[Imc-newsroom] eNotes: Across from the Ashes, Upcoming Workshops

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Tue Oct 31 08:50:52 CST 2006

>> THANKS FOR YOUR CALLS & EMAILS <<

Thanks to those who wrote or called
when our building on the 600 block of South Wabash was cordoned off for
three days last week due to a five-alarm fire across the street. We're back
in business and will begin shipping pre-ordered media guides later this
week!

>> 2007 GETTING ON AIR & INTO PRINT <<

Order the new edition of our
media guide providing updated information on reaching area journalists and
contacts of Chicagoland journalists for $80-book/$80 CD-ROM/$130 both
(government & nonprofit rates; for-profit costs slightly higher). Learn
more or order at http://www.newstips.org/cart/

Coming up at the Workshop .
. .

>> PRESENT LIKE A PRO, THIS THURSDAY, 9 AM TO 2 PM <<

Whether to
present, persuade, or both, standing before a group of people
is
communications at its most essential. Learn more and register at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=79

>> NEWSLETTERS: READERS, WRITING, GRAND DESIGNS, THURS. 11/9, 9 AM TO 2 PM
<<

A crash course on how to fine tune, or create from scratch, your
organization's newsletter
through effective design and collaboration with
co-workers. This session will be hosted by IT Resource Center, 29 E.
Madison St., s. 1005. Learn more & register at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=80

>> STORY POWER, TUES. 11/14, 10 AM TO 4 PM <<

Information and statistics
alone are not enough to engage a journalist-or
any other audience. Instead,
they want to hear your organization's story. Learn
to use stories to win
allies, motivate members, and turn strangers (including
the press) into
supporters. Learn more & register at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=81

Newstips . . .

Find out what
local nonprofits are up to by checking out Newstips on our home page,
www.newstips.org. More thorough than a news release but shorter than a
full-on report, these tips are designed to provide area journalists with
story ideas. Pitch Newstips editor Curtis Black by emailing him at
curtis at newstips.org.

Coming
up on CAN-TV . . .

EVERY SATURDAY ON CHANNEL 21 AT 8 PM
Community Media
and You, featuring community voices in an interview setting with host Thom
Clark, president of Community Media Workshop. Featured shows in the next
two weeks are

On Saturday, Nov. 4, Matt Wetstein, Aaron Bowen, and
organizer Stephen Smith discuss the potential of youth leadership and their
new group Public Action for Today, PACT.

On Saturday, Nov. 11, Maricela
Garcia of Latinos United and Thom discuss the fact that the United States
has no official language and recent attempts to change that in the context
of the growing number of Latinos in our region and across the U.S.

Are you
ready to be on Community Media and You? Pitch us! Contact Karri Freeman at
312-344-6400 with your story and guest ideas.

Quick Hits . . .

Here's a
useful listserv Workshop staff subscribed to recently:

If you want to
track what major dailies across the U.S. and religious opinion mags are
printing on stem-cells, politics, and evangelicals' influence on policy,
check out www.faithinpubliclife.org. The site features a blog as well as a
free email list, the "Daily Faith Newsreel" that collects headlines from
national media outlets.

Thanks for
reading!

-----
Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community
Media Workshop
at Columbia College Chicago
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago,
IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to
alert colleagues to events, issues and opportunities that affect us and our
communities. To break our hearts and remove yourself from this list, reply
to this message with "Opt-Out" in the subject line.