[Imc-newsroom] Use the Web to Build Your Org/West Side Health/ Friends Half-Off

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Mon May 15 11:33:55 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - May 15, 2006
>> BUILDING A STRONG ONLINE COMMUNITY - June 7 <<
Led by: Marnie Webb from CompuMentor and TechSoup

Explore how nonprofits are creating networks-of information, of stories, of
people-with online community-building tools. What are the best ways to
extend your work in the real world online? We'll also focus on using the
Web to 'pull' relevant information to you. Among the concrete takeaways
from the session will be the opportunity to create a search tool for
gathering targeted news that's relevant to your work through RSS feeds.
Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=70
.

Learn about other June 7 workshops at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=600.

Learn more about the rest of the MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS conference at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar&main_id=582.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

 >>  HEALTH AND ART <<
featured Saturday, May 20, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

A fifteen year institution serving Chicago's Austin community, the Westside
Health Authority uses the capacity of local people to improve the health
and well-being of community residents. Their next step: To create a
cultural arts youth center. Host Thom Clark discusses the history and
dreams of the  Westside Health Authority with longtime leader Jacqueline
Reed, CEO & Founder, Yvonne Magee of the Austin Weed and Seed Program, and
Donyei Ebenezer, a youth organizer at Westside Health Authority.

Other events of interest . . .

>> CHICAGO PUBLIC RADIO'S COMMUNITY ADVISORY BOARD MEETING - May 18 <<

Chicago Public Radio invites the public to participate in their Community
Advisory Board meetings led by the Community Advisory Council. The meetings
seek to gather ideas and concerns about Chicago Public Radio and its role
in the community.
When: Thursday, May 18; 6:00-7:30 pm
Where: Columbia College, 600 S. Michigan Ave., Rm 401, Chicago

There's more information about the Community Advisory Council at
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/about/council.asp.

For more information about the event, call Jill Smith in Listener Services
at 312-948-4720.

Recently Asked Question .  . .

>> WHO'S COMING TO MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS THIS YEAR? <<

Approximately 100 journalists, media experts and nonprofit communicators.
They include:
Bonnifer Ballard, Heartland Alliance
Dave Beery, The Daily Herald
Martin Berg, Community Investment Corporation
Jeff Bierig, Minkus & Pearlman Public Relations
Anne Blanton, Chicago Community Trust
Wes Bleed, WGN-Radio
Lawrence Bommer, Chicago Reader/Freelance
Mark Brown, Chicago Sun-Times
Mike Burke, Bounce Learning Network
Cate Cahan, Chicago Public Radio
Dominic Calabrese, The Chicago Lighthouse
Karen Girolami Callam
Nora Moreno Cargie, Action for Children
Lou Carlozo, The Chicago Tribune
Thom Clark, Community Media Workshop
Deborah Cohen, Reuters
Christine Cupaiuolo, PopPolitics.com
Brad Cummings, Austin Voice
Phoebe Stein Davis, Illinois Humanities Council
Valerie Denney, Valerie Denney Communications
Nicole Dizon, Associated Press
Diane Doherty, Illinois Forum and Illinois Hunger Coalition
Deborah Douglas, Chicago Sun-Times
Juan Carlos Fanjul, WGN News
Mary Field, Chicago Tonight, WTTW
Steve Franklin, The Chicago Tribune
Janice Garth, Citizen Newspapers
Vicki Giammona, ABC 7 News at 11 a.m.
Carolyn Grisko, Carolyn Grisko & Associates
Cornelia Grumman, The Chicago Tribune
Alita Guillen, CBS 2 Morning News
Marilia Gutierrez, Reflejos Magazine/Daily Herald
Naz Hamid, Gapers Block
Suzanne Hanney, StreetWise
Dana Heupel, Copley News Service/The State Journal-Register
Ericka Huber, Giving Real Opportunities to Women (GROW)
Allan Jenkins, The Opportunity Agenda
Carrie Kaufman, PerformInk
Steve Kloehn, The Chicago Tribune
Kristin Kloberdanz, Time
Peggy Boyer Long, Illinois Issues
Kari Lydersen, The Washington Post
Karin McKie, Tree Falls Productions
Alton Miller, Columbia College
Richard Muhammad, National Training and Information Center
Anne Elizabeth Moore, Punk Planet
Susan O'Halloran
Lori Olszewski, The Chicago Tribune
Julie Parente, Voices for Illinois Children
Demetrius Patterson, Chicago Daily Defender
Amanda Paulson, Christian Science Monitor
Barbara Popovic, Executive Director, CAN TV
Greg Prather, CLTV
Toya Randall, Grand Victoria Foundation
Rosi Reyes, SPIN Project
Steve Rhodes, Beachwood Reporter
Cindy Richards, Chicago Parent
David Schaper, National Public Radio
Amy Schroeder, Venus Magazine
Dennis Snipe, Focustalk, WKKC-FM 89.3
Sara Snyder, Naperville Sun
Mark Suppelsa, FoxNews
Brian Sobolak, ChicagoBloggers
Michelle Stevens, Chicago Sun-Times
Dawn Turner Trice, The Chicago Tribune
Tracy Van Slyke, In These Times
Marnie Webb, Tech Soup
Brian Wellner, Hyde Park Herald/Lakefront Outlook
J. Ryan Williams, Boys & Girls Clubs of Chicago
Lisa Witter, Fenton Communications

to name a few, and hopefully you.

To bring a colleague or two for half off, download the brochure and mail in
your registration: http://www.newstips.org/MMC2006brochure.pdf.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." - Helen
Keller

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring.   She appreciates feedback,
karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.