newstips.org . . .

>> FREE MEDIA GUIDE SAMPLES <<

Check out the few sections of the print version of "Getting On The Air &
Into Print" made available at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=576.

>> CREATE A PRESS RELEASE <<
http://www.newstips.org/forms/create_a_release.php

Try our automated press release creator.  It guides you through the what,
where, when and other the elements needed to create a complete press
release.

>> PITCH YOUR NEWS TO NEWSTIPS <<
http://www.newstips.org/forms/suggest_newstip.php

Newstips is a journalists' tipsheet previewing community initiatives.
Newstips goes to Chicago-area journalists via email and print and the rest
of the world via www.newstips.org. Here's an easy way to pitch your news to
Newstips editor Curtis Black.

>> ADD YOUR WEBSITE'S LINK TO NEWSTIPS.ORG <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Resources+Nonprofits

Nonprofit groups with websites can link from our site to theirs. This is a
great way to help journalists find you as they work on stories about issues
that matter to you and draw more attention to your website through the
common search engines.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring; she's reachable at karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.