[Imc-newsroom] CMW is hiring! Around town

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Mon Oct 2 15:49:45 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES ­October 2, 2006
Coming up at the Workshop . . .

>>POWER PITCHING ­ THIS FRIDAY, OCT. 6 <<

The one true secret to making the news isŠ call reporters. Learn how to prepare and what to say, and practice with an expert so you'll be ready to make the most of the minute after a reporters says "Hello?" Learn more & register at "http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=52" http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=52 .

>> BEING INTERVIEWED ­ THURS., OCT 12 <<

Learn to answer reporters' questions in order to tell your story well from a master of the art‹Wanda Wells, community affairs director for Fox Chicago WFLD and My 50 Chicago WPWR TV stations, and morning news anchor at Clearchannel Radio's V-103 FM. Learn more & register at
 "http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=77" http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=77

You'll find a full fall schedule at our web site, too!

You can pre-order the new edition of Getting On Air & Into Print at pre-publication rates online right now at  "http://www.newstips.org/cart/" http://www.newstips.org/cart/. The Early Bird discount of

>> WORKSHOP IS HIRING <<

After three years at the Workshop, our New Media Manager Karen Kring is moving on to a new position at Illinois Institute of Technology. We're accepting applications for her position until October 20. If you would like to write these e-notes, get in touch with us! Learn more about the position at
 "http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=About+CMW&main_id=9" http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=About+CMW&main_id=9

>> COMMUNITY, MEDIA, AND YOU: SATURDAYS , 8 P.M. ON CAN-TV CH. 21  <<

Join host Thom Clark, Workshop president, and guests for discussions from Chicago's neighborhoods. Saturday, Oct. 7 he discusses youth organizing with Public Action for Change Today, PACT. Saturday, Oct. 14 he discusses how one's language affects one's outlook on life with Maricela Garcia, executive director of Latinos United.

>> LATINO COUNCIL ON THE MEDIA: 8-5 PM WEDS., OCT. 4 @ HILTON CHICAGO <<

Nearly 500 nonprofit communicators, journalists and other folks are expected Wednesday at Latino Council on the Media's annual conference themed "Media: The Power To Influence." Ray Suarez keynotes. Cost is $99/$35 for students. Learn more & register at
 "http://www.lcomchicago.org/" http://www.lcomchicago.org/

>> COVERING THE INNER CITY/URBAN POOR PANEL: 7:30 PM WEDS., OCT 4  <<

Discussion sponsored by Chicago Media Action at Chicago Temple, 77 W. Washington St. Cliff Kelley of WVON moderates a panel that includes Paul  Street, La'Keisha Gray, Steve Macek, and Beauty Turner. Free. Learn more at
 "http://www.chicagomediaaction.org/news.php?id=481" http://www.chicagomediaaction.org/news.php?id=481

>> COVERING KATRINA, UNCOVERING RACE: 5:30 THURS., NOV. 2 @ DEPAUL <<

Cheryl Corley of NPR and Gary Rivlin of The New York Times share their eyewitness accounts of America's greatest natural disaster at DePaul Student Center, Room 120, Lincoln Park Campus, 2250 N. Sheffield Ave. Free. More information is available by calling DePaul Humanities Center, 773-325-4580.

Thank you for reading!

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists, educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet, briefing papers, sources and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College Chicago
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the subject line.