[Imc-newsroom] Win Allies via Powerful Storytelling/Human Rights Parade on CAN TV

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Thu May 11 11:07:17 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - May 11, 2006

>> STORY POWER - June 7 <<
Led by: Susan O'Halloran, veteran storyteller, trainer and writer

Use stories to win allies, motivate your members and turn strangers
(including the press) into supporters. What is your organization's story?
Information and statistics are not enough. Be noticed and remembered. Set
your organization apart from the rest. This workshop is for communicators
who are looking for innovative and effective ways to describe their work.
Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=30
.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

 >> MAY DAY IMMIGRANT MARCH <<
featured Saturday, May 13, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

The largest march ever in Chicago brought immigrant rights supporters into
Grant Park May 1st in a show of strength unprecedented throughout labor,
civil rights or anti-war eras.  The wave of marches nationwide was designed
to keep the pressure on elected officials in Washington, debating how to
resolve the status of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants
living in this country. What happens now?  Becky Belcore, Executive
Director of The Korean American Resource & Cultural Center and Eulissa Ruiz
of Latinos United discuss what organizers aim to accomplish with host Thom
Clark

Up next at the Workshop. . .

>> MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS 2006 - June 7 & 8 <<

Join community leaders, nonprofit communicators and board members,
journalists, publishers, and media experts to discuss getting our
communities' important stories told.  Come ready to sharpen your media
relations and communications skills at workshops and panel discussions lead
by the nation's top media relations experts; meet journalists and learn the
latest trends in nonprofit communications. Learn about the "bring a friend
for half-off" deal and more at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=582

>> THE ART OF THE NEWS CONFERENCE  - June 7 <<
Led by: Valerie Denney, Valerie Denney Communications

What are the successful elements of a news conference? How far out from the
date of the event should you plan? And what if you have to hold one at the
last minute? We can't guarantee reporters at your next news conference but
these pointers will help increase success! Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=73

Learn about other June 7 workshops at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=600.

>> BE A CURBSIDE COACH <<

Publicity Club of Chicago members actively have participated for the past
two years in one-on-one coaching at the Workshop's annual Making Media
Connections conference. This year's plan is to have the one-on-one coaching
sessions simultaneously with breakout sessions on June 8 at 9:45 -10:45
a.m., 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1:45 - 2:45 p.m. They would like to have up to
five people for each of these sessions. In exchange, volunteers can attend
breakouts, keynotes and they will provide lunch.Interested in
participating? Email Gordon Mayer, gordon at newstips.org.

Congratulations to the PCC Golden Trumpet award winners, which were
announced last week.  See http://www.publicity.org/trumpet2006.htm.

>> FREE NEWS RELEASE SERVICE FOR HOUSING GROUPS <<

Housing Newswire.com, a news service for the local real estate industry,
provides free accounts to area nonprofits, allowing them to post/distribute
news releases via their website.  This service can cost $299/year.  For
more information, see http://www.housingnewswire.com/about.php or contact
Kris Zillo at kzillo at housingnewswire.com or 773-868-4770 x 508.

>> ODE TO OUR MEDIA GUIDE <<

Have you some news stories to pitch?
Try Marin Mitchell White or Helfrich

The Workshop has the guide you need
Porterfield Grumman Washington Sneed

Ahern Corley Ferguson Dumont
Contact all the reporters you want

Workin' for outlets from near and far
Times Post Journal Star

The CD's 89 bucks, 69 for the book
Nearly 4000 journalists, take a look

See newstips.org to buy online
According to Feder a real gold mine

To learn more about  "Getting On The Air & Into Print", the Workshop's
guide featuring information for 700+ news outlets and almost 4,000
journalists available in print and digital formats, go to
http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

HOW ARE WE DOING?: Feedback is helpful. If you have some criticism, praise
or general observations to share, please bring it to Karen Kring at
karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring, karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.