[Imc-newsroom] Story Power/Health & Art/Quiz/IssueLab/Media Guide Sale

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Tue May 30 10:32:01 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - May 30, 2006
Coming up at the Workshop . . .

>> STORY POWER - June 7 <<
Led by Susan O'Halloran, veteran storyteller, trainer and writer

Use stories to win allies, motivate your members and turn strangers
(including the press) into supporters. What is your organization's story?
Information and statistics are not enough. Be noticed and remembered. Set
your organization apart from the rest. This workshop is for communicators
who are looking for innovative and effective ways to describe their work.
Learn more at:
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=30
.

Learn about BUILDING A STRONG ONLINE COMMUNITY, SPIN 101: MEDIA BOOT CAMP
and other June 7 workshops at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=600.

>> THE POWER OF RADIO - June 8 <<

Bring your questions and perspective to this FREE roundtable discussion on
the future of news, public affairs and talk radio with
- Wes Bleed, News Director, WGN Radio 890
- Torey Malatia, President and General Manager, Chicago Public Radio
- Art Porter, Executive Producer, Crazy Howard McGee morning show, WGCI
- Javier Salas, La Tremenda 1200 AM
- and others.
When: 3-4 p.m. on Thursday, June 8.
Where: Columbia College, 1104 S. Wabash, 8th Fl, Chicago
RSVP at radio at newstips.org.
Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=614.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

 >>  HEALTH AND ART <<
featured Saturday, June 3, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

A fifteen year institution serving Chicago's Austin community, the Westside
Health Authority uses the capacity of local people to improve the health
and well-being of community residents. Their next step: To create a
cultural arts youth center. Host Thom Clark discusses the history and
dreams of the  Westside Health Authority with longtime leader Jacqueline
Reed, CEO & Founder, Yvonne Magee of the Austin Weed and Seed Program, and
Donyei Ebenezer, a youth organizer at Westside Health Authority.

New Nonprofit Resource . .  .

>> ISSUE LAB <<

A new nonprofit resource is now available on the web: IssueLab.  It
exclusively features and promotes the research work of nonprofits. If your
organization does research -- reports, surveys, studies, data sets, white
papers, policy briefs -- consider adding it to IssueLab. Registration takes
two minutes, is free, and opens the door to building greater awareness
about your findings and analysis. You can also subscribe to IssueLab
mailing lists and get info about research that interests you delivered
right to your inbox. IssueLab also offers an RSS news feed.  Learn more at
www.issuelab.com.

>> MEDIA QUIZ - TRUE OR FALSE? <<

1 - Christian Science Monitor's Amanda Paulson grew up in the Chicago
suburbs and came to Chicago in 2003 to be the Monitor's Midwest
correspondent. She divides her time between news and features, with a
particular focus on education, culture, social and urban issues and
sometimes legal/ethical topics. She can be reached at
paulsona at csmonitor.com.

2 - Mark Suppelsa grew up in Chicago and before returning -- he now
co-anchors Fox  News at Nine - he worked at WFRV-TV in Green Bay and
KSTP-TV in
Minneapolis.  Mark has won four Emmys, an Edward R. Murrow award, as well
as other awards.  He can be reached at mark.suppelsa at foxchicago.com.

3 - Chicago Tribune's education writer Lori Olszewski grew up in Chicago's
Roseland neighborhood.  She's been a daily newspaper reporter for 28 years
covering a wide variety of issues. Olszewski was a Nieman fellow at Harvard
University in 1999-2000 and has received numerous regional and national
education writing awards.  She can be reached at lolszewski at tribune.com.

4 - A Chicago native, Lawrence Bommer writes a weekly column, "Opening
Nights", for the Friday section of the Chicago Tribune; where he also
contributes theater criticism and feature articles. His work has appeared
in Stagebill, The Advocate, Windy City Times, the Chicago Reader, Hollywood
Reporter, PerformInk, Inside Chicago, Illinois Entertainer, Plays
International, TheatreMania, and Chicago Enterprise.  He can be reached at
Lbommer at aol.com.

5 - Cornelia Grumman grew up in Evanston.  She serves on the Chicago
Tribune's editorial board and writes primarily about social policy, state
issues, education, juvenile justice and the death penalty. Before joining
the editorial board, Grumman spent six years as a metro, state government
and Internet reporter for the Tribune. She won the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for
editorials about reforming Illinois' system of capital punishment.  She can
be reached at cgrumman at tribune.com.

6 - Amanda Paulson, Mark Suppelsa, Lori Olszewski, Lawrence Bommer,
Cornelia Grumman and many others will be at Community Media Workshop's
Making Media Connections conference on June 8 at Columbia College 1104 S.
Wabash, 8th Fl., Chicago.

1-6 are all TRUE.  Source: "Getting On The Air and Into Print" media guide
and http://newstips.org/conference_presenters.php.  Learn more about who
else is coming to Making Media Connections at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Calendar+Sub&main_id=599 .

>> "GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT" SUMMER SALE <<

Prices are at rock bottom for those ordering the Workshop's "Getting On The
Air & Into Print" media guide online with check or credit card.
Non-profits pay $90 to get both the digital and print version; others pay
$170.  Order at http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

By the way, Making Media Connections attendees will receive the digital
version of the 2006 media guide FREE - regularly a $149 value.

Sample pages of the guide are at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=576.

At www.newstips.org . . .

>> LIBRARIES WITH GETTING ON THE AIR & INTO PRINT <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=507

Don't have time to wait for a media guide to come to you in the mail? You
can come to our offices to pick one up immediately or go to one of these
libraries listed her that carries the guide.

>> WRITING LETTERS TO THE EDITOR <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips+Sub&main_id=21

It's a respectable way to express your point of view and gain exposure in
the marketplace. Writing a letter to the editor is a great way to correct a
mistake, misquote, or distortion in a recent news story; illuminate one or
both sides of a controversy involving your issues; or comment on how
proposed regulations or policies may affect your constituents.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring.   She appreciates feedback,
karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.